Author Thread: Going dutch?
Admin

Going dutch?
Posted : 25 Mar, 2009 10:13 AM

Hey! Ladies,

What do you think of a guy who want's to go dutch on a first meeting/date? Would you still go? Would you think differently of him for asking?

Blessings, Lydia

chozen2b

View Profile
History
Going dutch?
Posted : 25 Mar, 2009 12:24 PM

In all honesty, he would not be making a good first impression to me. If a guy asks me out on a date, I expect for him to choose an activity that he could afford. It could be something as simple as going to a park for picnic or free museum but asking me to share the cost initially would probably make think twice about going on a date with him.

View Profile
History
Going dutch?
Posted : 25 Mar, 2009 01:43 PM

chozen,

I agree! A man should choose something that he can afford. And if he invites you to dinner, he should not tell you that what you are ordering is too expensive. You are right, there are always less expensive options that are fun. A picnic or barbecue would do just as well. Just do not invite if you can not afford to.

Blessings, Lydia

View Profile
History
Going dutch?
Posted : 25 Mar, 2009 02:36 PM

Hi, Lydia!

Great question. I agree with you and chozen2b. I'm going to go "old school" on this because I am praying for a mate who still believes that chivalry is alive and kicking. You know, the kind of man who opens doors, carries my heavy packages, throws his sport coat over me when I'm cold, etc. Proper etiquette states that the person doing the asking is expected to pay. Besides, dinner is such a small price to pay for the pleasure of our company. ( l o l ! )

God Bless You Always!

Your Sis-in-Jesus,

J.

View Profile
History
Going dutch?
Posted : 25 Mar, 2009 03:02 PM

Singer1,

You go girl, you crack me up!

Blessings, Lydia

View Profile
History
Going dutch?
Posted : 25 Mar, 2009 04:04 PM

I would not agree to go dutch if a man requested to date me. Like the other poster, I would look at it negatively. I can take MYSELF out with MY OWN paycheck if I wanted to pay for dinner....lol I also am 'old school' and believe that the man should have the old-time respect and care for women (opening doors, walking on the sidewalk near the traffic, etc).

Michelle

View Profile
History
Going dutch?
Posted : 25 Mar, 2009 04:20 PM

Ladies,

I am in agreement with you both, that old school is where it's at!

Bring on the good manners and pay that check for dinner. :eat:

Blessings, Lydia

View Profile
History
Going dutch?
Posted : 25 Mar, 2009 04:26 PM

LOL!! Amen to that!

Hey, Michelle! Alright now. Testify! Glory to God for His provision in your life. Yea, girl, Lydia doesn't know what she started here. This fire can only get bigger. Hah-larious. I was reminded of the parable in Matthew 13:45-46, the merchant who was seeking beautiful pearls that when he found one pearl of great price, he went and sold all he had and bought it. That is the way our Heavenly Daddy sees His daughters...precious jewels. A man after God's own heart will recognize that we are precious, and cherish the value we bring to their lives. I can't wait to read the rest of the posts to come.

Peace & Blessings,

Jocelyn.

P.S.

Lydia Rocks!!

View Profile
History
Going dutch?
Posted : 25 Mar, 2009 04:42 PM

Amen Singer1, that is so true. Thanks for the scripture reminder. Yes Lydia--you opened 'a can'...lol

Elisa

View Profile
History
Going dutch?
Posted : 25 Mar, 2009 04:57 PM

Hi Lydia,

Like the other ladies, I would not view this in a positive light.

If he cannot afford to pay for dinner, my first question would be then why is he asking me out? Also, why is he choosing a restaurant he can't afford? Is he trying to live above his means and is this something he would want to continue later? How can he be a good provider if he can't handle a dinner?

As mentioned, dates can be a picnic. A walk on the beach or a visit to the museum on Sunday when it is free is also great. There are so many great parks in this country and on the weekends little league games abound. One of my favorite dates used to be playing put put golf.

When going out with a friend, dutch is wonderful. For a date, dutch might sneak up once....but it would never have a chance to repeat itself.

To address the ordering issue.....while I agree the gentleman should not order for the lady unless she asks him too, neither should the lady view the date as the opportunity to try the most expensive items on the menu either. Because he is paying, she should show him the courtesy of going gentle on his wallet.

Sorry, my two cents became a nickel.:rolleyes: Simply put, good old fashioned courtesy on both sides...

Blessings,

Elisa

View Profile
History
Going dutch?
Posted : 25 Mar, 2009 05:26 PM

Jocelyn, Michelle, and Elisa,

Great posts! I am sorry that I have to leave for work at 7:30. I would love to stay home and read the rest of posts that will come in. A can of worms! Could be fun. LOL

Blessings, Lydia

Page : 1 2