Author Thread: Now how about swearing?
Admin

Now how about swearing?
Posted : 2 Nov, 2008 09:09 PM

This day and age it's hard to go anywhere or do anything without hearing a good amount of swearing. It's a common, accepted thing in the world and plenty of Christians I know swear quite a bit and don't have a problem with it. This I don't understand as I can't seem to view swearing as anything but wrong. I don't know if I would consider it a sin or not but personally I find it...immature. To say the least I suppose. But this is simply my view, what are some other sides of the story? Or perhaps a voice in agreement with me?

View Profile
History
Now how about swearing?
Posted : 6 Nov, 2008 02:11 PM

I agree with you...I don't like profanity either. It burns

my ears and makes my heart cringe. Even before I

became a Christian I felt the same way.

Does it really serve much of purpose in either realms of life, the worldly or spiritual to use it?

Will it make your point any more effective and true by using "cuss" words?

Is it really necessary to say harsh words even in a comedic sense?

I don't want to sound like a prude, but I do hate it. I would

say it probably would bordeline a sin of sorts if you take

God's word literally that all unrighteousness is sin. Also,

does the bible verse that states what comes out of a person's heart via the mouth can defile him/her sound familar?

You can show the love of Christ in word just as much as

you can in deed as you can disply the death of the devil

in word just as much as you can in deed.

You either choose to speak words of life or words of death

and swearing to me would fall under the category of death.

Will

spri1458

View Profile
History
Now how about swearing?
Posted : 6 Nov, 2008 09:09 PM

I don't like swearing either, as it makes me uneasy. My mother taught me not to swear, but I eventually had to decide for myself to avoid it. I believe it detracts from intelligent speech and see it as a lack of self-control. Due to the latter point and the fact that children often begin swearing as a means of fitting in with their friends, I can see how one would see it as immature. I cannot see when it would ever be necessary. Then there's this passage as well: Colossians 3:5-8.

View Profile
History
Now how about swearing?
Posted : 28 Nov, 2008 12:42 PM

:angel:

Swearing is WRONG!!

If you cuss and fuss like the sinners and unsaved folk then where is the good Christian example?

Huh? :buddies:

Also...maybe it me, but I hear swearing and it hurts my ears. I stand in front of someone whose swearing, I see imaginary WEEDS and SNAKES rolling out of their mouth and trying to attach themselves to ME!!

:boxing: I bind it in the NAME OF JESUS!!

Alright....I exaggerated it a bit about the snakes and weeds,but....you get it, right?

Peace & Love

Seleta

:yay:

View Profile
History
Now how about swearing?
Posted : 6 Dec, 2008 06:07 AM

maybe it depends on the swear-word and the context? for example, i believe where Jesus talks about the salt losing its saltiness, he likens it to being of less worth than manure. in this day and age, we sometimes say something is not worth cr*p. i dont really think that is a swear-word, but some people might consider it so.

this being said, there are definitely some words christians should not use out of context (scripture talks about letting no filthy talk come from our mouths, not coarse joking, etc.)

View Profile
History
Now how about swearing?
Posted : 6 Dec, 2008 08:25 AM

In all honesty, we all know the answer. I will go ahead and say it at the risk of all the hate mail.

There are three things that would allow a "Christian" to still talk that way (I am not talking about the occasional slip).

1) Not really saved, as in no Holy Spirit.

2) Very low intelligence, small vocabulary.

3) Very low self-esteem, as in trying to fit in.

As for context, I can think of only three off the top of my head.

1) Da*n-God condemning something

2) Hel*-Hades, the actual place

3) As*-A donkey

If you use them in any other context, you should be feeling convicted, if not, see #1 in the first half of post.

In my opinion, substituting words is the same as saying the original, you are still thinking it. There are too many other, appropriate phrases that we could use instead.

Please send all hate mail to the author of this post. Lol.

Blessings all,

Leon

View Profile
History
Now how about swearing?
Posted : 5 Jan, 2009 05:30 PM

Wow I am glad I am not the only one who Hates swearing. I said one swear word in my life and I was six. My mom spanked me pretty hard. I am 26 and I still respect that spanking:bow:.

tara

View Profile
History
Now how about swearing?
Posted : 6 Jan, 2009 06:41 PM

Remember, the LORD told us to have our speech be full of "salt" NOT PEPPER!!!!! lol :laugh:

Of course I don't think anyone has said it better than dear brother Leon here. It is the appearance of evil and makes us look like the world that we were called out of. We are to be in the world and not of it.

I once had a friend who was so tired of hearing the people she worked with cursing up a blue streak, day after day at the office, that one day, one of the bosses was reaching under her desk to get something that dropped on the floor and let the S--- bomb drop. My friend had had enough and she turned to her boss and said, "You know, I wouldn't have in my hand what you just had in your mouth!" The boss always tried to avoid cursing in front of her again. True story!:rolleyes:

View Profile
History
Now how about swearing?
Posted : 7 Jan, 2009 12:13 AM

I wanted to explain that when I called the salvation of those still cursing into question, I did not do so lightly. I say that for a reason, personal experience.

I spent over a year in full time prison ministry, and saw hundreds of new converts. The very first thing the Holy Spirit started working on them about was their language. Without exception. I don't know why God chooses that first, but He does. If you see someone claiming to be a Christian, but can't control their cursing, watch out. I am not saying it is impossible, just unlikely.

I believe that God works on us about cursing because it is the first thing others see. We are representing Him, not ourselves. There should be a noticeable difference.

Love and joy,

Leon

angel_in_mn

View Profile
History
Now how about swearing?
Posted : 7 Jan, 2009 05:49 PM

Oh Leon, no one would send you hate mail, haha. At least I seriously hope not anyways.

But what is the difference between intentional and unintentional? Like say you slam your fingers in a car door, it's not like someone really has time to control what they are about to say. So is there really a difference between dropping the F-bomb or yelling "fudgesickles" instead? Who really knows, I guess.

But, I completely understand what you are saying about the way you could use any word in a bad context.

View Profile
History
Now how about swearing?
Posted : 7 Jan, 2009 08:55 PM

None of us are perfect, as much as I'd like to claim to be, that is just the way it is.

The difference I was speaking of is that some don't notice or even care that they are cursing. No repentance. A Christian is convicted by it and tries not to curse.

Blessings,

Leon

Page : 1 2