Author Thread: The dating learning curve
Admin

The dating learning curve
Posted : 13 Feb, 2018 09:47 PM

I met a guy here and unfortunately I do not have a lot of dating experience, let alone dating / chatting online.

Anyway I'm cautious because I've read the horror stories here and I have a friend who was scammed big time. She almost lost her home and had to pay the man she helped get U.S. citizenship and a job $20,000 to go away for a divorce.

So the guy and I were having some decent conversations and he asked if my username was my real name. I told him it was much easier to remember and pronounce than my real name. I also told him that if we continued hitting it off I would tell him.

Suffice it to say he cut all communications off with me. I got the impression that he felt as though I were a scammer.

What do you think? Should I have told him my name? We only corresponded like 3 to 4 times. Was I being too cautious?

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Feb, 2018 12:03 AM

Don't think in terms of 3 or 4 times of correspondence, think of it as 3 or 4 weeks of correspondence. You only have an obligation to open yourself up completely once you actually decide to pursue a relationship, That said though the truely core qualities HAVE to come out early one way or another, one of those is NOT anything that can easily identify you though. The trick is to not wait too long to make up your mind one way or another, remember online dating goes at a different pace than regular. Maybe he ghosted you for something else entirely, maybe HE was the scammer, you have no way of knowing.

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Feb, 2018 04:41 AM

I think you do need to be cautious but not so cautious that you won't tell the person your talking to your first name. Don't divulge personal information at all. On another site one woman had posted how a man she had been talking to just showed up at her church one sunday. Having worked out exactly what church she went to, from information posted on her profile and things that she had told him in conversation that's scary.

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Feb, 2018 05:20 AM

Thanks Rambo. Yes I'm still trying to get the online dating timing right.

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Feb, 2018 05:23 AM

Jayeeee that is scary. And part of the reason I'm cautious is because people can Google you so easily and get tons of info. Thank you.