Author Thread: Thoughts about dating/marrying a person of another culture/country
donpjt

View Profile
History
Thoughts about dating/marrying a person of another culture/country
Posted : 4 Aug, 2009 09:21 PM

Hey,

I was just wondering what girls and ladies actually thought of dating a person who is of a different country and culture. Well, I'm from India, but I'm here in the US, but I hardly get any replies from the people whom I message. So I wonder if its that people are not really interested in people of another ethnicity or is it that people have a wrong impression about people of other countries (in my case, India) or that people are not open to it or what else... At least interacting with some people around me I feel that people at least have a very wrong impression of people from India :P.. I would like to hear some thoughts on this if anyone is willing to open up. Well, now if you wonder why I would consider dating a foreign person. As far as my beliefs are concerned, especially me being of the reformed faith and very passionate about it, I would prefer to date/marry someone with similar faith. Most people around here are and so I'm interested. And its not just about dating/ marrying, I would love to know people as friends too. I guess maybe people might think that I'm not serious but intentions are different.. Whatever I would be glad what you think on people here who are from a different country.. Considering that you might like everything else would it make a difference that the person is from a different country??

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Aug, 2009 11:02 PM

i'm not sure who or what the negative views of India are, as the ones i have meet and portrayed in Hollywood are polite, gentle and so forth. When i think of India, the amazing culture and terrible poverty runs forefront in my brain.

As for dating or marrying a man of different culture/country. No, i would not.. i may consider Great Britain or an auzzie. Even if a man comes to this country and appears to be americanized, the roots never disappear. I was in college in the 80s and i remember films being made on real stories of women who married a man from Middle East, a few years later, and with kids she moves to his country only to be treated differently and so forth.

Also, i want to be near family and that includes in-laws. Quite frankly, i would discourage my daughters from marrying too. But, as a whole, i think my view is not the view of most people and certainly not p.c.. We are a country made up of multiple cultures... a melting pot.

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Aug, 2009 11:58 AM

I think for me personaly I would be aprehensive about marrying a man who lived outside the USA but if he was already here and a citzen i would have no problem with it..

GBU

bethany

Shunammite

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Aug, 2009 04:54 PM

amazing! this applies to me as well - Naturalized American, but originally from Africa and grew up in England. I would actually prefer to date an American man because they treat women nicer than African men, generally speaking, and the expectation on women here is sooooooooo much less than Africa. I never thought of the in-law perspective. Never had been an issue in my family - I guess because we never really were rooted in Africa (parents and siblings are in England). But I guess you have a point, which makes sense because I do not see myself dating someone other than American/British or African. So, maybe if I had been born and raised American, that list will be 2 short :)

Shunammite

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Aug, 2009 04:57 PM

wise point on citizenship, LadyIzShy. You probably have learned that you can be used just for that purpose - attaining permanent US residency. But not everyone looks to use that way. God help us! How I wish we could read each other's minds - EVERYONE on earth! Talk about a brainet!

donpjt

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Aug, 2009 09:02 PM

well, thanks for the replies... well, firstly I've normally seen that most people have the wrongest concepts about India, particularly among christians, like India is not a poor country as it was maybe years back, sure there are poor people, and a lot of beggars, but most of the beggars get so much money that they make it a profession cos they can earn well. Besides India is the 4th largest economy in the world with Purchasing power parity, otherwise 12th largest, Mumbai is the largest city in the world w. r. to population and has the largest stock exchange in Asia, Indian railways are the largest in the world, Besides is its one of the 9 nuclear powers and well, almost everything you get in the US is available in India too and sure movies and all gadgets come out the same time they are released in the US.. Sure there are underdeveloped places in India which might be highlighted too much. Of course they are here also. So India is not the poor country which everyone thinks it is. But one of the fastest developing economies in the world.

And well, besides I have seen that people who are not Christians are more open to marry an Indian and have more knowledge about the current India for than Christians. Besides I thought there was more of a spirit of Unity when people are Christians. If national and cultural barriers are not broken when you are a Christian and still people don't consider being with a person of a different culture because of the unity in spirit then I guess there is a lot of stress on external appearances than on the heart and on Christ. Personally for me, I don't get any monetary gain by marrying an American because most Americans think that is what many Indians might be looking for. I would be much well off monetarily by marrying someone from my own culture because of my family background. And besides in India people think its bad to marry an American because of the lifestyle of the people here. But I thought maybe being a christian does change a lot of lifestyle, but I can see that its still affected a lot of the culture and lifestyle of the people around. And I'm definitely proud to be an Indian and not ashamed of it in anyway. And of course I'm not looking for anyone to like me out of sympathy or because I'm from India, but because of who I am in Christ.

Well, I already felt that maybe people even avoid talking to me, just because they might have a misconception about Indians, so thats the reason I thought I'd bring this up.

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Aug, 2009 10:52 PM

Now we all know about India. Back to your original questions pertaining to an image of Indians and why not marry. I believe the issues of concerns have been raised and deal with any other country; not specific to India. Maybe the issues is not to race or ethnic but your perception of prejudice. (real or unreal)

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Aug, 2009 11:01 PM

hey, i thought i'd share i've had an "Indian" look at my profile twice recently. And i think he is cute, profile simple (which i find attractive), close State and i probably would "talk" to him (in romance way). I would be assuming although he may be Indian, he has lived most of his 33 years in U.S.A., and his family lives here. He won't email me because he wants children, about a foot taller than me and i'm too old for him. He should be starting a family. So it's not prejudice, but practicality. Indian men are gorgeous.

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Aug, 2009 11:41 AM

dear don, youre a nice enuff lookin feller and someday you will find that woman that will prefer you over everyone else here in this world..

im very surprised that you would pull out the race card here. as racist is hatred and i dont think christian women hate you. and specially not just cause youre from india..

ya see theres a tiny little thing called preference ,when it comes to love and attraction to our mate.

see since ive been online and thats been quite awhile off and on.. ive written to quite a few women from india and none of them ever wrote back..

now did i go ahhhhhh all them christian women from india are just racist..

heck naw ,maybe they like blue eyes instead of my brown, maybe they like blondes or red heads or black haired men stead of my light brown i said they just didnt prefer me ,now let me go find someone who does.. cause i wanna be prefered,, hehe

so my advice to you id dont get hung up on who dont prefer you , concentrate on findin the one thats gonna.

ole cattle

donpjt

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Aug, 2009 04:48 PM

Hey cattleman, thanks for the advice, normally I'm too blunt at saying what I feel.. not a good thing to have. But you're right, I am who I am and others are who they are, can't be changed. and of course, more than others God is to be trusted. So well, if my words seem harsh to anyone, am sorry about that.. Just felt a bit disappointed, thats why I decided to express myself. But no ill feelings involved at all. And of course practicality and preference are important things for sure.

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Aug, 2009 06:01 PM

dear don, youre welcome man.. and hey i prefer someone to be blunt and speak their minds and express theirselves.. hang in there .. i know it can get frusteratin at times..

ole cattle

Page : 1 2