Author Thread: Looking at the idea of a 'concept' as: 1) 'individual understandings', (which most often is based on preconceived ideas and assumptions), versus 2) God's hopes and expectations towards us in seeking knowledge of Him, and His (actual) Truth, in light of His Concepts, put forth in the bible, as He defines them.
AQuietLifeWanted

View Profile
History
Looking at the idea of a 'concept' as: 1) 'individual understandings', (which most often is based on preconceived ideas and assumptions), versus 2) God's hopes and expectations towards us in seeking knowledge of Him, and His (actual) Truth, in light of His Concepts, put forth in the bible, as He defines them.
Posted : 29 Mar, 2022 12:00 PM

The word 'concept' is an interesting thing. People can have 'a concept' of... let's say ... 'what is right, and what is wrong'. Often a problem arises in that, if the basis for that individual person's concept is left unexamined, there can be many errors based on assumptions and misunderstandings.

And even if the concept is based on what the person believes to be the most refined source of 'truth' regarding that concept, unless it is TRULY the most accurate source of untainted, uncorrupted 'knowledge', then that conclusion may be flawed... equally as much as what might amount to little more than 'a good guess'.

Unfortunately, people don't want to invest in the 'spiritual sweat equity' involved in obtaining The Truth... So we all must ask ourselves just how valuable is GOD'S TRUTH, to me?... to you?

'So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, And apply thine heart to understanding; Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, And liftest up thy voice for understanding; If thou seekest her as silver, And searchest for her as for hid treasures; Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, And find the knowledge of God. For the LORD giveth wisdom: Out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.' Proverbs 2:2‭-‬6 KJV

Comments, anyone???

JamesEG

View Profile
History
Looking at the idea of a 'concept' as: 1) 'individual understandings', (which most often is based on preconceived ideas and assumptions), versus 2) God's hopes and expectations towards us in seeking knowledge of Him, and His (actual) Truth, in light of His Concepts, put forth in the bible, as He defines them.
Posted : 31 Mar, 2022 12:31 PM

AQuietLifeWanted, you make some excellent points.

Even if a human being sincerely seeks to try his or her best to discern the truth and be obedient to it, this human will fall short. We can only try to do our best; we cannot do our best.

However, the closer we come to doing so, the happier, healthier, longer, and more fruitful our lives will be, other things being equal.

Romans 8:28 makes it clear that if we love God and follow his leading or purpose, whatever happens will be for our good. But being able to sincerely love and follow God in all we do is not feasible for humans, who all fall short.

One reason I remain an undenominational Christian who watches/listens to/visits congregations of various denominations is that each has part of the truth.

AQuietLifeWanted

View Profile
History
Posted : 31 Mar, 2022 08:39 PM

Well said, James. I was fortunate to not have been raised in any denomination. Therefore l did not have to 'unlearn' errors, or go through the wrestlings and guilt of leaving behind beliefs that had been drilled in to my psyche from a young age. So the journey has been very interesting for me.

Being a very curious, analytical and logical person, l tend to ask questions. I have yet to find a pastor who can give answers as to why they supposedly believe as they profess to believe. And l find that odd very strange and disconcerting.

It's bad enough to believe something, simply because someone says it is so. But how much worse to hold a bible up in one's own hand and say, "l know that doctrine is true because my pastor says it's in here!" There will be a day of reckoning, accountability and judgment for all of us in some respect. Should we not wonder if God might not take strong issue with our having His Word in our hands, yet never desiring to open it up and search out Truth for ourselves?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts... 🌾

JamesEG

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Apr, 2022 09:51 AM

Thanks, AQuietLifeWanted.

It would be great if many more Christians who claim the Bible is the word of God took time to read it entirely.

When read prayerfully and interpreted properly, the Bible is a magnificent resource. It can inspire us to live better lives that make ourselves, others, and the world a better place.

As for ordained ministers: when I've asked ordained ministers the reasons for their beliefs, they sometimes provide reasons. But often these reasons are neither logical, nor well-reasoned. It's a bad reflection on Christianity to have so much division and so many denominations.

In many cases I suspect so-called preachers themselves don't believe the views they espouse. But they espouse them to retain the support of deacons, elders, church members, etc.,-- persons that provide the monetary and other support that allows them to keep their jobs. Still, many do provide useful service that benefits large numbers of persons. And the burnout rate among ordained ministers is extremely high.

Ultimately, all any of us can do is seek to prayerfully do our best and trust God for the rest.

AQuietLifeWanted

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Apr, 2022 11:37 AM

True James, l want to address what might seem to be an issue with me... l do not mean to sound harsh, though l probably do, at times. So if l ever come across as that, l apologize to you, and to all who might read these comments...

Yes, people could do so much to fortify the strength that God longs to see within those who believe by simply endeavoring to read the bible... bit by bit... hear a little and there a little... God will faithfully build on even the smallest foundation, for all great things begin in the smallest efforts. And from such willing investments of time, and effort, mighty things can come...

As to pastors... l find most only seem to know what has been fed them in seminary training relative to their particular denomination. Many times over the years, pastors from different churches... with a second person in tow, visited my home to do bible studies...

I remember one time in particular, we were discussing the bible, and l asked the pastor's view on a subject - which was a pretty common, non-contentious topic... I was honestly just expecting him to share HIS PERSONAL THOUGHTS on the subject... (according to what he found in the bible).

His response was so odd... he looked like he was suddenly lost in how he should reply... like someone who stumbles backwards because they've lost their balance. He looked at me... then he turned and looked at his companion as though he might have the answer... and his companion looked at him sort of 'befuddled'... and they both looked back at me. Then the pastor looked one more time at his friend, who looked lost as to what was going on. Then the pastor began stammering just a little bit as he began trying to answer the question. He looked like a student who got called on in class, but didn't study. His answer was: "Uhhh... ummm... ahh... well... we never studied that in seminary." My first thought, (though unspoken) was: "l was just looking for 'your thoughts on a simple subject', yet it seems you are saying that if you 'didn't learn what was to be 'opinion' in seminary - then you have no opinion at all... lt seemed apparent that he did not rely on The Word found in personal study - but rather counted on 'rote memorization' from some denominationally- determinant organization situated in buildings which are thereby equivalent to 'White-washed sepulchres (tombs), which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.' (Matt 23:27) '...(for) in vain they do worship me, Teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.' (Matt 15:9)

I actually felt sorry for them...

JamesEG

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Apr, 2022 11:02 AM

AQuietLifeWanted, thanks for detailing that personal experience of a conversation with a pastor. His inability or unwillingness to share a personal opinion on the issue is a bit disconcerting. But at least he acknowledged not having considered the issue.