Author Thread: Tattoos
Admin

Tattoos
Posted : 22 Jan, 2014 09:19 AM

Is it right or wrong to get tattoos as a christian?

Does the Bible say anything against this?

I know many people have different opinion on this.

Hoping to hear some responses.

ME:)

View Profile
History
Tattoos
Posted : 22 Jan, 2014 01:57 PM

In the Old Testament, it specifically states that tattoos are prohibited. Leviticus 19:28 says " ��Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord." It is speaking about setting the Jewish people apart from the pagans. Jewish law prohibits tattoos even today but if one already has a tattoo then you won't have to cover it up.

To put a modern day test to such a question, look to Romans 14. Example...Romans 14:23 says " But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin." So, ask yourself if by tattooing yourself, "does it come from faith?" same thing as eating meat, i.e. pork.

You have heard that our bodies are like God's temple. We should not destroy our bodies. Tattooing comes with risks such as the Hepatitus C virus. 1 Corinthians 3:17 says " If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy. For the temple of God is holy, and ye are that temple."

But many times, people tattoo themselves and regret it later on. We should envision what this tattoo will represent 10 or 20 years from now. Does this glorify God? Or is this just to show me off? Will this tattoo cause others to stumble in their walk with God? These are things to ponder.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Tattoos
Posted : 30 Jan, 2014 05:43 AM

I believe that the verses in Leviticus are dealing directly with pagan practices. Otherwise we would not be allowed to "round the corners of our heads" or "mar our beards". Also, the word for "marks" there is not simply limited to tattoos, so following the letter of the law here encompasses more than just what we call "tattoos" and would make the law really obscure if it was every mark or printing or tattoo or incision. When you add "for the dead" into the equation, it makes much more sense, God was condemning those things in the context of pagan practices, and He consistently condemned pagan practices throughout the entire bible.

"kah�ak�ah'"

"incision, imprintment, tattoo, mark"

Leviticus 19

26 Ye shall not eat any thing with the blood: neither shall ye use enchantment, nor observe times. 27 Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard. 28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord.

If that argument doesn't work, the ceremonial law is done away with. If it wasn't, Paul wouldn't say certain things about the law, to the point that he removed circumcision, the one thing in the OT that marked you as God's property, one of the most commanded practices in the whole bible. The Jews were really upset about that one.

Titus 1:15

15 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.

1 Corinthians 10:25�32

25 Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, that eat, asking no question for conscience sake: 26 For the earth is the Lord�s, and the fulness thereof. 27 If any of them that believe not bid you to a feast, and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake. 28 But if any man say unto you, This is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that shewed it, and for conscience sake: for the earth is the Lord�s, and the fulness thereof: 29 Conscience, I say, not thine own, but of the other: for why is my liberty judged of another man�s conscience? 30 For if I by grace be a partaker, why am I evil spoken of for that for which I give thanks? 31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the * Gentiles, nor to the church of God:

But also notice the way Paul finishes out the thoughts, and also what John has to say:

1 John 2:16

For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

The way I see it, "everything is pure" with the right motives and character and attitude guiding the decision. Belief is more important than the simple act of marking our skin. However, if it is something that will cause someone else to stumble, or if the thing is done in vanity or pride, then it becomes sin. So, my opinion is, a tattoo is not evil. The reasons you get a tattoo can be evil. There are not many good reasons to get a tattoo, and they are also pretty expensive, so if you're getting a tattoo simply to look "cool" or "pretty", then you would be much, much better off giving that money to someone who is starving. I would never get a tattoo, because I know my own motives and the only reason I would only get one would be out of vanity. Look into your own heart, be self-aware, and honestly ask yourself what your motives are.

I also have to say, to anyone who would look down on or condemn someone with a tattoo, don't devalue someone based on that minuscule "mistake" or one misinterpreted verse. That is more dangerous than getting a tattoo. If someone gets a tattoo of a bible verse or a butterfly or their babies foot, do you think God is judging them on their heart, or is He waiting to set them on fire for it? In the grand scheme, assuming everyone here has committed sin, getting/having a tattoo without pagan motives is at the very bottom of the pile(but don't get one!:laugh:)

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Tattoos
Posted : 6 Feb, 2014 05:57 PM

It's so odd where Christians will "draw a line". Tattoos may be taboo and Christians will call it pagan but they have no problem attending church on Sunday or eating pork, both of which are also against the "Law" and are pagan as well. But if I were to make a statement about pork, duck, shell fish, crawfish, catfish, whatever, I would be called legalistic. I have been too. Yet somehow, there is still all this concern about tattoos, piercings, what kind of music to listen to, whether or not to have a beard, long hair on men, ( I believe women should not have a beard and I prefer them with long hair) and so many more things.

