Author Thread: Pacifism
DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Pacifism
Posted : 16 Nov, 2009 10:43 AM

How would the world wars have turned out if America had been ready to defend the moment it started, instead of watching from the sidelines? What good is a pacifist? They refuse to fight, and then millions of people die while they watch. It's evil. Remember the gang rape not too long ago? Those people standing there watching? That's a perfect example of a pacifist. Pacifism should be a dirty word. Don't get me wrong though. I do not believe we should be the ones starting the conflicts. But when it comes to pure military might, we should be so scary that anyone would think twice....maybe even three times...before pulling some evil stuff. And I just want to say...America has a excellent track record for being the good guy. If it wasn't for the US Military, this world would truly be worse off. Yet nobody likes us very much...

"If you were of the world, the world would love it's own".

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Pacifism
Posted : 16 Nov, 2009 11:24 AM

Our early Church Fathers such as Tertullian and Origen wrote supporting that a Christian should refuse to participate in any military action.

The Church even now does not condone war, but it does take into account a �Just War�.

I am a Pacifist. �I hate violence so much that sometimes I get violent.� (a line from a John Wayne movie)

This country would be a British Subject or Spanish � French Territory or divided in two or speaking Japanese or German or soon Muslim ----- if it were not for Men and Woman who valued Freedom more than their Lives.

War is incredibly ugly and destructive � a nightmare. Some were needless.

But to become a Pacifist in the face of evil is to relinquish the sword God gave us to strike it downl.

Evil is a coward. Evil searches for the weak � frail � unprepared � soft. It retreats from strength. It will cower at righteousness. God gave us The Sword of Truth to snap off the heads of slinking evil snakes. If you choose not to fight � it won't be held against you � just move out of the way of those that will defend you.

�Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death� Who said that? Gandhi?

Peace (I mean) (Don't make me come over there)

View Profile
History
Pacifism
Posted : 17 Nov, 2009 10:23 PM

It was Patrick Henry, during the American Revolution.

there are two sides to the coin here. Thou shall not kill, which really means don't murder contrasted with the sacrificial love of laying down your life for others. :applause:

View Profile
History
Pacifism
Posted : 17 Nov, 2009 11:57 PM

Yeah, I mean there were wars and battles in the Bible. God even guided His chosen people and gave them strength during those battles. The one thing we have to be careful about is being on the offensive. We are finally in a country where we can celebrate our Christianity, or so I've heard. lol. I think it's wise not to jump straight into a battle when a fight is started.

Now for MY opinion... hehe... I believe that, as christians, we shouldn't engage in ANY kind of fights. Period. America isn't necessarily christian, though, so I can't speak for America and what she should do. I just can't help but think about what Jesus did. When he was getting arrested, Peter lashed out against one of the guards. Jesus got on to him! He told him to stop... AND THEN HEALED THE GUARD!!! Wow. THEN, when Jesus was confronted by the higher authorities, He didn't plead guilty or innocent. He didn't perform another miracle to prove His innocence. He LET them beat Him and condemn Him to death. If He had fought back or performed a miracle, it would have been out of selfish motive. It would have been better for HIM. That's not the example He wanted to set. HE was more concerned with OTHERS before Himself. So He just let them run all over Him and mock Him. It saddens me... but it also gives me encouragement... because He overcame the world. He made all of these seemingly stupid decisions and died... to overcome the world. To do the right thing. This is an example that is HARD to follow, and that I don't believe ANY nation will EVER follow, but it's what I feel like christians are called to do. Become servants. Humble ourselves. This is one of many ways we receive blessings.

In Christ

Garrett

(sorry for the lengthy response. lol. wasn't paying attention. lol)

Tarasye

View Profile
History
Pacifism
Posted : 18 Nov, 2009 03:57 AM

Interesting post. Balance in all things is not an easy thing to achieve sometimes. For I don't believe in violence, yet I will not stand by an allow someone to beat another person and do nothing.

Discernment in all things is a gift to be prayed for. For Jesus, Himself, our best example grew upset to the point of violence in the temple, even though we are not told that He struck anyone. He may have, or just as easily might not have, either way would likely have been if He had been struck first in this altercation. I think the very example or clearing the temple is meant to tell us that on rare occasions it might become necessary to become extreme, but this is not the normal. Discernment is important. It matters. To know when to stand, and when not to be drawn in. I think for this reason, we need to pray always for guidance in the Spirit, and just as important, this very thing truly applies to our words as well. How often we are drawn into things that we should probably walk away from.

Thank you all so much for giving me the opportunity to reflect upon my actions and how they impact others as well as how they impact my relationship with the Lord. I know that in your sharing, your conversation blesses others as well, and not just me. I truly feel blessed to be in such good company.

Tarasye

View Profile
History
Pacifism
Posted : 18 Nov, 2009 10:29 AM

dear folks,

exodus 20:13 "You shall not murder.

ecclesiastes 3:1 To everything there is a season,

A time for every purpose under heaven:

ecclesiastes 3:3 A time to kill,

And a time to heal;

A time to break down,

And a time to build up;

ecclesiastes 3:8 A time to love,

And a time to hate;

A time of war,

And a time of peace.

ole cattle

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Pacifism
Posted : 18 Nov, 2009 07:04 PM

Well, I believe the reason Jesus chastised Peter was because Peter lashed out in anger/aggression. As far as Christians not being involved in fighting, I agree. But it depends on the fight. Personally, I would have a hard time killing someone to defend myself, but if it was necessary to kill someone to save lives I wouldn't hesitate. There should a huge amount of discernment when it comes to Christians fighting, but I do believe a Christian should be a defender of the oppressed.

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Pacifism
Posted : 18 Nov, 2009 07:24 PM

Touch�. Touch�. :angel: Very good thoughts.

aceets

View Profile
History
Pacifism
Posted : 22 Nov, 2009 01:35 AM

Garrett,

I absolutely agree with your post.

I would just like to add that Pacifists are by no means assivists! (pun intended) They do many things in order to prevent armed conflicts and bring reconciliation between waring sides.

Blessings

Aceets

View Profile
History
Pacifism
Posted : 28 Nov, 2009 08:31 PM

This leaves open the possibility that Christians might support a just war. God has given to the governing authorities the right to bear the sword (Romans 13:1-6). There are occasions when justice and love painfully call for military force for the sake of opposing aggression or liberating the oppressed. In such cases our prayers would be for the minimizing of misery and the speedy triumph of justice and the restraint of animosities and cruelties.

In christ

Steve

skinnywhiteboy

View Profile
History
Pacifism
Posted : 18 Jan, 2010 12:50 PM

I noticed all the responses, and even the beginning question here took a military bend. But what about on a personal level? If I'm being attacked, or defending someone weaker than myself? You should turn the other cheek, I agree. But also-your body is a Temple of God. Where do you draw the line? If I saw someone attacking a woman, I'd hop in, but what about men? What if I break someone's jaw for example, defending someone else? This isn't meant to be argumentative, but a serious question. I ask because I've had it come up in my own life, and wonder what others think