Author Thread: Planning Personality Vs. Laid Back
DAVWEY83

View Profile
History
Planning Personality Vs. Laid Back
Posted : 20 Aug, 2009 01:39 PM

This is not really a dating question, but more of a question about a female friend.

I like to plan, I like a end goal, such as "This weekend, lets go hiking"

and initially, the friend agrees, even over the course of a couple days. Then, when the day arrives, she no longer wants to go hiking, wants to do something else. After I had spent a hour or so getting my stuff ready the night before, finding the route to a good hiking place etc.

This happens all the time. When I get frustrated, she tells me to relax. She has a really go with the flow personality.

I don't know how to respond without sounding like I am complaining.

I don't know what to do.

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Aug, 2009 02:50 PM

Well, it doesn't really sound like she has a "go with the flow" personality if she's wanting to change the plans you've set your flow to. Just a thought.

tristan07

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Aug, 2009 03:00 PM

Stop hiking?

kdhny11

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Aug, 2009 06:42 PM

Seems pretty obvious to me she just doesn't like hiking but doesn't know how to tell you that - or is afraid of disappointing you.

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Aug, 2009 08:21 PM

dear folks, dav welcome to the fprums..

and kdh you just might be onto summin there..

ole cattle

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Aug, 2009 05:12 AM

I agree with those that say she might not like hiking, but it depends...if she never goes then that's probably the case. But if she does, but just not all the time, then maybe she really does just want to do other stuff. Maybe just explain what you want or what frustrates you.

As for the planning vs spur of the moment thing, if wou really want things to be ok, learn to enjoy the fact that you're different...one weekend you plan something, the next week, let her make up the adventure as you go along for the ride...

AfterGodsheart1234

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Aug, 2009 04:02 PM

I have a sneaking suspicion that it isnt just hiking that she may change plans on. I would tell her that though you respect her change of heart, it would be easier for you if she gave you a heads up way ahead of the "day of". This way she is aware of what she is doing and you are no longer frustrated which can change to resentment and thus a failed friendship.

Hope this helps!