Author Thread: Tatoos and Bubblegum
HarvestBible

View Profile
History
Tatoos and Bubblegum
Posted : 23 Apr, 2009 02:35 AM

Hi everyone!! Just wanted opinions from you all.

First, do you think it is appropiate for Christians to get tatoos?

Second, is it ok to chew bubblegum in Church (no popping allowed!!!!)?

:)

God Bless!

Linnie41

View Profile
History
Tatoos and Bubblegum
Posted : 23 Apr, 2009 07:28 AM

I don't think you can put "Christians" together for a question about tattoos. I think it's an individual decision and depends on the motivation of the person wanting a tattoo. Are you seeking to glorify God or bring attention to yourself? Will this bother your loved ones or future/current spouse? Will the tattoo cause another brother to stumble? Will you still want/like this tattoo years from now?

I know that someone will bring up Leviticus 19:28, "Do not cut your bodies for the dead, and do not mark your skin with tattoos. I am the Lord." However, if we read this in context, it is speaking about the pagan rituals of the people living around the Isrealites. God wanted his people set apart and didn't want them to engage in heathen rituals that might lead them away from Him. If this passage were taken literally, men would also never be able to trim their beards or cut the hair on their temples. At the time, these things were all associated with paganism. Today, they aren't.

Personally, I wouldn't get a tattoo for a number of reasons. I don't like needles, I would be afraid of getting an infection, and there is nothing I like enough to have placed on my body for the rest of my life. Tattoos are forever.

Now - chewing gum in church? Sure - why not? As long as you're not blowing bubbles or chewing it with your mouth open, I don't see a problem. Plus, the person you're standing in front of speaking to after church might actually appreciate it. Lol

Blessings,

Lynn

HarvestBible

View Profile
History
Tatoos and Bubblegum
Posted : 23 Apr, 2009 11:06 AM

I always saw tatoos as something that was sinful because your destroying your body. God gave you everything you needed when you were born. I dont NEED piercings and tatoos. Plus, most people I talk to make a hobby out of it. Like, lets see how much of my body I can cover up. But it seems to me that maybe they are trying to cover up some of their sins or something. I was just wondering bout the bubblegum because my church has a sign that says "No food and drinks allowed" LOL Do you consider it "food"?

Linnie41

View Profile
History
Tatoos and Bubblegum
Posted : 23 Apr, 2009 02:23 PM

Well, I think your church is probably afraid that there are going to be 5 year olds sticking their gum under the pews or thowing it on the floor, which makes sense. Lol. I go to a church where the children are in a service more designed for their age, so they aren't in the sanctuary for anything other than praise and worship. I bring a Coke and m-n-m's to every service, and that's pretty much the norm for everyone there. (Well, minus the m-n-m's. Lol)

I think your church is more concerned with keeping the sanctuary free from sticky messes - it has nothing to do with a fear of insulting God. I think if you have gum in church and keep it in your mouth with your mouth closed, you'll be alright. :)

As far as the tattoos, I understand what you're saying. I'm not defending tattoos, I don't and will never have any - but it's because of a personal choice. You said that God gave us everything we needed when we were born, which I agree with 100%, but look at most women who have their ears pierced. Is that damaging the body too, or just making themselves more attractive? Some people view tattoos in the same way.

View Profile
History
Tatoos and Bubblegum
Posted : 25 Apr, 2009 03:52 PM

I have alot of tattoos. (16) I think biblically there is nothing wrong with them since we are under the new covenent. The ones I have declare my faith and my patriotizm. I have used them as witnessing tools.

Since tattoos do not cause death I do not see it as desecrating the temple. Every temple I have been in is decorated. God had the isrealites decorate the items in the temple.

The practice of the tattoo is pagan in origin. However, if you are not idolitrous with what you put on you I see no problems. Motives matter more than anything. I just started to display in body art my deepest held beliefs.

John_O

View Profile
History
Tatoos and Bubblegum
Posted : 6 May, 2009 07:22 PM

I have had trouble with this as well. I have 41 tattoos including 4 on my neck. But the thing is they are alll animals every single one of them is an image of animals. I have not been tattooed since being saved ( this past Oct) though, but really want to.

View Profile
History
Tatoos and Bubblegum
Posted : 5 Jun, 2009 08:58 PM

Personally I don't have a problem with tattoos. I myself has 4 (all of which I got after being saved) and plan on getting more. I think that tattoos are fine as long as they aren't dishonoring God. I hate seeing people with the "face" of Jesus, because no one knows what he looks like, and many of those people don't live for Him anyways.

As for my tattoos I have: On my back that date I was Saved with 3 hearts and the 3 types of love. On my foot a cross made of nails with the verse Isaiah 53:5. On my side bubble represents first of my constant movement in Christ and second off my passion for children.