Author Thread: Christian or Secular, is There a Difference?
LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Christian or Secular, is There a Difference?
Posted : 5 Oct, 2020 05:59 AM

To be “secular” usually means something that is not necessarily associated with what is referred to as “sacred” or in some cases referred to simply as “neutral”. For example, sand on the shore is not considered “sacred” in the same way a hymn book is considered sacred or Christian.

But sand on the sea shore is not >>inconsistent<< with anything considered sacred or Christian.

The sand analogy could well apply to types of “secular” music.

For example, the 19th century nursery rhyme, Mary Had A Little Lamb, isn’t “Christian” but it could be refereed to as “secular” in the sense the lyrics are not “Christian”. But the lyrics are not >>inconsistent<< with anything Christian.

On the other hand, somethings that are referred to as “secular” are obviously outright inconsistent with and opposed to Christianity—like Secular Humanism.

In the same way, certain kinds of secular music is inconsistent with and opposed to Christian truths.

The question is, should Christians, who claim to follow Jesus, fill their minds with words and song that oppose Jesus??

Isn’t that like “two timing God”??

How would you like it if your boy friend Jimmy always sang about making love to his other girl friend in your presence??!!

Don’t tell me you would just sit there and let him love sing that “love” song just because he likes it!!

Yet that’s exactly what “Christians” do everyday when they listen to adulterous secular types of music!!

a208x1a^

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jan, 2021 04:23 PM

If you're not open to others' opinions, have fun with that. Have a great day!

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jan, 2021 06:20 PM

Stop looking through a prism, that might help in a big way. And then stop blaming others for your inability to compose a logical argument.

Why not try again, don’t give up. This time be rational

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jan, 2021 06:40 PM

Marcouse says: QUOTE “There is a lot of truth in secular music. Once you know how to spot it you appreciate it more. END QUOTE

Marcouse, did you not read my thread as well? I don’t think I said anything contrary to your opinion above. It’s not the truth in >>some<< secular forms of music I’m concerned about.

Marcouse says: QUOTE: “Throw a dart at any big star and you will find truth drops. Especially in music from the 90's and 2000's.” END QUOTE

I suppose you could throw a dart at a dumpster too and find drops of healthy probiotics among the rubbish but wouldn’t you rather choose a less tainted source??

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Jan, 2021 07:47 PM

I’m not trying to be rude with other people’s replies but it sure seems like some folks respond before they read what they’re responding to

Page : 1 2