Author Thread: A question for guys and girls...
angel_in_mn

View Profile
History
A question for guys and girls...
Posted : 20 Dec, 2008 09:41 PM

First of all, I am sorry I couldn't really figure out which section to post this question in. This is actually a question addressed to everyone.

Here is my situation. I am a person who does not come from a very religious immediate family. I want to learn about God and the Bible. I accept the lord as my savior and I am truly, truly a God fearing person. I have not been brought up to be religious and I want to change that. I am connected to God and believe in him with all my being.

I am very ashamed to admit I know nothing about the Bible. The only relationship I have with God is the only one I know, and have ever known, between Him and I. I live my life in a way I feel is right and I constantly think about God in all my actions.

I would like to start attending the church that is near my house. My problem is that I am shy and for whatever reason that is holding me back from just walking right in there. I am wondering what I should do - I feel so incredibly lost. I would like to meet some people who are around my age who can help me to become involved in the church. Any advice for my situation is deeply appreciated. I have no idea where to start.

God bless,

angel_in_mn

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 Jan, 2009 12:13 PM

Thanks Dizl,

That is great advice. Angel, I know right where you are coming from. I became a believer back when I was 21 years old. I was shy about religious people because I felt so dirty and unworthy to come into God's house at the time. I felt that they would look down on me or expect too much of me. So I did exactly what the other believers in this thread have advised you to do, I called the pastor. He was a warm and caring man with a wonderful heartfelt laugh. He became to me the father that I never had, because like you, no one in my family was saved. They all thought I had fallen off my rocker. One of the first things he did was place me under the care and guidance of a godly family who was leading a small group Bible study in their home at the time. I will never forget them. The husband was a born-again Jew. I felt warm, welcomed and protected in their home. The best thing he ever did for me was open the Scripture starting with Genesis and he let all of us bounce our ideas about God off of him. Some of my ideas as well as others had come from being in the world, but he never looked shocked, he simply pointed me back to the Scriptures over and over again, until each issue was settled in my mind and heart. His recommendation was to read the Bible in it's entirety starting from the beginning. I did. It was hard to get through Leviticus and Chronicles, but something amazing happened when I reached Matthew. When I began reading there about the geneology or "birth record" of Christ, I began to cry because I understood what had come before in the Old Testament, so the New Testament just came alive for me. I know that is also because I had the new eyes of the Holy Spirit in me as well. But I will always look back in gratitude to these folks for helping me become grounded in God's Word. That is what a new believer needs first and foremost and then we MUST fellowship with other believers for our own good and for what is called our "sanctification" which means our growing and changing in HIM. It is a process where we diminish and HE grows in us so that year by year we become more like HIM in our choices, temperament and will. I hope this wasn't too much for you to read. I pray God's continued blessing upon you as you seek HIM. Hope this helps you.:angel:

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 Jan, 2009 12:50 PM

Hi Breadlady,

Welcome to the forums! I loved that you were started from the beginning. I think that if you were raised in the church, and finally decided to commit, you should start in John, and then the epistles.

However, if you have little or no knowledge of the word, it is better to read from "In the beginning" and end with "Amen". Then....do it again. I can't count the number of times I have read through the Bible. At one time, I was reading it through every 2 months for about a year. But I can not be fooled by people quoting out of context, which seems to be getting more and more popular these days.

Reading the whole Bible, gives you an understanding that few people have. You don't just know what...you know why. It also makes it harder to be drawn away by false prophets, of which there are many. Great to have you here sister.

God's favor in your search,

Leon

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 Jan, 2009 04:14 PM

Thanks Leon!

I am blessed to be here and I have enjoyed reading your posts. Keep up the good work and standing firm in God's most holy Word. Angel, I hope everything we all have said here is a help and a blessing to you dear sister. Alexis:waving:

Redwingshockey

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Feb, 2009 11:38 PM

Greatings from the 612. I'm actually from Edina/ Eden Prarie and I could help with some suggestions from the southern suberbs. ( and yes i know I can't spell). I also used to work at Club 3 Degrees in Downtown Mlps. I know this might come off as bad but I'm just trying to help.

