Author Thread: Do you want to get married?
Admin

Do you want to get married?
Posted : 2 Jan, 2010 11:27 AM

Ok Ladies... that question is not a proposal. LOL

Seriously though. Do you really want to get married?

Do you know the type of mate you are seeking?

The real question is this.

Are you or are you striving to BE the right mate for your future mate?

Do you have flaws? Will you accept his flaws?

What are you doing in order to become the best child of God and potential mate for your potential mate?

Food for thought.

Blessings!

Walter

Blossom123

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Jan, 2010 10:08 AM

Yes I do want to get married! :applause:

The Word of God is really all we need to look for answers. The book Proverbs should be a regular "read" for us. It is our manual for how to live victorious lives. Though we've all made mistakes in the past, the Lord is a God of second chances. I very much look forward to marrying the one God has chosen for me and I trust Him with His choice. I however recognize that if I want to be a blessing for him then it is my responsibility to grow in my relationship with the Lord.

We as believers in Christ should not go into marriage lightly but rather with caution.

Your choice of a life�s partner should be made on the basis of character, not charm or outward beauty. In general, your mate should manifest the characteristics of one who is wise. More specifically, a godly husband or wife will not be the kind of person with whom Proverbs warns us not to associate, but will evidence the qualities of a good friend. Anyone who chooses to disregard the teaching of Proverbs on marriage will live to regret it.

Godly character is what every Christian should strive for. Let us seek it for ourselves, and encourage other believers to seek it also. And let us demonstrate to the lost that godliness and wisdom are worth the cost, and are available only to those who fear the Lord.

The Qualities of a Godly Husband

In general, we can say that a woman should seek a man who is wise. These seem especially applicable to marriage:

1. A wise husband is kind and compassionate (12:10).

2. A wise husband is honest (29:24).

3. A wise husband is hard-working (12:11; 27:23-27).

4. A wise husband is truthful (12:17,19).

5. A wise husband exercises self-control (12:15; 16:32).

6. A wise husband has a gentle tongue (12:18; 15:1-2,4).

7. A wise husband is generous (14:21; 28:27).

8. A wise husband is willing to be corrected (even by his wife) and listens to counsel (12:15; 15:12,31-32; 28:13; 29:1).

9. A wise husband is a man of integrity (19:1; 20:7).

10. A wise husband is faithful and reliable (17:17; 29:3; contrast 25:19; 31:3).

11. A wise husband is forgiving (19:11).

12. A wise husband is willing to admit he is wrong (28:13).

13. A wise husband is humble (15:25,33; 16:18-19; 18:12; 29:23).

14. A wise husband is not contentious, but a peacemaker (17:1; 18:1,19).

15. A wise husband has control of his temper (14:29; 16:32; 17:27; 29:11).

16. A wise husband is a man who avoids excesses (20:1; 23:20-21, 29-35; 31:3-9).

17. A wise husband has a concern for others, especially the poor and the oppressed (29:7).

18. A wise husband can keep a confidence (17:9; 26:20).

19. A wise husband fears God and is obedient to His Word (13:13; 14:26; 16:20; 28:25; 31:30).

20. A wise husband is not a jealous man (27:4).

21. A The wise husband has a positive outlook on life (15:15; 17:22; 18:14).

The Character Traits of a Godly Wife

Proverbs is most specific with regard to the qualities of the godly wife. These are highlighted by contrasting the moral flaws of a woman who is far from virtuous.

1. A GODLY WIFE IS GODLY. Godliness begins with a proper relationship to God. A godly wife is, first and foremost, a woman who fears God.

Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, But a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised (31:30).

In contrast, the woman to avoid is the one who does not know or fear God. She is sometimes referred to as a �strange woman,� that is a foreigner, one who has no knowledge of the God of Israel (cf. 2:25; 5:3,20; 7:5). She is actively evil and has no grasp of the way of the Lord.

She does not ponder the path of life; Her ways are unstable, she does not know it (5:6).

To keep you from the evil woman, From the smooth tongue of the adulteress (6:24).

While perhaps not synonymous with a fear of God, the godly wife is referred to as virtuous or excellent (12:4; 31:10). This seems to describe the moral excellence of the godly wife, a result of her godliness.

2. A GODLY WIFE IS WISE. You will recall that wisdom is personified as a woman in the Book of Proverbs (cf. 1:20-33; 8:1-36; 9:1-6). So also the ideal wife is characterized as a woman of wisdom.

The wise woman builds her house, But the foolish tears it down with her own hands (14:1).

She opens her mouth in wisdom, And the teaching of kindness is on her tongue (31:26).

The opposite of the godly woman is the woman of folly.

The woman of folly is boisterous, She is naive, and knows nothing (9:13).

As a ring of gold in a swine�s snout, So is a beautiful woman who lacks discretion (11:22).

3. A GODLY WIFE HONORS HER HUSBAND. A man who has married a godly wife has a wife who will bring honor to him. She is truly a helper to her husband.

An excellent wife is the crown of her husband, But she who shames him is as rottenness in his bones (12:4).

The heart of her husband trusts in her, And he will have no lack, of gain. She does him good and not evil All the days of her life (31:11-12).

An ungodly wife humiliates and harasses her husband. She is not a helper but a hindrance to her mate. She is �as rottenness in his bones� (12:4). By her haranguing, she makes him miserable:

A foolish son is destruction to his father, And the contentions of a wife are a constant dripping (19:13).

4. A GODLY WIFE IS GRACIOUS. One reason honor is given the godly woman is that she is known for her graciousness.

A gracious woman attains honor, And violent men attain riches (11:16).

The ungodly woman is spoken of in very unbecoming terms. She is vexing, due to her contentious nature:

It is better to live in a corner of a roof, Than in a house shared with a contentious woman (21:9; cf. 25:24).

It is better to live in a desert land, Than with a contentious and vexing woman (21:19).

5. A GODLY WIFE IS FAITHFUL TO HER HUSBAND.

Blessings to all,

Blossom

Agnos

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Jan, 2010 06:32 PM

Ok, Walter...

You have written in the beginning "Food for thought"...

Did you mean what I think you did mean?

I see that around 10 ladies have given to you some of their thoughts... and I don't see the "food" part coming...

Or ... I have missed my slice of pizza?

Your posting has been addressed to the ladies... so, no pizza for those guys, Ok?

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Jan, 2010 06:28 AM

Hi Agnos,

The food for thought means exactly that. What I expressed was "food for thought". That is... food to help you chew on things and make you think so to speak.

Blessings!

Walter

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Jan, 2010 08:29 AM

Blossom123 I likes your comments.You remind me of the Prverbs 31 woman.Good going.

Walter thank you for your email.All is ok here now.Write me again,

God Bless you pal.

Page : 1 2 3 4