Author Thread: As a christian what kind of music should we stay away from?
Admin

As a christian what kind of music should we stay away from?
Posted : 9 Feb, 2009 10:07 PM

My mom and grandparents have always told me secular music period was bad but I myself don't think all of it is. I love the sound of most metal music but I don't totally agree with the lyrics of some of it or the way the musicians present themselves. I love rock music though and honestly not all christian rock music has the same beat or sound as say some of the secular music.

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Feb, 2009 10:10 PM

Cause I keep finding myself listening to stuff like Metallica. I just really love their music. I love the lyrics too though and it just has good sound.

pga1778

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Feb, 2009 04:09 PM

If you like heavy metal you would like RED Skillet Seventh Day Slumber that is all I can think of right now but there are a lot of christian heavy metal bands.

angel_in_mn

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Feb, 2009 06:16 PM

It's not the kind of music, but the content of the music.

TonySlick

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Feb, 2009 07:06 PM

Everyone should listen to more Reggae!!! Straight up, theirs tons of great Dub out there.

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Feb, 2009 05:55 PM

I think Philippians 4:8 is the best guideline of what to listen to and what not to listen to. It's not just immoral music that should be avoided, but if it's depressing (e.g. songs about heartbreak), I don't care to feed my mind that type of music. Even worse than metal, I can understand the words and don't like what I hear.

spri1458

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Feb, 2009 06:01 PM

I see what you mean and agree with it to an extent, but I think depressing music can be okay to listen to depending on the situation. For example, if you're depressed for whatever reason, listening to certain depressing music can actually make you feel better. Music can be like medicine. Taken in the right amounts, under the right circumstances, it can be good for you. People are all wired differently too. Certain types of music may affect one person in one way and another person in a different way.

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Mar, 2009 04:14 PM

I dont listen to as much metal now as I used to, but there are some pretty rad Christian bands, some way more missional that a lot of contemporary bands. As far as the depressing side of things go, yeah, you can get caught up in it, but, it can also be a release. Ever read lamentations? but if there is something you know you probably should listen to, just dont, you'll get over it :P I've heard a bunch of secular stuff I like, then found something that I knew wasn't right, and left it.

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Mar, 2009 07:08 PM

I agree, the lyrics are what sticks in your head. If it isn't glorifying God, well there ya go. Having said that, I am guilty of holding on to my classic rock, I grew up with the greatest band ever, the Beatles. You can see the progression of their content as the years went on. I still listen to them, along with Heart, Frampton, the Who, Zep, and others. Now guys like Marylin Manson, well, he needs prayer. Anyways, Keep rockin'....

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Apr, 2009 04:33 PM

As a musician and songwriter, and music lover... I guess I have a slight issue with the idea of 'staying away' from music.

I see music as a means of expression, what your heart feels, what your soul struggles with, what your being finds joy in, etc. Many connect with the various types because they can relate. Not everyone can always relate to hymns, or even celebration songs (christian celebration songs) because we cannot always proclaim that we need to celebrate the fact that we got dumped, cheated on, and our dog named blue died. :laugh:

Gary Allan "Life Ain't Always Beautiful" is so good to me. Because it illistrates exactly what happens in life. We struggle, we become stronger, etc. Though that is secular, do you realize how much connection to the Christian lifestyle there is??

Reggae, for example- Bob Marley was Rastafarian. An African religion brought to Jamaica. They mix beliefs of African myths, and Christian beliefs. They smoke lots of reefer, they are huge advocates of social justice, and are all about love. That is not Christian music. He wrote so many songs about his faith in his religion, but at the same time, I do not think I have heard one Bob Marley song that contradicts Christianity. Yeah, belief is different, but in the words, they all seem to relate to christian issues as well.

Rock, rap, etc. that is def. a tender area for some. Some of the music that these people put out there, and make famous is not very clean, good, or a good way to follow and live your life. But at the same time, this stuff is real. It is happening all over the world, whether we want it to or not. We cannot hide from it, for it is the state of what is going on. And, we do not have to follow it, but we can't just ignore it. I will listen to everything. I appreciate it for what it is, I see it as a creation these people did, and felt. Even though it wasn't glorifying God in any way, sometimes opposite, I believe God gave them the ability to create and make music. Unfortunatly it is abused and taken the oposite way of what many would like.

The Islamic religion does not listen to ANY music with lyrics. Why? They save that for chants/prayer to Allah. They keep the content and music holy for Allah, and him alone. Instrumental ragas or anything is not 'music' to them. It is entertaiment, no lyrics, but not music.

Very noble of them I think. However I do not believe it is essential in believing in God, and following His ways. Granted some songs are awful, and I can't imagine how somebody could put something out like that. But I accept it. I will give it a listen. We cant close our minds, Jesus never closed His mind. He hung out with the "hustlers" "hoes" and "rednecks" of His time years and years ago. He changed hearts, by giving them a chance... by letting them express themselves, He listened, and by that he build relations, through that time, He saved them, and changed their hearts. I think we all forget that the secular world of music or anything may be something seen as a bad thing for some, but even so, by connecting to some extent to their lives, gives them the feeling of being loved, and not judged by people who normally dont want to associate with that. It gives the world a whole new view of Christianity.

Welll thats my 2 cents lol peace :peace:

View Profile
History
Posted : 15 Apr, 2009 01:50 AM

you know whats funny?

most Christian labels are owned by secular companies, although some christian labels are indie labels

Page : 1 2