Have you ever heard of Bethel University, They have a really cool worship service on sunday nights one at 8pm and the other at 10. It is called Vespers. It is actually the thing I miss most from Minnesota. http://www.bethel.edu/campus-ministries/vespers/index

I'm in the Army now...........

Hope this helps,

Alex

livin4HIM2010

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Jun, 2009 07:58 AM

Hi my name is Morgan

I didn't grow up in a church going family but i started going when i was nine. I understand your shyness very well i'm not good with meeting new people out of the blue and trying to work up the friendship but here's the trick don't make it about the people you can meet the first time God knows your want for a church and your want for people to get to know you when you arrive....I know you say you are not familiar with the bible but it contains a passage saying "Ask and you will receive." God knows your heart and your passion and he is going to bless you with what you ask IF you trust that he will.

I do agree with the girl that says God will love you no matter what and you don't have to know the bible but look at the bible as this....you and God have a relationship just like any other relationship you wanna know as much about the person as possible the bible is your tool to know God and everything he has done as well as with your personal relationship with him. And with the bible it will help defend you when you don't know answers because in this day and age people are constantly questioning the Christian walk and the bible contains many answers to those difficult questions. You can call it your sword in battle because many times those are battles and sometimes they can get you to question but what i say to that is....

Stand strong on what you believe and trust that what you and God have is stronger than any other bond you have your life and with the church just take that first step of faith God will see you through and also i will be praying for you (although you think I'll forget by tomorrow to pray for you i won't I'll be praying for you everyday)

I know to you I'm probably just a kid but i hope this advice helps you

God has amazing plans for you angel and what leon said about contacting the pastor that is a great idea because maybe he can hook you up with a bible :)

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 May, 2010 08:55 PM

I do not believe a person should go to a church for a preacher, deacon, or any other reason but to worship God and learn more about him. The Bible is clear that Jesus went to church. No church is perfect and all churches have some people will probably look down at you but you should try to find a church that you can get plugged into and really learn about God and so you can be used for the kingdom.

View Profile
History
Posted : 27 Sep, 2010 05:56 AM

Hi little sis! : D

I would like to start with, please don't get caught up in religion, unless it is helping those who are in distress and very needy of love.

I really do recommend you become hunger in your heart to know Jesus and the Father more and more. Not saying you don't already, of course.

Read and read the word in whatever translation is best for you to understand. and do try and find a Church you not only like but have fun at. Love, Joy and Peace are soo important to be in when your young in Christ..

That's it Oh and get water baptized and filled with the Holy Spirit are very important too.

Love ya little sister and see ya there, ; D

Ron

RedeemedofTheLord

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 May, 2013 01:07 PM

Hi Angel,

First and foremost I would tell you there's absolutely no reason to be ashamed about not knowing anything about the bible, to be able to even acknowledge something like that shows that you have a willingness to learn which is what God desires He says ''The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way.'' (Psalm 25:9) No one knows everything especially when it comes to our God Jesus Christ but as long as you remain hungry for Truth and continue to depend on Him to teach you, you will learn all you need I can guarantee that! Remember He desires to teach you alll things!!!! Don't depend on your own understanding of what is right the bible says ''There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death.'' - Proverbs 14:12 Instead allow the Word of God to show you what is right and what is wrong because it shows it all from His perspective.

The fact that you weren't brought up in a family who Fears the Lord but you are a God fearing person is GREAT, it shows Gods Grace in calling you and I believe He intends on using your testimony to bring your family to Himself.

Fellowship is one of the most important things in this Walk. The enemy wants you afraid to go into that church because He knows if you get connected to other believers it will be harder for Him to devour you, there's strength in numbers.

I hope this essay lol helps. God bless you in your pursuit of Him!

If you want fellowship I'll be more than happy to fellowship with you via Skype and anyone else who desires fellowship. Just message me :D.

Page : 1 2