Author Thread: Do you think that dating sites are actually a hindrance to dating?
Admin

Do you think that dating sites are actually a hindrance to dating?
Posted : 1 Feb, 2021 08:41 AM

Hey...

Maybe I'm a throwback from another era or something (my first pet was a dinosaur...lol), but I can remember a time when "boy meets girl", they eventually go out on a date, there's nervousness, uncertainty, hopefulness, etc., etc., etc.

In other words, things happened gradually, and things either developed or didn't develop naturally over a course of time.

Compare that to dating sites today.

To me, and this is only one man's opinion, they seem to be more like job-recruitment centers:

Here are the job expectations (be my husband one day, look like this, etc., etc.)...

Fill out your resume if you meet the job requirements...

Don't call us, we'll call you...

Where is the spontaneity in any of that?

I guess that what I'm getting at is this:

Do any women here believe in old-fashioned dating...risks and all included?

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thank you.

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Feb, 2021 04:57 PM

lol, Marcouse.

I thought I was the only one who did that.

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Feb, 2021 02:08 AM

Online dating expands your meeting and dating pool. Distance can be a bit of a palaver especially if you live on different continents and or if money for frequent travel is low.

I don t believe meeting in person means the relationship is going to be any better than an online one.

There is no stigma attached to online dating anymore.

Online dating cuts out all the hassle involved with conventional dating scenarios.

However, it is nice to physically see, hear, smell and touch another person!!

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Feb, 2021 06:09 AM

Hi, Sia318.

Your first comment about potentially (I added this word because there are no guarantees for success on sites such as this) expanding one's meeting and dating pool is honestly the only reason that I'm still here. In person, I'm very spontaneous, as opposed to scripted, and I'm normally the most popular person wherever I go because I have a very outgoing personality which definitely includes an off-the-wall sense of humor. Here? I feel like a cardboard cutout...lol.

As far as distance being a "palaver" (I had to look that up...never heard that word before) is concerned, I've been there and done that. In fact, my last relationship, which lasted a little more than 2 years, was with a woman from another country. She did travel to America 3 times for somewhat extended periods of time, but distance did take somewhat of a toll on our relationship...especially when her scheduled 4th trip to America had to be cancelled due to travel bans related to this whole Covid-19 thing.

As far as online relationships vs. in person relationships are concerned...well, I don't know about anybody else, but, in my estimation, online relationships are very impersonal, and I much prefer actually being with somebody (for better or for worse) as opposed to just communicating via type online.

Anyhow, thanks for your comments...and for teaching me a new word...lol.

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Feb, 2021 10:26 AM

I don't think dating sites are a hindrance to dating, because people are still meeting & marrying through them, even during this pandemic.

I agree there's no substitute for getting out and meeting people the old fashioned way, but it also doesn't hurt to expand your options...:-)

HazelEyesSparkle

View Profile
History
Posted : 2 Jun, 2021 11:49 PM

I am starting to believe so. Dating sites have been not so good and I really do believe meeting a guy in person or school is the best way

AQuietLifeWanted

View Profile
History
Posted : 15 Mar, 2022 05:50 PM

Sure, the old was was better... and maybe dating sites are 'misnamed'... more like 'compatability sites'...

Page : 1 2 3