Author Thread: makeup, piercings, hair dye, tattoos, cosmetic surgery...
Admin

makeup, piercings, hair dye, tattoos, cosmetic surgery...
Posted : 27 Apr, 2010 06:01 PM

What's okay? What's not? Where's the line?

View Profile
History
Posted : 27 Apr, 2010 10:22 PM

I think there is a verse somewhere that tells us not to get tattoos but I can't find it. I think we just have to keep in mind whether or not we are reflecting the nature and character of God in the way we appear to others. Some of it is cultural for sure so I suppose that what is acceptable in one place may not be in another.

I have learned to look beyond appearances and seek out the soul of a person. God is more interested in the person than in their personality. Besides my favorite pastor has some really awesome sleeves!!

Thunder

InHisHonor

View Profile
History
Posted : 27 Apr, 2010 11:00 PM

Leviticus 19:28 You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks on you. I am the LORD.

But I do believe that was based on idol worship. As what the Egyptians did to honor there pagan gods.

Does it mean that Christians today absolutely can not get a tattoo? I'm not sure. I think it can become a slippery slope if not careful, getting a tattoo can be addicting and can become an idol.

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 Apr, 2010 06:31 AM

I di not have any thing like this.However, a lady does look nice with pierced ear rings and make up.if she wants cosmetic surgery that depends.is it really needed? a doctor may say it does.Dennis

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 Apr, 2010 01:34 PM

I also think the tattoo thing etc is about worshipping of false gods. I can guess that priests of false gods had certain tattoos and everybody back then would understand: Do not worship with them or become a priest of that false god etc. After all, doesn't Pal also say not to have long hair, Thunder? *grin*

Don't get me wrong, mine is rather long too meanwhile, gotta get a recent pictre to my profile I think...

I think all those things, from make up to surgery and tattoos, depend on why we do it. Is it because we like it to have it that way, okay.

I mean if you want to be die hard "natural" and "no change to how God made us", you wouldn't ever cut hair or even shower to wash the "God given sweat" off, right?

About the surgery I always have a feeling that those people have problems with their self esteem, and I wonder if surgery will really help. There can be cases where it does, especially when it's to get rid of the outcome of accidents with fire or such. The same applies to make up. Some women seem to me as wearing it as a mask, not feeling comfortable without, and I am sorry for this, because I have never seen a woman who looked good with make up and bad without. It's just another kind of beauty to show wearing make up, which might be nice at times...

So I think the line is (that was the inicial question, right?) there where worship of false gods start (some ideal of beauty: slimness, curves...) or where it is the outcome of low self esteem where it wouldn't help either. But whenever it is just something you like, like you prefer the green shirt to the blue one, I think there's nothing too wrong with it. But in those cases, one most likely wouldn't have surgery...? Anyway, however you put it, I would never call this a question about morality.

God bless you all

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 Apr, 2010 02:19 PM

I think that makeup on ladies can be very attractive IF it is not over-done. When the makeup becomes the first thing a person notices, the wearer has missed the point: enhancing the natural beauty.

I also think that ladies can have pierced ears if they wish...nothing wrong with that. As far as other piercings go, I'm not sure they are "sinful," but I personally think that they identify with a worldly culture...I don't think they are exactly attractive anyway! Tattoos are about the same as other piercings.

Cosmetic surgery is a tough one. Sometimes cosmetic surgery is a good thing, such as when it is used to correct scarring left by an accident, or to fix a birth defect. If it is strictly done for vanity's sake, I don't know how I feel about that. Perhaps that is one of those things that a person simply has to pray about and seek God's will in. I don't think the Bible addresses it specifically, does it?

SOS4EMAILFRIEND

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 Apr, 2010 02:59 PM

I think drawing the line between normal and wrong is very personal.

When I was a child, it was perfectly normal for a sailor to have tattoos... but a business man ....or a woman...

My 12 year old daughter keeps telling me not to look so shocked when we are on the beach and I see her friends with piercings in the most strange places. I cannot help but feeling very old fashioned. Especially when I see the parents of those kids...having tattooos and piercings themselves.

Before, hair dye was typically for women but today men also dye their hair.

As to cosmetic surgery, I myself think that one should live with the body parts that one is given.

But on the other hand, I can understand that some people have their nose reshaped as it gets constantly in the way while kissing.... or their ears put in such way that they catch less wind...

Corrective surgery could be a real release for them. I think it does not make them bad or pride christians.

I sometimes wonder where people would stop. My neighbour started with a corrective chin surgery.... now 13 years later, she has had her entire face and body totally renovated... it makes me wonder if she can still be considered a woman created by God according to His image...

And like Abedjau says in his post, when there are horrible accidents, then the possibilities of cosmetic surgery are a wonderful way to undo some of the terrible damage.

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 Apr, 2010 06:09 PM

Ah, I forgot the hair dye part...

I think that hair dye is ok, as long as it doesn't draw too much attention to the person. Personally, I will turn to the bottle before I go gray! The hair dye bottle, that is.

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 Apr, 2010 08:04 AM

BCP kids make you go gray!!!!!!! You want kids,right?????? I will mail you some wash that gray right out.:ROFL:

Love this!!!!!!!! :hearts:

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 Apr, 2010 08:53 AM

Dennis, I'm afraid that graduate school already started the graying process! I got my first few gray hairs after my first stressful semester! Fortunately, the progression has slowed now that I'm settled in a less stressful job (hey, it's far easier to give tests than take them, right?) But my hair is still a natural reddish-brown for now!

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 Apr, 2010 06:56 PM

Do not laugh this is not funny.My youngest brother is the tattoo king.All over his body,arms,back, chest.with rings in his lip and eyebrows.rings in his ears too.He does tattoos,ok. He puts them on my sister in law, ( his wife ) too. She has them all over too.I

have to stop here.:ROFL:

I am sure you all understand.She's a female!!!!!! :dancingp::nahnah:

Page : 1 2