Author Thread: Changing Last Names
Admin

Changing Last Names
Posted : 17 Oct, 2019 07:13 AM

When marrying, why is only the woman expected to change her last name? Why doesn't the man do also?

View Profile
History
Changing Last Names
Posted : 17 Oct, 2019 08:04 AM

I won't change my name unless my husband changes his name, too.

I want to have the same last name as my husband someday. But, I do not think that the name change should be one-sided. Both parties should be equally invested in the relationship. Neither party should be holding back. I've been there. It's a recipe for disaster.

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Changing Last Names
Posted : 18 Oct, 2019 12:48 AM

You don't have to change your name if you don't want to. Some women keep their maiden name while the children have the family name. I wasn't married but my children have their dads surname, and I will happily change my surname when I marry... :-)

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Changing Last Names
Posted : 18 Oct, 2019 12:59 AM

What would be the point of the man changing his last name ? Then that would no longer be his family name which is what you take at marriage. Picking some random name to change to just because... doesn't make any sense to me...

View Profile
History
Changing Last Names
Posted : 18 Oct, 2019 04:07 PM

Why? Why does it need to be his name? Why can't they both share each other's name? What is so important about his name that it must be preserved, but not her's?

View Profile
History
Changing Last Names
Posted : 18 Oct, 2019 04:10 PM

Why? Why does it need to be his name? Why can't they both share each other's name? What is so important about his name that it must be preserved, but not her's?

Alligator

View Profile
History
Changing Last Names
Posted : 18 Oct, 2019 09:03 PM

I think its tradition. lots of ethnic groups only want sons, no daughters. so its traditional to keep the man's name...that just became part of marriage. You don't have to do it. personally I had my name hyphenated. That way i had both names.

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Changing Last Names
Posted : 19 Oct, 2019 12:50 AM

Changing your name has nothing to do with ethnic groups. When you marry you create your own family with the husband as the head. It's traditional for the wife to take the husband's name, and I'm all for it I'm from a traditional family, my parents were married till we lost my dad 2 years ago & we lost my mum this year. It's not compulsory that you change your name when you marry. But I feel that going into a marriage with a mindset of I'm not doing this & that doesn't bode well...

View Profile
History
Changing Last Names
Posted : 19 Oct, 2019 09:21 AM

I agree. That's why I want my husband to be equally as willing to change his name as me.

View Profile
History
Changing Last Names
Posted : 19 Oct, 2019 11:06 AM

It's not common in North America for a man to take the surname of his spouse, but it's an option. It's common in some other countries, like Japan. I personally wouldn't want my husband to take my last name, and I would be proud to take his, but to each his own. I don't think there's any morally right or wrong choice here.

View Profile
History
Changing Last Names
Posted : 19 Oct, 2019 11:19 AM

Why would you not want your husband to take your last name the same as you taking his?

Page : 1 2