Author Thread: Dealing with desire...
stormcountry33

View Profile
History
Dealing with desire...
Posted : 4 Jul, 2010 03:02 AM

Many of you know this through other post have made...I have been single my whole life and believe in remaining pure until marriage...however I struggle a lot with sexual desires. Looking at young women (women my age) in inappropriate ways and negative thoughts that enter my head. There is no doubt that my lonliness often feels like a prison to me. How can I deal with this negatvity. I don't really want to post this, but I feel I'll get honest feedback and from people that I don't have to physically face. Please help me....(I hope no one thinks bad of me...) God bless all of you!!

friend1o1

View Profile
History
Dealing with desire...
Posted : 3 May, 2011 11:04 AM

Great posts, caitiealli^ , jovi_loves_Jesus and cowgirl1984 . I also agree with PreciousGirl, resist wrong thoughts and they will flee. There might be a better scripture to make the following point but I think this instruction found in 1 Tim 5 also applies to how we as men should view women, not as objects to fulfill our desires but with respect and concern, as we would our own mothers and daughters: 1 Timothy 5 Treatment of Church Members �1 Do not rebuke an older man, but exhort him as a father, younger men as brothers, 2 older women as mothers, younger women as sisters, with all purity.� I don�t see any implication that we should treat non-Christian women any differently than we should Christian women in this regard. For those of you, like me, who believe the story of Job wasn�t fictional, remember, he made a covenant with his eyes and stuck to it. So can we.

righteousfire

View Profile
History
Dealing with desire...
Posted : 19 Oct, 2011 12:13 PM

We are all tempted and fall short of God's glory.

BUT, there is a way

Live intentionally with a great deal of prayer.

Decide how you want to live, how you want to think. Satan knows that if you capture the mind, you capture the person. Jesus himself used scripture to ward off Satan. Get thee behind me!

God bless and you are to be comended for your honesty and courage!

View Profile
History
Dealing with desire...
Posted : 22 Jun, 2012 10:11 AM

Hi Storm!

Wow!! You have lots of great instruction. It took me years of church to get that,lol. Nice to see there are plenty of mentors out there.

I wanted to add my two cents for what it's worth from a Christian womans perspective. I believe that when you sleep with someone you are creating a bond that goes much deeper than just physical,but you are soul bonding. And women get more emotionally bonded than men most of the time. Plus we want our men to be our Champion and Protectors. We trust you with our hearts. Most women that dress with body parts out for show are usually looking for attention they don't get elsewhere and need concern and compassion from the Father just like the rest of us.

I was married for 10 years and divorced for 13. It's not easy being celibate all these years. But I know there's an enemy that want's to steal my joy, kill my desire for God and destroy my life. But I also know that I need to "Be wise as serpents�and harmless as doves." Matthew 10:16 that means to me that I need to KNOW my enemies strategy and the harmless part , again to me, is to avert my eyes, avoid certain situations and walk in the Grace that was given at the Cross thru Jesus. And Grace always includes thankfulness and is a POWERFUL tool. Know that you can never be strong enough to resist on your own, but that Jesus is always there to pull on and loves you (even if you have to ask Him to take away untimely thoughts a 1000 a day!) ALWAYS. The Bible says "Do not awaken love before it's time". I take that to heart. It's my protection from the GodFather.

And you might want to try a study on conviction vs condemnation so you know the enemy's voice vs the Real thing, God's voice :boxing:

God bless!

View Profile
History
Dealing with desire...
Posted : 22 Jun, 2012 10:17 AM

Just saw how long ago this post was, Hahaha. **sigh. Oh well, hopefully it will help someone else and if you ever see this, CONGRATS Storm! Oy vey...

DelightingintheLord

View Profile
History
Dealing with desire...
Posted : 30 Jun, 2013 04:52 AM

I've never posted previously but want to encourage you here regarding your desires. It's easy for us to quote God's word as a quick solution and dismiss the intensity of temptation. I hope I do not do that here. I am reminded that our Lord Jesus was tempted in all ways as we are without sin and as children of God, the power of sin is broken in us, yet we sin. Temptation is not a sin; what we do with temptation can become sin. I enjoy a quote by Martin Luther that says something like: we cannot keep the birds from flying over our head, but we can keep them from building a nest in our hair. One thing I am learning about desire is that God meant our desires for our good and to glorify Him in them. As we delight ourselves in the Lord, he will give us the desires of our heart. I don't think that means that he will give me a husband if I delight myself in him; rather, as I delight in him, the Lord gives me the desires he places in my heart. A desire to love God and love others is God's highest commandment. As God presses those desires into my heart, the temptations to fulfill my own lusts diminish with intentionality to focus on God's love. The desire for intimacy...to be known and to know another...to love and be loved...well, that's really what God created us to experience with him. Yes...it is wonderful to enjoy a level of intimacy with another human...even as I once had in 15 years of marriage...but that love is only a foretaste of what our Father intends us to experience with him. Rambling now...so I will close (soon). My prayer for you is for Father to fill you with his love to overflowing that your focus will be on pouring out his love, rather than needing love from others. It's a daily battle for me...one that continues to remind me where my focus of worship is...on the loving God...or on myself. It's good that we have been afflicted, as David wrote, in order to cry out and cling to God...even as Joseph did when he ran from his accuser who desired adultery with him. Be encouraged. Our Father knows what you are experiencing and loves you beyond our highest understanding of love.

Page : 1 2 3