Author Thread: makeup, piercings, hair dye, tattoos, cosmetic surgery...
Admin

makeup, piercings, hair dye, tattoos, cosmetic surgery...
Posted : 27 Apr, 2010 06:01 PM

What's okay? What's not? Where's the line?

View Profile
History
Posted : 30 Apr, 2010 12:09 AM

Really interesting thoughts, everybody; I've enjoyed reading through them. Sometimes, I think I just overthink the whole thing. Like today, I was putting on my mascara and thinking to myself... Why am I doing this? Is there something wrong w/ the eyelashes God gave me? Is spending $10/tube on mascara a wise use of my money? That money could be used so much more productively in a 3rd world country... Is spending the time curling my lashes and applying it a wise use of time?

Makeup seems like such a small thing, but we're to be faithful in the small things too. In fact, sometimes God won't give us "bigger" things until we prove our faithfulness in the small things. That said, I still have a couple tubes in my makeup bag, so I guess I'm not that convicted about the makeup thing. Yet =)

Piercings... No offense to anyone, but they kinda gross me out (yes, even ear piercings! I am weird, I know!). But, I would almost venture to say that I'm more pro-piercing than pro-makeup because it's less of a time-investment than putting on makeup? Maybe? But then it's kinda permananet, so I dunno... And there are cultural issues with that too.

Hair dye I will never give up... Haha... I guess my thoughts on that are the same as with makeup.

Similar thinking on tattoos, as well. Actually, I kinda want a tattoo. Maybe. Kinda worried about doing something permanent to my body. So I dunno.

Cosmetic surgery is a bit more complex. I guess I pretty much think that unless it's for some medical reason, such as a birth defect or to restore something that was marred in an accident, that it shouldn't be done. And I could really go on-and-on about it. As has been mentioned, I would think that there are some major self-esteem issues behind many decisions for cosmetic surgery.

I think with any of these things, we should remember that we were created by God, that our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, that we need to be wise stewards of what He has given us, and that we need to point to Him and glorify Him in everything we do.

nepb47

View Profile
History
Posted : 30 Apr, 2010 10:23 PM

It is all vanity. The only reason you would want to do that is to make yourself look better, which is vain.

I work in a beauty salon and see so much blatant vanity it disgust me. ( I know, I need another job) People get so caught up in the smallest detail of their appearance but don't even care a bit about the quality of their character, or their behavior. Even Christian people care more about their looks than they do about having a loving heart or any other virtue.

Our bodies are a temple of God. What good is a beautiful worship building if it is dirty and run down on the inside?

But I am just as guilty as the next person, I put on make-up and fix my hair, and the mean while I am thinking vain thoughts.

I think the line should be drawn when what you are doing becomes more important than your walk with God and your devotion to His Word. And if you spend more money on those things than you give to your church and to missions.

Just my opinion.

NEPB

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 May, 2010 07:42 PM

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 says, "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's."

I think tattoos are cool, and its always fun to see my friends new tattoos, but I will never get one because I don't want to decorate what isn't mine. I have experimented with hair dye alot, but I stopped because that stuff destroys your hair. I think that piercings (other than earlobes) are repulsive, especially people that have multiple piercings on their face.

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 May, 2010 12:24 PM

I have tattoos, makeup, piercings and hair dye....I'm still saved by grace! Hallelujah! And God hasn't mentioned anything about them yet!

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 May, 2010 07:00 PM

hahaha i love all!! except cosmetic surgery! haha:glow::glow::glow::glow::glow:

iteachpe

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Jul, 2010 01:35 PM

I personally think each to his own...i am going to have to stand before the Lord and answer for MYSELF...

I have 3 tattoos, done in my youthful "independence" days..do I want anymore..no...am I fine with the ones I have....YES....

they are a part of me...a part of me that taught me a lot about myself...

so sorry is you don't like tattoos on women...then i guess i am not your match...I am a good girl with an edge.

ME? I like a man with rough edges....he has been somewhere, done something, made mistakes, and now he understands how mistakes are made and what to look for in the future......

God Bless:boxing:

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 Apr, 2021 11:16 AM

1 Corinthians 6:19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?

(My witness and testimony is to live unto the Lord, not unto myself. Would my witness and testimony be strengthened and reflective of the message God has on my life if I look like, or attempt to look like the world while I'm chasing any godless thing.)

Page : 1 2