Author Thread: Lost meaning of missions/missionary
Admin

Lost meaning of missions/missionary
Posted : 24 Apr, 2012 09:58 AM

Being in a country where every year thousands of missionaries visits us, I sometimes feel the modern world have lost the meaning of missions/missimaries. I have been medidating a lot on 'Rediscovering Missions', and it would be really nice to know others' opinions. God bless.

View Profile
History
Posted : 2 Jun, 2012 10:17 PM

Very true teach-ib. I was wondering what would be some of the best effective ways to reach out. Feel free to write everyone:)

Michael82Immanuel

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Jun, 2012 07:34 PM

I believe the problem with man is the heart of man. People need to hear the word of God that do not have access to it or have not heard it. So the need is Spiritual.

How do we do this? By renting a space? By going to a village and having an interpreter?

There is also physical needs, so those need to met too and provided by those you have those means or gifts.

But the thing is will they pay attention because we feed them? Will they pay attention cause we meet their physical needs?

Will they hear and believe in the word of God which ensures their salvation?

I here of people as well describe it as a trip, but it is so much more than that, I can only imagine. I want to know more and be a part of a Mission in the future, may the Holy Spirit guide us on where to go, what to do, and how to do it when we get there.

Please pm me if you still have sincere contacts in the mission field.

John 6

6 Some time after this, Jesus crossed to the far shore of the Sea of Galilee (that is, the Sea of Tiberias), 2 and a great crowd of people followed him because they saw the signs he had performed by healing the sick. 3 Then Jesus went up on a mountainside and sat down with his disciples. 4 The Jewish Passover Festival was near.

5 When Jesus looked up and saw a great crowd coming toward him, he said to Philip, �Where shall we buy bread for these people to eat?� 6 He asked this only to test him, for he already had in mind what he was going to do.

7 Philip answered him, �It would take more than half a year�s wages[a] to buy enough bread for each one to have a bite!�

8 Another of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter�s brother, spoke up, 9 �Here is a boy with five small barley loaves and two small fish, but how far will they go among so many?�

10 Jesus said, �Have the people sit down.� There was plenty of grass in that place, and they sat down (about five thousand men were there). 11 Jesus then took the loaves, gave thanks, and distributed to those who were seated as much as they wanted. He did the same with the fish.

12 When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, �Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.� 13 So they gathered them and filled twelve baskets with the pieces of the five barley loaves left over by those who had eaten.

14 After the people saw the sign Jesus performed, they began to say, �Surely this is the Prophet who is to come into the world.� 15 Jesus, knowing that they intended to come and make him king by force, withdrew again to a mountain by himself.

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Jun, 2012 04:23 AM

Michael, very thoughtful post. Thanks. I dont think we should necessarily clothe of feed the people-spoonfeeding is no more a helpful trend,rather it attracts opposition and gives opportunity for the enemy to attack. But yes,as children of life we need to live with them and live christ,for them to see. Also,if the community really need help it should better be training their hands or skills for them to have an occupation to provide for themselves. Medicine is a good way to reach out too. God bls.

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Jun, 2012 04:56 AM

*children of light...not life-------------------------------- Mission is the heart of God. We need to feel,see and touch the world with the Father heart of God...... I am specifically knowledged only about Mission in India and its neighboring countries. However, there are many other parts of the world yet to be reached. So brothers and sisters .. Please take the time to share your experiences and also share about places,countries where the harvest is ready and the laborers are few. ..... Who knows it might be of help or ignite a candle in the hearts of some of the thousands on here! Be blessed all. I consider this forum my labor child and therefore whatever I post is with much prayer and I hope you'd do the same when you post here----------------> Hereby, I quote Romans 8:22...For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.....waiting for the adoption ,to wit, the redemption of our body... Remaining in Prayer,Aisha.

Michael82Immanuel

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Jun, 2012 06:53 AM

Your post saying that there is still a lot of people in different areas to be reached reminds me of Joshua. It looked like a lot was accomplished, but so much more needed to be done.

Joshua 13:1 When Joshua was old and well advanced in years, the LORD said to him, "You are very old, and there are still very large areas of land to be taken over.

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Jun, 2012 07:32 AM

Very true Michael... The Father heart of God. God needs young people and we are a lot here... May we all respond to the call...THE HARVEST IS READY BUT THE LABOURERS ARE FEW.

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Aug, 2012 11:16 AM

I feel a missionary is everyone in relationship with Christ or a person with a commitment to follow him.

let me explain, we are not of this world but we are in it. Everyday we see people and interact with them on a daily bases. Now, when someone thinks missionary today. They normally think of somebody who left their home to go to some far away country to preach the Gospel. Let to me a missionary is you or me.because everyday our action and words preach what we believe in to those around us. I've always want to go and live in Israel but I havenotice that until God makes a way -- he wants to use me where he has already put me. At my home, with my family, friends, and online. The only thing that God requires to change someone's life is a voice that speaks truth. That allows him and his word to become their voice.

God bless

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Aug, 2012 02:03 AM

Bgs... A missionary is definitely not someone who lives in his own place/hometown. Thats an evangelist. A missionary is someone who leaves his,her own people to an unknown land. I shall be praying for your dreams to live in Israel.God bless and keep you.

Dannyroc

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Mar, 2014 10:13 AM

IN my humble opinion (and I really mean that) what we have in most cases is "spiritual tourism" where churches put a collection of teens or members together to go to a place with two main purposes.

A. These traveling for short term missions get a new spiritual experience.

B. those hosting them get resources to build.

Common sense would tell you that these places would be ahead of the game if the airfare (and other expense) money was just sent..... they could hire local labor at a fraction of the cost.

I intended to travel independently to one such area in the past and hoped to spend part of my stay helping these ministries out, after trying to contact them, not one even returned my contact request.

This lead me to believe they want you to be involved if you are paying through their program. They are not interested in you arriving by other means to help out for a week or two.

It would seem it is a spiritual-travel agency of sorts.... which I guess is ok as without this business a lot of churches would not be financed and a lot of teens would be limited in there world experience.

Page : 1 2