Author Thread: What's the harm in dating a non-believer?
IchthysBeliever

View Profile
History
What's the harm in dating a non-believer?
Posted : 20 Oct, 2014 11:33 PM

Looking at the name of this forum, my question is quite simple, I can completely understand why I should choose to have a Christian partner as my wife however, what is the actual harm in dating a Non-Christian? I'm trying to list down advantages/disadvantages of dating a non believer:

Advantages:

1. You get to learn about the opposite sex. I mean apart from the faith aspect, both Christian and Non-Christian ladies would like their guys to be courteous and polite. So similarly, there are quite a few other factors which a guy could also learn by dating a non-believer.

2. You get to learn more and more about your own self. Now for example, you have your likes, dislikes and interests and you usually look at compatibility in those areas. However, when you date someone, you'll get to know about things that you wouldn't like, things that you think you can do with and finally things that you'd love in a relationship. Most importantly, there are certain aspects about you that would need trimming or changing and by dating someone, it could eventually make you a better individual overall.

3. Last but definitely not the least, you could be a testimony to the non-believing partner. Your partner and their family could look at your life, could hear your words and could be in your prayers all the time resulting in people coming to know God.

All in all, I have an opinion that you could always date a non-Christian and it could definitely help you in being a person of integrity. Now here's what I think are the disadvantages:

1. If you fall in love with a non-believer, it could seriously hamper your walk with God. Why? Because now, your priority could shift from God to this person. Which also reminds me, if dating a non-believer means that you should forfeit your time with God (it could be your personal prayer time, the time you spend for bible studies, the time you've allocated for church activites, etc.) then it is a matter of deep concern. So if you think that your time/walk with God is being interfered with, then you'd rather not date a non-believer.

2. Sometimes and I seriously mean Sometimes, it is possible that the sense of morality of a non-believer might not quite be like that of a believer. But then to be honest, I've personally seen quite a few non-believers not being so hell-bent in being sexually active as much as some believers. Now in this case, if lust takes over you, you could fall into a pit so deep that it would take a lot of effort to get out of it and then there's also the problem of guilt...

One last point but I feel it is applicable in both cases is, what if you get married but as time has passed, things are not the same anymore. There are arguments, constant quarreling, suspicion, infidelity and even worse, neither you nor your spouse could not really teach the importance of Christian values to your kids... But hey, this could happen with both, a believer or a non-believer.

To conclude this lengthy post, the best thing to do is always pray and seek guidance from Jesus. We are so blessed to have a comforter and a counselor so great and so loving. But at the same time, I don't think that God wants me to close my mind off from dating a non-believer at all.

What do you think? Should a Christian only and only date a believer? Do you think the negatives outweigh the positives when it comes to dating a non-believer?

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Oct, 2014 03:11 PM

You can date a non-believer, as long as they aren't hostile towards the Christian faith, but they'll never 'get' your walk with God and that will put strain on the relationship when they can't understand that they aren't the most important thing in the world to you. Also, even if they don't actively drag you into sin, they probably won't be able to encourage you to avoid it either because some things that are a no-no to Christians are commonly accepted in secular society (e.g. using Jesus as an exclamation or swear word) so it simply won't register to them. You'd be missing out too on a deeper connection with each other during the more intimate parts of the Christian faith such as prayer, worship and bible study with your partner.

In short, it's harder work, more risky for yourself and may keep you from some blessings.

Aservantsheart^

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Nov, 2014 08:14 PM

I have seen my brothers and sisters in Christ date unbelievers and have admitted the mental and spiritual strain it has caused in their lives. An unbeliever does not have a personal relationship with God (Has not accepted Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord) and their therefore, cannot understand fully the things of God, pray to God (God does not have to give special attention to the prayers of an unbeliever) is limited, and spiritual encouragement to the Christian will most likely be absent since the unbeliever does not possess the Holy Spirit and thus is very limited to what he or she can do for the believing spouse or significant other. Anyhow, the Bible provides us with many accounts of Israel's spiritual adultery with other pagan nations and as a result, Israel had gone into captivity and suffered God's judgment for being disobedient. 2 Corinthians 6:14 clearly tells genuine Christians to not yoked themselves with an unsaved or an unbeliever. Although this is a good question, I don't think this question deserves any rationalizations. What God says goes and if anyone goes against His commandments expect to experience a lot of pain and hurt. Bottom line: Do what God says and don't question His Word. Psalm 119:60 Like the Nike commercial says, "Just do it!"

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 Nov, 2014 10:47 PM

For me, dating has purposes.

1. consider a potential mate -- requires another believer

2. encourage the other in Christian walk -- this should be part of all our relationships with Christians whether they have romantic components or not

Dating as a "just fun" matter when there is no potential of marriage is not fair to the emotions of either party. That's at best. At worst it leads to sin.

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Dec, 2014 05:55 AM

I'm here to tell you that you may find by dating them that they believe more than you! Just as sure as I am that dating a "believer" doesn't insure they are a "true Christian".I say examine all oppertunity!There is lesson in every relationship.If you are a true believer you won't stay long in a relationship with someone whom isn't.What's more important is to spend lots of time getting to know someone before you make any real commitments!Time reviels a person's real identity.Though I admit I'de not be one to explore relations with say a Wicken or Muslim,some things are obvious.Why would you want to relate with hatred?

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Dec, 2014 09:46 AM

OK, plenty say they are believers but aren't ... and it can take a while to learn that. But if someone says he or she is not a follower of Christ ... that's pretty much a true statement!

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Apr, 2015 11:57 PM

1. A non believer does not go to church or study the bible or pray. You would be doing these things alone.

2. Since they don't believe in God they might go to hell.

3. Even though you would witness to them that doesn't mean they would

feel the need to be saved.

4. There would never be a spiritual bond between the two of you.

With God it's all in black and white. We all like to

Think he under stands everything. He does understand but his word does not change. In Revelation it says the unbelievers will have their part in

the lake of fire.

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Sep, 2015 07:30 AM

Dating or marrying a nonChristian is no different than a Christian dating or marrying the Devil.

SOS4EMAILFRIEND

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Sep, 2015 10:38 AM

I have never heard any more nonsense than associating the devil with non-believers!

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Sep, 2015 01:37 PM

Jesus loves you. I forgive you from the heart. I do not hold what you posted against you. Why would any believer in God's son Jesus,want to date or marry someone who does not believe? Why do you mock or make fun of my post? Please do not do that. Thank you.

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Feb, 2016 11:03 AM

@S0S4EMAILFRIEND ~ There are only two choices: either you serve God or you serve the devil.

Only Believers, ie Born Again Followers of Jesus Christ, serve God. Everybody else serves the devil!

Therefore, dating a nonchristian, a non believer, WOULD most DEFINITELY be like dating the devil.

Simple as that!

Page : 1 2