Author Thread: As a christian what kind of music should we stay away from?
Admin

As a christian what kind of music should we stay away from?
Posted : 9 Feb, 2009 10:07 PM

My mom and grandparents have always told me secular music period was bad but I myself don't think all of it is. I love the sound of most metal music but I don't totally agree with the lyrics of some of it or the way the musicians present themselves. I love rock music though and honestly not all christian rock music has the same beat or sound as say some of the secular music.

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Apr, 2009 03:28 PM

I for a while had a problem with this issue. I find alot of christians real judgemental about this issue. Not bashing christians, I am one, just saying. After alot of prayer and bible reading I made up my mind on this.

I was a big fan of the band Iron Maiden. I liked that alot of the topics they covered were historical or pulled from classical literature. They also have thier share of filth. I first decided that I would follow no one but Jesus. So I do not collect posters or fall into the trappings of the normal rock fan. i don't like even using the word fan. It is short for fanatical and the only thing anyone should be fanatical about is Jesus Christ.

However, I combed through the lyrics of thier music and threw out all that did not contain truth. All that were not pure, of good report and so forth.

I listen mainly to christian music. However the secular world does offer some thoughtful gems.

We are to live in this world. We just should not be apart of it. You do need to be careful about what you put in your mind. And if the music takes away from your relationship with Jesus. It can be a problem. Knowing the bible is a good way to decipher what is good or bad.

sportsguyclb89

View Profile
History
Posted : 30 Jul, 2009 09:25 PM

this is one of my favorite subjects to discuss cuz I probably have been at every end of what be considered good, bad, or okay. Growing up (im not from a Christian family) i listened to what my parents listened too....what i referred to as 'the good stuff' (classic 70's, 80's, and early 90's rock) lol. To list a few bands my favorites were AC/DC, Def Leppard, Aerosmith, Foreigner, Boston, Journey....u get my drift. As I got older I wanted to learn this good music i loved so much so i picked up the guitar at the tender age of 13 and started to play (keep in mind i didnt give my life to Christ for real until i was 16....i believed in God as a kid, but not enough to live for Him). For the next few years, I saw music as an escape from my slightly troubled life. I had a lot of insecurities about myself and so whenever I would get home from school, I would drop my books, pop in a cd like 'Back in Black', crank that amp up and play for hours......this may have masked the pain, but the worst has yet to come for me, i didnt know it then.

By the time I gave my life to Christ, one of the first things I knew needed to go was my music. I just knew I had to do it.....to me, as a young believer, it just didnt make sense to have things that didnt directly glorify God so i threw all my cd's away and started listening to CCM (Chris Tomlin, Casting Crowns, etc). I started to get into worship teams at this time as well which was the point where God started to really use my passion for music into something positive (those who seen me play are astounded at my passion when I play.....lol i get REALLY into it....not to brag of course). During these years I was under the impression that Christian music was the only thing to listen too.....but only certain types. No metal, no craziness like that. However, I went to a church that had people from all walks of life (im from Chicago) and ALOT of my friends were aspiring christian rap artists, or christian metal artists.....this really challenged my views.

After graduating high school then moving out to Fla (which is where I have been the last 2 years) I've taken on a different mindset. I've found some good christian rock bands (someone mentioned here Skillet and Seventh Day Slumber....i also think Hillsong United has got some poppy rock style to it thats neat) that I listen to all the time and I again appreciate the music i loved in the past but Im not goin out and buying the cds again.

You see, I think what we gotta understand is that we have to understand that God isnt keeping us from doing certain things or in this case from listening to certain things. He wants us to understand that by using His word and discernment in spirit, we must make the decision that are most beneficial to our relationships with Him. Ive always been told if u can stand before God and say "Lord i am ok with doing this.....i have wisdom in that I know what is right and what Im able to handle without falling into sin" then ur ok i guess. We gotta gauge whats we believe God thinks is right for us.....and some of us may have different views, whether its music, dating, drinking alcohol, or w/e.......the condition of ur heart is most important so basically make the right decision that u believe God sees fit for your relationship with Him.

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Sep, 2010 08:06 PM

I haven't read all the replies but i know if you like heavier rock Pillar and Project 86 are pretty good too...personally I'm more of a tobymac, brandon heath, or super chick person.

Firehawk

View Profile
History
Posted : 30 Nov, 2010 04:17 PM

The biggest concern I have with the distinction of Christian and Secular music, books, etc. is that it creates a subculture and promotes an environment of separation. If you are separate, how do you reach out to a lost world? Furthermore, Christians buy things with the Christian labels without discernment. Just excepting things at face value. But in reality, lots of stuff with the Christian labels aren't actually based on Scripture and promote false doctrines.

For me, I listen to a variety of music, secular and Christian, which includes Hard Rock and Metal. There are many songs that My spirit won't let me listen too because the lyrics are that bad.

As far as recommendations for hard rock/metal artist, I really like Disciple, Thousand Foot Krutch, Kutless, and 12 Stones.

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Jun, 2013 05:06 AM

Bob Marley accepted Christianity before he died.

In honor of the 30th anniversary of the passing of Bob Marley, who finished his life as a member of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church (his baptism was just six months before his death), we�re reposting this piece we posted last year featuring the program from his funeral in Jamaica. Memory eternal!

http://orthodoxhistory.org/tag/bob-marley/

Page : 1 2