Author Thread: Hot Topic: Gimme that Christian Side Hug!
Admin

Hot Topic: Gimme that Christian Side Hug!
Posted : 9 Dec, 2009 04:34 PM

Gimme that Christian Side Hug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Oj0-splZw

Are the sexual merits of hugging really worth thinking about, Christians? Do we have to demonize every form of physical contact? Is side huggging really a "more holy" way to conduct onesself, or is this just one big joke?

Weigh in.

NatalDeLaMer

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Dec, 2009 07:26 PM

First of all, this song is completely hilarious.

Second, is the christian side hug a rule that I was never informed about?? I normally hug people the regular way. Side hugs only happen if body position doesn't allow a regular one, or if it's with a person I would rather not have touching me...

I suppose if side hugs are your thing, then that is cool, I leave it up to the people participating in the hug, otherwise, I think it's a little goofy and extreme :P

GraceMae

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Dec, 2009 07:44 PM

I watched and listened to the video.

Sometimes I think we mix to much of the world in what we're trying to express as Christians. I personally don't think we ought to take worldly music and change it to express Christianity. I know we're trying to touch all the world and all generations, but it can be so deceiving to particularly the new believer, because they've not yet the chance to know right from wrong with scripture. The babes in Christ can be so easily taken in and beleive whatever if they don't know better. The venues we chose to express to encourage others can be misleading, and some may view some forms of music as no different than the world. So Christianity for some appears no different than anything else. Then there are those who know Christians may be more gullable, and prey on those for propaganda.

While the "beat" might appear good, the "message" doesn't. I think it's a mindset also as we give greeting hugs at church services. Most times I think most of us are sincere in a hugging greet, but some with impure motives, well.....

* Grace Mae

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Dec, 2009 08:09 PM

I think a side hug would be infinitely more awkward than a regular hug, but especially if one of the people was initially going for a regular hug

The song is actually satire -- meant to be a mocking (but lovingly so) self-parody of certain sects of Christianity that take things a bit too seriously.

I agree, I thought it was hilarious too.

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Dec, 2009 05:33 AM

LMAO! I can't belive this is not a spoof!

"when i hug people i leave space for the holy spirit" ......hillarious.

I don't use the 'side hug' unless i'm in a walking conversation. If i don't want someone touching me, i don't let them, no fake hugs .. oops i mean 'side hugs'. Else it's a proper hug. People take this ting too far man, jeeze

Nyanda

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Dec, 2009 08:09 PM

No, the video and song IS a spoof.

http://www.stereotruth.net/2009/12/exclusive-interview-christian-side-hug-creatorrapper/

However, the concept of side hugging instead of front hugging IS something that a few youth groups and churches push

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Dec, 2009 11:37 PM

Didn't bother to watch the video.

But I gotta say, are we really this paranoid? I mean, I get the fact that some of us are more sensitive to this thing than others, but frankly, this is letting the weaker brother set all the rules, which Paul NEVER commanded. The logical end to letting the weaker brother set the rules, to me at least, is that you have a flavorless Christianity which is boring.

Man, and here I thought "rebelling" was reading theological papers. Nah. It's the good ol' side hug. :laugh:

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Dec, 2009 03:05 PM

Friends I have done both and never thought anything about it.The word says to greet your brethen with a holy kiss.When I first got saved I had a pastor who did that to his prayer buddies.He would give us a holy kiss.Nothing sexual, just godly love for your brother.

I knew the pastor and was ok with it.It was done at prayer meetings not at church time,Sunday mornings.

When I am giving instructions sometimes I put my arm around someones shoulders to get personel.

I do greet friends in church with a hug.

Dennis