Author Thread: Looking for Love: Long Distance Dating
writergirl436

View Profile
History
Looking for Love: Long Distance Dating
Posted : 24 Sep, 2023 03:24 PM

Years ago men and women wrote to each other for purposes of love and friendship. Letters were one of the few ways for a distant couple to remain in contact, particularly in wartime. Today, of course, we have dating sites to find everything from a date, friendship, activities partner, prayer partner, and/or romantic love.

I've been on a dating site since March. Through these past months, I’ve rarely found a date or otherwise that lived nearby. So how do you get to know someone who lives in another state or on another side of the world? Can a long-distance relationship really survive let alone thrive? A guy on this dating site said long-distance relationships turn out to be nothing more than pen pals. That’s not necessarily true. I think it depends on the willingness of the two people involved to creatively make it work. You CAN make it work if you try. After all, if you’re like me, I’ve found no one I wanted to date at the large church I go to and they stopped doing singles night at the grocery store several years ago. So how do you meet someone — someone nice?

To learn more about long-distance dating, please read the two articles below (links). You’ll find there are lots of great reasons that support the idea that long-distance relationships can be a great way to meet someone. As you read the articles, think about the qualities that are important in a good relationship like shared values, similar interests, respect, communication, integrity, honesty, and trust. You also want to make sure you are able to be yourself with that person. This last thing is really important because I believe that the greatest gift you can offer to another person is to be yourself. You are a delightful gift filled with interesting ideas and experiences. And it’s equally important that you share those gifts in a humble way with others. You’ll be surprised at how much good you can do in another person’s life just by sharing what you know and where you’ve been. However, the most important relationship you can ever have is a personal relationship with God. You may not realize this now, but anything worthwhile in life including relationships comes from knowing a loving God who sees your value and has created you for a purpose.

~Christian Article: How Should a Christian View Long Distant Relationships

https://www.gotquestions.org/long-distance-relationships.html

~Article: Best Long Distance Relationship Tips

https://time.com/5316307/best-long-distance-relationship-tips-experts

writergirl436

HazelEyesSparkle

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Oct, 2023 01:32 AM

That is true, long distance can work. It is best to watch out for scammers though. I was talking to a man for a year and a half out of state and when we met, he decided to not contact me ever again. Yet he said he liked me and liked talking to me. Plus, he was the one pushing to meet. Go figure. I think if there is mutual trust, like, and understanding, it can work.

HazelEyesSparkle

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Oct, 2023 01:34 AM

And yes, it's so hard to meet people! I go to grocery stores, libraries, places, and work in a busy environment but never meet anyone! Very frustrating. To top it off, everyone here is out of state or country and the settings don't work to filter it out.

WeddingDJ^

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Oct, 2023 06:25 AM

Better to be with someone 5000 miles away that you're equally yoked with than someone 5 miles away that's you're not compatible with.

writergirl436

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Oct, 2023 07:24 AM

So well said! Thank you for reading my article and for responding! Be careful out there! Nanci

writergirl436

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Oct, 2023 07:34 AM

Thank you for leaving a message and reading my article. Would it be okay if I left you a message? I have something to share with you about dating that I believe will help you. You can let me know at writergirl436. thank you! Nanci

writergirl436

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Oct, 2023 07:44 AM

Hazeleyessparkle: I can't leave you a message because of our age requirements. However, have you invited Jesus into your heart -- are you living for Him? Find a church that preaches the Bible and you will probably find some suitable men close to home. Mind you, they won't be perfect but their values will be more in line with what you are looking for. I hope this is helpful.

God bless you! Nanci

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Oct, 2023 10:19 AM

Ridiculous

You're not with someone who is 5000 miles away.

Arrowhead

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Oct, 2023 01:52 PM

Several of our major American food corporations have been using a preservative that is also a major endocrine disruptor. This particular product can obviously cause problems with development hormonally, and with the crazy left liberal culture that we have now many people, especially young parents don’t understand the proper way to raise little boys and little girls on top of that we have a large majority of children are raised in single-parent homes and or, are victims of abuse and neglect of some kind. This is where we get most of our issues with sexual identity disorder, and same sex attraction. I don’t see that it’s very wise to put a link on a Christian dating website that shows same sex couples in a romantic relationship. What I see are two people with mental health disorders. sadly to say we need to be mindful of the disgusting left liberal agenda that they have put on our American culture with trying to convince everyone that same-sex attraction is normal and acceptable.

Arrowhead

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Oct, 2023 01:54 PM

There are a lot of important little things that you can’t see through a computer screen and you can’t hear from someone’s voice. If someone is contemplating a long distance relationship, it should be relatively short. The best thing is to meet the person, face-to-face inside of a period of 30 to 60 days. Oftentimes when a couple meets, one or the other find a particular defect or flaw and sometimes the chemistry just isn’t there. Sometimes one person is in love with the other person and the chemistry is not going both ways. My personal opinion is from experience, it’s rather foolish to think that you can maintain a healthy, romantic relationship for a long period of time over a computer screen or on a telephone. You should always try to meet in 30 to 60 days minimum. And even after you do meet, then everyone is on their best behavior and they’re hiding their flaws. You don’t really get to know a person until you’ve been with them for at least 90 days or longer sometimes six months before one of the other lets their guard down, and the truth comes out. Sadly to say in the old days thousands of years ago, a child’s parents would pick out their spouse for them, and you were stuck with that spouse for the rest of your life, but that’s probably why the Bible commands the husbands to love their wives because it’s not always a natural thing to do it. Oddly enough there’s no commandment in the Bible for the wives to love their husbands. They’re only told to respect their husbands. A true Christian 100% perfect Christian, which I am not, could be in a successful marriage and not have to have the goosebumps and the romantic “in love feeling” present at all times. It’s great if it is there and it’s great if you can sustain it and build on it, but it doesn’t necessarily have to be there.

Arrowhead

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Oct, 2023 01:57 PM

One final note, I’d like to point out is that there are some religious clichés that kind of fall flat on my ears and I wonder if anyone agrees with this? Often times you’ll read in a profile or hear someone say, that they excepted Jesus into their heart or they invited Jesus into their heart or something like that. Keep in mind that just because someone says the sinners prayer, that doesn’t make them a Christian. It’s not good enough to have Jesus in your heart. You have to love Jesus with all your heart, mind, soul and strength, so when I see that someone has Jesus in their heart I don’t see that they are 100% a part of Jesus. When Jesus is in YOU he’s in your life 100% and he’s never not in your life. I don’t think it’s technically correct to say you have a relationship with Jesus, I think you are a part of Jesus you are part of the body of Christ and just saying the sinners prayer is a terrible tradition started back with Billy Sunday I think, and just saying the sinners prayer doesn’t make you a Christian. God himself says that if you love me, you’ll keep my Commandments, so you have to keep reading and follow the rest of the commandments that are in the New Testament such as loving your neighbor as yourself and many others. We should always desire what God desires, God’s desires become our desires. If God wants a spouse for you, then ask God if a particular person is the person that you should marry. God will answer your prayer. Most people don’t ask God questions when they pray.

Page : 1 2