Yoked equally
Posted : 30 Apr, 2010 05:32 PM

Is this important to you?

InHisHonor

View Profile
History
Yoked equally
Posted : 30 Apr, 2010 06:23 PM

It's very important. I will not marry a non-Christian.

2 Corinthians 6:14

Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers; for what fellowship does righteousness have with lawlessness? And what partnership does light have with darkness?

View Profile
History
Yoked equally
Posted : 30 Apr, 2010 06:26 PM

I agree - it's scriptural.

What about being equally yoked "spritually"?

View Profile
History
Yoked equally
Posted : 30 Apr, 2010 07:21 PM

If you are not both thirsting and hungering after rightouseness, it will not be a god thing.

InHisHonor

View Profile
History
Yoked equally
Posted : 30 Apr, 2010 07:24 PM

The problem you run into there is that now you have to decide who is a "good" or "better" Christian and who isn't. One person may have a better understanding of certain things in the Bible but that doesn't mean they are better. Even the "lesser" one, thought they don't have the same grasp, is as saved as the other.

Where in the Bible does it talk about being unequally yoked with another Christian?

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Yoked equally
Posted : 30 Apr, 2010 07:28 PM

Being equally yoked is important to me. I would never consider marrying (or for that matter, dating) a non-believer.

Equally yoked spiritually...meaning having similar beliefs even though both may be Christians?

I think it's important. Personally, if I were married, I would want my husband to be the spiritual leader of the family. If he had beliefs that were very different from mine, I would have a hard time following him. Now that's not to say that we would have to agree 100% of the time. But most of our beliefs should be the same, and particularly the "big" and "important" ones. Another thing to think about is this: what would kids be taught if the parents disagreed? Would they be taught two different things depending on who was doing the teaching? Or would one parent have to agree to NOT teach the children his/her beliefs, even though that parent felt he/she was in the right?

This is one of the primary reasons that I look closely at denomination. I know that may not always be an accurate indicator of a person's beliefs, but it's a good place to start!

View Profile
History
Yoked equally
Posted : 30 Apr, 2010 07:30 PM

Ok I'll take it further - a seasoned Christian and a babe in Christ.....a good match?

InHisHonor

View Profile
History
Yoked equally
Posted : 30 Apr, 2010 08:03 PM

If you were saying that unequally yoked meant different denominations then it can be problematic in a relationship. Personally I'm non-denominational with leanings towards Baptist teachings, I can't see myself being with someone that is Pentecostal.

As far as a seasoned Christian and new Christian then I stand by my above post. One can learn from the other.

View Profile
History
Yoked equally
Posted : 30 Apr, 2010 08:24 PM

Ok InHishonour, what about the male being the "head of the house" - do you think it is important for the husband to be the one that is the seasoned Christian?

Or, this shouldn't matter?

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Yoked equally
Posted : 30 Apr, 2010 08:41 PM

I think that as far as a seasoned Christian being yoked with a new Christian goes, it doesn't matter that much. It also doesn't matter whether it is the man or woman who is seasoned. What DOES matter is that the new Christian be eager to learn, steadfast in his/her faith, and show progress toward becoming a seasoned Christian. I think it might be "easier" if the seasoned Christian is the man, as he may be the more natural leader in the relationship; but that's just my opinion.

Here's something else to consider too...I've met new Christians (as in, saved only a few years) who were more mature in their faith than seasoned Christians (saved for many, many years). So sometimes the new Christian might actually be doing the encouraging and leading in a relationship. Interesting, huh?

InHisHonor

View Profile
History
Yoked equally
Posted : 30 Apr, 2010 08:42 PM

Yes it would be preferable that the husband be the spiritual leader in the household.

On that note there will be times when the wife will know more than the husband. During these times a wife should not stop growing spiritually if the husband does stop for a season. She may want to encourage her husband in learning something through her nurturing nature. Men are sometimes easy to be discourage when they see that their wife knows more about a subject so a little of her gentle nature will help here.

Page : 1 2 3 4