Author Thread: Better to marry then to burn
Admin

Better to marry then to burn
Posted : 14 Oct, 2011 01:33 PM

What would you rather do ....marry or burn?

View Profile
History
Posted : 15 Oct, 2011 12:30 AM

Really this is more a problem for men as apparently our sex drive is 20 times greater than a woman. I'd rather marry than burn because to me sex would be an essential part of a relationship - unfortunately most women can "take it or leave it" which means this advice is not really relevant to them.

View Profile
History
Posted : 15 Oct, 2011 06:48 PM

I don`t take all those cold showers just because I`m dirty.:dancingp:

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Oct, 2011 01:56 PM

:laugh:

Sex is important to most women. What makes you think we can take it or leave it? Men have to take it if married and leave it if not. That is if you are a true Christian.

Woman have to do the same thing.

Seems a bit equal to me on that topic.

I would rather marry but then have to wait on God to marry.

:angel:

EverybodyNeedsFriend

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Oct, 2011 06:07 AM

I'd rather burn. haha

If I had married the men whom I dated I would be thrice divorced.

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Oct, 2011 08:49 AM

I've always been a little bit confused by the practicality of the whole "better to marry than burn" advice.

OK, I agree that it is better to marry than to burn. But HOW does a girl apply that advice? It's not like she can just go hunt down a good Christian man and get married, and I don't think that marrying just any available guy is a very good idea either. It seems like that advice is great...but not practical for women.

Any thoughts on that? Does this mean that the advice is really only intended for men?

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Oct, 2011 01:29 PM

It is intended for both men & women and comes from the verses below. Of course I believe that "burn" here refers to burning with desire rather than burning in Hell. Although that can be Hell and leads there::glow:

1 Corinthians 7:7-9 (KJV)

For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.

I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I.

But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

Incidentally a great source for looking up scriptures using key words is; http://www.blueletterbible.org/search/

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Oct, 2011 08:16 PM

Definitely getting married. :laugh:

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Oct, 2011 09:13 AM

the key word in that scripture passage is "contain" which refers to self control.

There are both Men and Women who do not desire to get married or have little interest in sex. And there are those on the opposite end and struggle with self control. I really think that what Paul is getting at is singleness is a gift just as being married is a gift either status has it's benefits and ways to serve God. There are ways a single person can serve God that a married person can't and likewise. But what Paul is saying here is that if a person has a desire to be married and be fruitful and multiply :P then it is better that that person marry, but not marry just to marry so you have an outlet for uncontrolled passion. That would be marrying for the wrong reasons. What Paul is saying is that if you so desire that course then it is good to pursue that course as in seek a wife/husband but also be content and self controlled until God choses to fulfill that desire. There's no guarantee those who have the desire will marry, just that it is wise for them to do so. Self control is a fruit of the spirit and if we desire marriage etc. then we should pursue it but practice self control till we get married.

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Oct, 2011 01:22 AM

I'm 36 and had "relationships" when I was younger. However, I decided 6 years ago not to have sex before marriage. Now I'm just getting back into the dating loop (like 2 days ago, lol.) However, I have to believe that if it's the Lords will for me to be with someone, He will put the person right infront of me and he would want to wait too. But I love God more than I love men or sex.So inturn, I think it all depends on ones relationship with our Lord if he/she is willing to put God first or themselves. Plus i would rather have a blessed and God loving marriage than a few lustful nights and a broken heart down the road. But that's just me.