Author Thread: Proverbs 18:24
Admin

Proverbs 18:24
Posted : 18 Jan, 2010 06:42 PM

A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.

Here are two simple lessons - friends require friendliness and great friends are better than family. And here we also see a hint of the Lord Jesus Christ, our eternal Friend.

Friendly people have all the friends they want. To make friends or keep friends, a person has to be friendly. When there is a shortage of friends, it proves a person is not friendly. Though they may think and talk of their efforts toward others, they are not truly friendly.

Friends love at all times, not just in prosperity (17:17). Friends give more than take (I Sam 18:3-4; 23:16). Friends give hearty counsel, not haughty advice (27:9). Friends love discreetly with charity (I Cor 13:4-7). Friends are always gracious (22:11). Friends sharpen each other (27:6,17). Friends are intimate (Ex 33:11; Deut 13:6). Friends show pity in affliction (Job 6:14; Ps 35:14). Friends trust each other (Ps 41:9). Friends rejoice in blessings (Luke 15:6; John 3:29). Where do you fail, dear reader?

Friends don't give advice before it is needed, meddle in private matters, presume on time, trivialize matters, have any pride, remember past faults, have any self-righteousness, or claim rights to affection. Have you ever offended in these ways, dear reader?

Exceptional friends are rare. If they were common, they would not be special. Great friends are better than family, for they will stick closer than any mere blood connection. Your brothers did not choose you, but true friends chose you for holy and noble reasons.

David and Jonathan were such friends. David valued Jonathan's love more than that of women (II Sam 1:26). His own brothers disdained him, but Jonathan loved him as his own soul (I Sam 16:1-13; 17:28; 18:1-4). So they made a binding covenant together.

When you find such a friend, do all you can to keep him. Sometimes this person may be an inherited friend from your father (27:10). When in trouble, you want to use this friend rather than family, for he will always be nearby in affection and be honored to help.

Saints should make the best friends, for blood is thicker than blood; that is, Christ's blood is thicker than any other bond. Consider the love of the Spirit (Acts 2:42-47; Phil 1:3-6).

Our Lord Jesus, the eternal Friend of your soul, did more than any friends do - He laid down his life for you, when you were His enemy (John 15:13; Rom 5:8). What brother would do that for you? Let the Lord Jesus Christ alone be the perfect fulfillment here!

you can find these proverbs lessons on the website below...

WWW.LETGODBETRUE.COM

GraceMae

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Jan, 2010 07:07 PM

Very good GivenLife.... jhn1427 posted a question "What does it mean to be a friend? I share what I replied to him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

What does it mean to be a friend?

Posted : 16 Dec, 2009 03:06 PM

Being a friend? Well, now that you're making me really think about it-- well, to be a friend, means to be there for someone as much as possible when they are happy, sad, in need, or as a shoulder of support. Being a friend is not necessarily a daily experience of communicating but knowing that no matter the frequency of being in touch, that person is still the same yesturday, today, and a "just knowing", they'll be the same way tomorrow.

A friend knows the truth and stands by you no matter what. When the bad things happen in life, even the things we cause ourselves, failures - a friend doesn't beat you down. A friend can talk to you and tell you you did wrong, pray with you about correction, listen to you pray repentance if need be, and lift you up to continue on.

A friend spends time watching you grow and tells you congratulations. A friend might forget your birthday or special key events in your life they can't make, but they'll always cheer on in support from the background. A friend will pat your back when you've reached your greatest milestones of accomplishments in life. A friend is not ashamed to say "I love you" and not ashamed to let others know they care about you--no matter if it's man/man or woman/woman friends.

A friend will step away from you if you need space, but always will be watching your back. Even when you get angry at your friend, a "friend" will let you, but will wait patiently for you till you cool off. A friend will learn to apologize even when they might not be right about something, but want to remove any strains. A friend "just knows" a friend and it's ok just the way they are.

I can go on and on, but, that's for starters. And that's the kind of friends I want to have!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love ALL the scriptures you referenced!! Thank you.

~ GraceMae

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Jan, 2010 02:05 AM

Excellent post. I especially like the verse talking about the bond between good friends. I've found that a great friend REALLY IS better than family. I always look forward to what you have to say. Thanks.

In Christ

Garrett

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Jan, 2010 10:52 AM

Gotta add something...since this is a dating site:laugh:. A friend is great, and the good ones are probably better than family if you can find one....but the thing about friends is...they usually live separate lives. They have their own families, their own house/job/kids/pets/whatever. Even your own family usually has separate lives to some degree. Just wanted to point out that a spouse should be like a best friend that you don't want to be separated from by anything. Wasn't really pointed at anything you said, just a random comment, lol. :yay::dancingp:

:peace::peace:

stormcountry33

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Jan, 2010 03:33 PM

Just to add to what has already been said. There is a song that was recordedby Garth Brooks in which the lyrics state,.... "blood is thicker than water, oh but love is thicker than blood." I think we need to realize that yes it was God's Blood that ties us together but it is His love that really binds us together and that is what we see in family and good friendships. LOVE! Just some thoughts.

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Jan, 2010 09:18 PM

Great song!! =)