Author Thread: Dating after divorce. Lessons from past marriage.
Admin

Dating after divorce. Lessons from past marriage.
Posted : 5 Nov, 2017 01:12 PM

Anyone with some advice?

1jon310

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Nov, 2017 07:52 AM

Simple answer: Don't.

Don't date anyone. Go out with people and learn to have fun again. Learn to see people as people who are their own.

Too many of us start dating right away and fail to take the time to learn who we are now. People start looking for the opposite person of who we were married to and we forget that that person had some good qualities that attracted us to them in the first place. When we start dating we start putting expectations on the other person and ourselves that few of us can live up to. Then people start getting desperate, feeling rejected or depressed because they haven't found the "right" person that was "meant" for them. Or worse they can't find their "soul mate". (Soul mates are not Biblical concepts)

To reiterate: Don't date. Go out, have clean fun and take the time to heal and learn who you are now. When we learn who we are in this stage of life and accept who we have become with the good and bad (working on the bad) others will find us more attractive and the "looking" and "dating" parts of life will more easily fall into place. You may even find that you are so comfortable with who you are that you no longer have a desire to "date anymore. And that confidence is attractive.

Ocean17

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Nov, 2017 10:59 PM

Although I've never been married, I have dated. Your words and insight are so bang on for anyone. Don't rush anything. We live in a Noah's ark society, two by two and there's so much pressure to be in a couple everywhere. Find good friends, enjoy the little things and leave the big things God.

View Profile
History
Posted : 27 Jan, 2018 12:42 PM

I FIND THAT SOME OF US HAVE A DIFFERENT TAKE ON DATING! EACH PERSON HAS THEIR EXPECTATIONS! FIRST OF ALL, I HAVE BEEN DIVORCED FOR 7 YEARS! I AM A CHRISTIAN! AND WITH SAYING THAT I AM A CHRISTIAN, I LIVE THE LIFE! NOW FOR ME, I DON'T MIND GOING ON A LUNCH, DINNER OR MOVE DATE! SO THAT THERE IS NO MISUNDERSTANDING OR CONFUSION. I WILL MAKE IT CLEAR TO THE PERSON THAT I'M NOT LOOKING TO GET SERIOUS! THAT I WILL GO DUTCH ON EVERYTHING! AND THAT I WILL ADHERE TO MY WORD! I DO HAVE REPECTFUL STANDARDS! BASICALLY, WE ARE BEING COMPANY TO EACH OTHER ON OCCASIONS!

Chioniso

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 May, 2018 05:12 AM

1jon310, thanks. You have said it all. I second you. We should accept and be comfortable with who we are now.