Author Thread: Why smoking and Drinking?
hubbarddebra99

View Profile
History
Why smoking and Drinking?
Posted : 4 May, 2011 04:54 PM

Why in old movies did they seem to do nothing but smoke and drink all though the movie?

I just saw Breakfast at Tiffanys, and it's a great movie, but all that smoking!

I wanted to bat my hands at my tv screen!

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 May, 2011 09:54 AM

lol no one knew the dangers of it back then.

Macemen

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 May, 2011 08:44 AM

as far as smoking goes doctors back then said it was good for you

OutOfStep

View Profile
History
Posted : 15 May, 2011 08:10 PM

Tobacco helped build this country. Say what you want, but it has had some positive influence in the country. Yes, my grandpa died from lung cancer, but I stand by it. I don't smoke anymore('cept funnerals) and it makes me sick smelling it. That said, it is considered more dangerous now, and less cool. Whatever, there used to be a building lovingly referred to as a Vomitorium. Wanna guess what that was about? Now we know the dangers of sucking on the third knuckle, and yet bulimia is still huge. Not in America, we are an obesse culture. I meant with models... I kid! I kid cuz I love...

meekor

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Jun, 2011 12:39 AM

lol well back in the days of old that is what they did ...alot of the times it wasn't in the script it was what the actors did normally ...drink and smoke....not to mention thier backers were the tobacco companies or the liquour sponsor...sadly it was most of the actors and actresses trademarks.....some really were drinking and back then it was 1 dry rehearsal and 1 final cut.....It was completely acceptable ....

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jun, 2011 01:39 PM

No one knew?? That's not true. I must have been in the 3rd grade in the 50s when my teacher told us smoking causes cancer. My father smoked, and even at that age, I put 2 and 2 together......all of that smoke going into the body can not be good for you! That's all I needed.

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jun, 2011 01:39 PM

No one knew?? That's not true. I must have been in the 3rd grade in the 50s when my teacher told us smoking causes cancer. My father smoked, and even at that age, I put 2 and 2 together......all of that smoke going into the body can not be good for you! That's all I needed.

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jun, 2011 01:40 PM

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jun, 2011 01:41 PM

I apologize for the triple postings. I am knew here and, when I clicked "submit", it didn't appear anything was happening.

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Jun, 2011 09:52 PM

I believe Hollywood doesn't reflect American culture, nor does it reflect who we as Americans want to be. The bottom line comes down to the producers and staff of every studio, and their goal is to make it big at the box office. Drinking and smoking were more accepted in the past than it is now, though people knew good and well decades ago that the two were poor for your health(as a sidenote, I'm not that ignorant. I know 'smoking' cigars and pipes are fine so long as you don't inhale, and drinking certain wines can be considered healthy given a proper limit is never surpassed).

ONE of this country's legs were supported heavily by tobacco, but that's not all. Cotton was another leg, and the men and women behind the labor and incredible amount of patents for new inventions was one of many other legs this country needed to stand on its own. In my opinion we're passed the days of yore- it's off-putting to see a smoker or a drunkard in movies and in reality. I could describe why, but it would take up even more walls of text than I've already typed- just please don't bash my opinion since I didn't fully realize it as well as I'd have liked. =P