Author Thread: A question for guys and girls...
angel_in_mn

View Profile
History
A question for guys and girls...
Posted : 20 Dec, 2008 09:41 PM

First of all, I am sorry I couldn't really figure out which section to post this question in. This is actually a question addressed to everyone.

Here is my situation. I am a person who does not come from a very religious immediate family. I want to learn about God and the Bible. I accept the lord as my savior and I am truly, truly a God fearing person. I have not been brought up to be religious and I want to change that. I am connected to God and believe in him with all my being.

I am very ashamed to admit I know nothing about the Bible. The only relationship I have with God is the only one I know, and have ever known, between Him and I. I live my life in a way I feel is right and I constantly think about God in all my actions.

I would like to start attending the church that is near my house. My problem is that I am shy and for whatever reason that is holding me back from just walking right in there. I am wondering what I should do - I feel so incredibly lost. I would like to meet some people who are around my age who can help me to become involved in the church. Any advice for my situation is deeply appreciated. I have no idea where to start.

God bless,

angel_in_mn

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Dec, 2008 10:24 PM

I've been a Christian my whole life, my mother became a Christian when she was pregnant with me, so in some strange way I really do feel like I was born with it.

I'm shy too when it comes to going visiting a new church. I tend to like to pick churches that are huge so I get lost in the crowd, instead of standing out as a "newbie". But I really do want to know the members of the church like friends and family members....I just don't know how.

I have known a lot of Christian friends growing up, but currently I have only one Christian friend whom I talk and hang out with on a regular basis.

Your'e not the only mid-twenties person out there who feels kinda lost about the whole Christian Family thing, I'm still seeking. I'm hoping it's just a "growing pains" type thing.

Many churches, especially bigger ones, offer "home groups" where people in a similar age range or in the same vicinity of each other get together at someone's house for Bible studies in small groups. This might work out well for you.

Luckily so far I haven't visited any churches or home groups that bite :laugh: , so I'm feeling more confident going to them.

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Dec, 2008 05:34 AM

Well, I haven't been your age in over 20 years, but I am going to offer a little advice. If this is a neighborhood church, look up the phone number and call the Pastor. Be honest with him, and he will help make the initial visit easier.

I am an Evangelist, so I don't have the shyness problem, but I know the importance of picking the right church home. Ask some people that go there, what kind of environment the church has. Make sure they are focused on love, but still offer Truth. The last thing you need, as a new Christian, is a church that sugar coats the Gospel.

I was raised in the church, Mom and Grandmother taught Sunday school. But, I wandered in and out for most of my life. What I am trying to say is that it doesn't matter how long you have been saved, or how much of the Bible you know. It is about what is in your heart. Until God puts it in your heart, it is just a history lesson.

Love and grace,

Leon

cranston

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Dec, 2008 10:43 AM

First my answer will offend some and thats ok, may be it will encourage them to seek the Truth. I notice you used the word religion, the Lord do not like religion he seek thoes that worship in spirit and truth, religious people have a form of Godliness but denie the power there of. I think you are in a good place, for the Lord called his deciple to himeself first, to learn of him, to know his voice and his ways, when the time is right he will direct you to a fellowship where he has the preeminence, not a pastor, or decon but Christ Jesus, for he is the head of the church. I can hear the religous people forksake not the assemble, yea go and read that in the correct context and let the Lord bring you into the knowledge of his Truth then get back to me. So young lady sit and ask the Lord to reveal himself to you while you read his word and open your understanding so you can understand his word, that he may increase while self derease for his words, are Spirit and Life.

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Dec, 2008 12:04 PM

My brother Cranston is correct, up to a point. The word religious only got to mean something bad recently. That all started during the charismatic movement, and personally, I couldn't care less what you call it, as long as you take it to heart. That is the distinction they were trying to make when they started saying being religious was bad. They are right about there being a difference in knowing the word, and living the word, but I don't think what you call it makes any difference.

Now, as for the assembly, you can only progress to a certain point without fellowship. The assembly of the saints is for your benefit, not God's. He is wherever you are, you don't have to go anywhere to find Him.Proverbs 18:1 says,"A man who isolates himself seeks his own desire; He rages against all wise judgment". I think Solomon put it pretty well in that verse. If you are seeking God, you want fellowship, if not, you are seeking your own desires, not God's. I am not saying we don't all need some alone time with God, just that you see some really twisted ideas from the ones that study only on their own. As the apostle Paul said, "How can one learn unless someone teach him"?

Blessings,

Leon

angel_in_mn

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Dec, 2008 01:49 PM

Thanks a lot for the responses so far - I do appreciate it. I will take all advice to heart.

Leon - I was hoping that you would be one of the ones to respond. I have read a lot of your posts in many topics and I really respect what you have to say. I know my heart is in the right place. I have already checked out the church's website and I will probably end up calling a pastor to learn more about this church. The only part of the Bible I have read is revelations, but my next step is to open it up and start learning and growing.

Thank you all for your understanding. Any other opinions and/or advice is welcome.

MissJoy

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Dec, 2008 02:44 PM

Angel,

Well, I wish I were closer to where you are because I would take your hand in mine and lead you right through the door. Leon gives good advice when he said to contact the pastor.

Pray to God about your shyness; that He will help you overcome enough of it to enjoy your Church visit without feeling anxious. You said you don't know much about the Bible. Are you familiar with the Holy Spirit? Ask God to send the Holy Spirit to comfort you during this time and to ease you through the shyness. But above all else, seek Jesus. He does not care how much or how little you know about the Bible - He cares about your soul. He will be the greatest friend you will ever have if you will let Him in your heart.

Do keep us posted on your progress, little sister. And please, feel free to message me anytime if you need a friend.

In Him,

MissJoy

jezcie

View Profile
History
Posted : 27 Dec, 2008 09:51 AM

hi angel..

Praise God that u loved God..

As what friends here said, pray to God for your shyness, so that God will gives u strenght to go to church. I think u have to think positive, maybe not to think too much about what people say about u...As u know, church is a place to worship God, so it is a place for everyone . U should take your first step by attending the church as u said and then ask the right person there who can leads and teaches u about christian. At first, it is something new to u, but then it will be ok. God would be happy if u want to follow Him :). With blessing of God everything will go smoothly for u.

I'm not a good adviser but ...

May God Bless U!!!!

Psalm 27:1

The Lord is my light and my salvation;

I will fear no one.

The Lord protects me from all danger;

I will never be afraid.

:prayingf: Amen...

mlthomas

View Profile
History
Posted : 27 Dec, 2008 10:21 AM

Pastor Leon,

I do not have to add because good her good Godly Advice.

Plus you are 100% right about the religion comment the other brother made.

Man you are about to have me ask you where to send my offering:applause:

mlthomas

View Profile
History
Posted : 27 Dec, 2008 10:30 AM

sorry,

I did not proof read before I sent my message:ROFL:

I ment leon you gave her good Godly Advice.

dizl

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 Dec, 2008 01:57 PM

Hi Angel in MN,

I would like to add my own personal viewpoint. I have been part of large churches and small churches. I probably would advise you try a few churches out to find one you feel comfortable in and that is friendly. I go to a small church now and it is truly like a family, which is really nice if your biological family are not Christians.

Maybe you can ask a friend to go with you to church if you don't want to go alone. You don't always know what people believe until you ask them. Also services during the week tend to be less populated than on Sunday, so you may want to try that route.

For Bible reading, I would like to suggest you start with the Gospel of John and then read, Matthew, Mark and Luke. They are directly about the life of Jesus and should help you get to know Him better.

Best wishes.

Dizl

Page : 1 2