Author Thread: How important is attraction in pursuing a christian relationship?
lgsterz

View Profile
History
How important is attraction in pursuing a christian relationship?
Posted : 27 Jun, 2013 03:05 AM

Please excuse my openness. As some of you know finding a christian relationship or searching for a spouse can be tricky to say the least. That's why most of us are on this site right? Well some of the topics I'm about to address regards physical attraction and is quite open. Some of you may not have the same opinions as me or feelings.. But please don't judge me for being honest. My question is how important is physical attraction in a God centered relationship?

A little background on me: I am a young woman saving myself for marriage. I am doing so to honor God and my future husband. Resisting temptation has not always been easy. But I have kept myself pure to honor the promise I made to God and for many other reasons. Although I have kept myself pure physically, I'm sure everyone (if they are willing to admit it) has lusted against someone in at least their minds. We all sin.

My thing is.. Since I plan on only marrying once, and I'm keeping myself pure until marriage.. When in a christian relationship is it or is it even appropriate to discuss sexual desires in the context of if the couple were to get married? Because I'm going to be honest since I only plan on having one partner, I don't want there to be a huge hindrance when it comes to desires. Sex is an important aspect of a marriage.

1 Corinthians 7:4-5

"For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. 5 Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control."

If there are major differences in desires between a couple then there can be problems in the marriage. Wives are not to deprive their husbands. Husbands are not to deprive their wives. It works both ways. I've not really heard of when it is appropriate.. But I definitely don't think the couple should just leave one another in the dark until after the marriage. Married couples should not deprive one another. So being in sink with one another I think is important.

Also how important is physical attraction? I mean it fuels whether or not the couple will desire one another sometimes right? I'm not saying that looks are the most important thing. Because I've become attracted to certain guys after I got to know them. But how important should it be?

Thoughts?

1mountain

View Profile
History
How important is attraction in pursuing a christian relationship?
Posted : 30 Jun, 2014 11:19 PM

Physical attraction is a very important part of any romantic relationship. The thing that most of you seem to be forgetting is what's inside shows on the outside. Your eyes and face shows all the secrets you keep inside, speak of who you are as a person. The eyes truly are the windows of the soul.

There are of course the basics of body type and build, and what you two would look like as a couple. Sure there are guys and a lot of gals who would marry for the money or citizenship but at the end of the day you're going to have to sleep next to that face and body for the rest of your life. If you're not physically attracted to that person you married, does that increase the chance you'll cheat on them? Will it put a damper on your sex life, and put the marriage at risk? Yes being superficial and wanting someone that looks like Barbie isn't a very Christian thing, but attractiveness is different for everyone, as evidenced by the wide range of looks models have.

I would suggest it's very important to discuss sex drive before you get serious in certain circumstances. For instance if you have a very low sex drive or think sex is only for procreation you should bring it up early. Same is true if you have a very high sex drive and think about it all the time. As psychologists will tell you it's a very important part of bonding mentally, and since marriage is a bond that should stand a lifetime I'd think it should be at least casually discussed before you commit to someone.

Page : 1 2 3