Christianity is a big religious buffet. You can pick and choose your legalism and feel righteous because you have a verse to support your choice. But it is possible, as DHTM pointed out, that you can miss the mark because you are treating other people with judgement rather than love.

I just might out this weekend to get tattoos of a dragon on one shoulder and a phoenix on the other to commemorate my surviving a car accident that nearly killed me two years ago. I think they'll go nicely with my long hair and earring too. Next year in Jerusalem!!

View Profile
History
Tattoos
Posted : 10 Feb, 2014 11:03 AM

I obey the Old Testament laws so to me tattoos are a sin. If a person had tattoos before they are saved then I don't judge them for what they did in ignorance. I even know people with Jesus tattoos. They had good intentions, but they used the wrong method to honor Jesus.

outdoorswoman26

View Profile
History
Tattoos
Posted : 2 Mar, 2014 06:54 PM

I believe God wants us to honor him with our bodies and we want to keep our eyes on him. I do not focus much on the outward appearance as long as I am clean and presentable, that is all that matters to me. I don't like to spend money on things that I really don't need because it could be used in a more productive way. I would rather give 300.00 to the poor than mark up my body. But, God loves all people even if they have tattoos.

Matthew75

View Profile
History
Tattoos
Posted : 17 Mar, 2014 09:29 PM

Very well said DontHitThatMark. I think you you did a very good job pointing out the issue. The real question is why do you want to get a tattoo?

To be cool or to conform to the ways of the world, local culture, to make yourself more attractive, etc. is definitely a no-go. "Everybody is doing it" has always been the worst excuse ever...

Besides, at least where I live, 9 out of 10 people have tats... I think its more unique to not have one. Want to stand out, don't have a tattoo. ( and if I condemned people for getting/having tats, I wouldn't have any friends at all... )... and no, I don't have one.

Good reasons to get one? How about as a reminder of a positive life changing thing... a verse that has special meaning... Anything that will bring glory to God or direct the attention of those admiring your tat toward God... Something that will provide an opportunity to minister to others.

View Profile
History
Tattoos
Posted : 1 Apr, 2014 07:44 PM

Don't let anyone confuse you about tattoos. Jesus came to accomplish the law, not because it was wrong, but because it was God's will. It doesn't mean we must do the contrary if the law. Tattoos come from pagans practices, nobody can sanctify a pagan practice just disguising it in Christian practice. It's like someone who say we can be incest now because it was prohibited in the old testament. Be careful with inconsistent Christians.

Apostelle

View Profile
History
Tattoos
Posted : 2 Apr, 2014 06:42 AM

We are not allowed to mark our bodies. Christ changed many things and created a new Covenant. This is why we no longer do blood sacrifices or forced to circumcise our children. The prohibition on pork, shellfish, etc was because they were ceremonially unclean.

If youve ever eaten beef stroganoff, you have violated the Old Testament law about eating meat cooked in milk. It is fortunate we no longer live under the law, but under Grace.

View Profile
History
Tattoos
Posted : 5 Apr, 2014 09:00 AM

1Th 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

God didn't convict me to have my tats removed, but then tells others it's ok.

The lost world knows Christians should be dabbling in tattoos.

View Profile
History
Tattoos
Posted : 17 May, 2014 12:01 PM

When it comes to tattos,

Think of this analogy:

WOULD YOU VANDALIZE A CHURCH WITH GRAFFITI?

Most Christians would not vandalize a church with Graffiti

It is NOT THEIR PROPERTY, NOT THEIR RIGHT to "decorate" as might please them,

So ALSO, YOUR BODY IS NOT YOUR OWN to do whatever pleases you to do with it..

Tattoos are graffiti on the trmple of God.