Author Thread
Elisa

View Profile
Getting married/Believing what amounts to be a lie.
Posted : 8 May, 2011 09:42 PM

Today's sermon centered around how some people are meant to live in the world and thus be married. Those folks need to focus on their spouse in this world. Other people are meant to focus solely on God and thus must remain single. That really hit me hard....I am protestant and had not really thought about that. So....I wish you all well. God Bless and Goodbye.

Elisa

View Profile
UH-OH, THE OL' RACE CARD
Posted : 16 Apr, 2011 11:36 PM

When living in the Caribbean, I was friends with folks of lots of races. My closest friend was black. She is an amazing woman. Anyway, the men of our churches forbade us from any further interaction. My first thought was...great, even down here racism rears its' ugly head. However, come to find out, nobody cared about our races. It was the fact that we are different religions. So...some men got ignored...just for reasons other than I originally thought.

As for dating, sure, why not. As for marriage.....a definitive maybe. I would be held up by culture. Race isn't an issue. Culture and religion are.

Elisa

View Profile
The M Word--And I aint talkin bout marriage
Posted : 16 Apr, 2011 11:22 PM

Ok, my two cents.....

First, some things are a bit difficult to discuss in mixed company. Although, I would assume (fully cognizant of what assume can mean) that a spouse would override the mixed problem. Not having been married, this is an assumption.

Second, if a person has a question running around in their head like a squirrel on an exercise circle, then would we rather they ask the question in a safe Christian environment or on the street?

Elisa

View Profile
Relocate?
Posted : 16 Apr, 2011 08:20 PM

Well, I moved out of the country several times for various reasons.....so why not for that?

But....would have to be sure he was the right guy and was the right time.

Elisa

View Profile
The ONE
Posted : 5 Apr, 2011 06:59 PM

DreamTime,

Great point. We allow our kids free will....however, that doesn't mean we don't do an awful lot of coaching, guiding, and sometimes even manipulating to help ensure they end up with the right people (in our eyes at least). Why would God do any less? I had not thought of it in this way. Would we allow our children to turn down the gift we have chosen form them....knowing it will make them happy? Maybe...but that does not mean the story is over by a long shot. People sure are silly to keep putting limits on God.

Thanks for the new analogy.

Elisa

Elisa

View Profile
Dudes and their scents?
Posted : 4 Apr, 2011 07:11 PM

Smells can make a huge difference.

Floral smells are not for guys...sorry, but the stereotype is there for me.

Musk is horrendous. I am so allergic to this, a guy wears it, I will avoid him like the plague.

Thinking back, my first boyfriend wore something that was absolutely scrumptious. Just to smell it made me smile and think of him. Even now, over 20 years later, somebody will walk by and the fragrance will waft over and I can't help but smile. I just wish I knew what that cologne was called.

Elisa

View Profile
Appropriate and Acceptable "Good night" for those over 40??
Posted : 4 Apr, 2011 06:02 PM

A handshake....no thanks.

A smooch....no thanks. way too soon.

A peck on the cheek....maybe

A hand squeeze....maybe....like the kind you get at the end of the prayer.

A hug....sure.

A wave and a smile....sure.

Just a thought.....watch her and see where she is headed then go that way.

Best of wishes on your goodbyes.

Elisa

View Profile
Puppy Type
Posted : 4 Apr, 2011 05:56 PM

For my two cents:

A basset hound

An Australian shepherd

The basset, with those soulful and adoring eyes, running and tripping over her ears says...hey, I may not be perfect to anybody else, but I am so comfortable in my wrinkly skin. I don't care if you laugh at me or love on me as long as I get your attention and make you smile. I love EVERYBODY.

The Australian shepherd on the other hand says the exact opposite. If you take me home and I choose to stay with you, nobody will ever bother you again. I will keep you safe always. We may not run and play like that goofy basset, but I am quiet confidence and will provide you with unending care and love.....and I will be for you only.

Not going to comment on what a yip yip dog says about a guy (imho). Well, at least, not other than...here Mr. Coyote....would you like a doggy snack?

As for names, have fun. :)

Elisa

View Profile
Any older virgins here?
Posted : 30 Mar, 2011 10:49 PM

Smiling and at being treated like a child.

I still have to eat at the children's table at some events because I have not chosen to marry or become a parent. Until either a part of a couple or a parent....as mentioned by another, children we remain. This used to really bother me....then I overheard what all they talked about at the "big people's table". We have loads more fun at the kids' table.

On the other hand....those of us without exes don't have that pain. I don't regret that in the slightest.

Finally, regarding sin.....is it easy to avoid? Nope, of course not. If it were easy.....we would all be saints. Not sure how our world got so topsy turvy to the point where it is now. Folks sleepin around, messin around, livin together, etc......that is the accepted standard. Yet, this goes against the commandments we were given. Those commandments were put in place to protect us though. So, the world on one side, God on the other....not much of a decision to make is it? :)

Elisa

View Profile
Doctor, Lawyer, Indian Chief?
Posted : 29 Mar, 2011 04:48 PM

Well now, I will be a doctor by the end of this year. Figuring on being a lawyer in 5 years....so guess he should be an Indian Chief to round us out.

Really though....I should say white collar....the problem with this is I grew up blue collar and have this notion that guys are supposed to be handy and fix stuff. I fell off the roof last week while fixing the eaves and am still muttering....that is a guy's job ... When I had to pull a window to rebuild it, was muttering something pretty much along the same track. On the other hand, I really will have my doctorate soon and would appreciate somebody who can clean up nice and be comfortable at the places I end up. So...there you have it....he needs to be comfortable at a black tie event with phds and comfortable digging up the plumbing when the toilet plugs up. Add to that he should be gainfully employed, a fabulous Christian guy I respect and can follow....so, his profession isn't really that big of a deal to me. If he can survive my family and me, not going to get hung up on that one little detail.

Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10