Author Thread: "Sister"hood
Admin

"Sister"hood
Posted : 11 Aug, 2010 02:53 PM

Can I get some opinions, please? Am I really the only one who feels uncomfortable and sometimes upset when a man calls me "sister" even tho i'm not interested in him otherwise anyway?

chakal

View Profile
History
"Sister"hood
Posted : 21 Aug, 2010 10:35 AM

It depends on the culture, in mine if a man say to a woman sister it is a way of respect, and to express in an indirect way that his feeling for her are pure (and not sexually attracted to her) like his sister... well, and who don't want that?

Arthlyna

View Profile
History
"Sister"hood
Posted : 27 Aug, 2010 04:32 AM

I do agree with you :)

SilverFire

View Profile
History
"Sister"hood
Posted : 1 Sep, 2010 04:34 AM

I didn't think "sister" indicated any dating interest at all; it's a term for a female who is in Christ, as in "brothers and sisters in the Lord". This is the first that I've heard of it being an indication of attraction!

View Profile
History
"Sister"hood
Posted : 1 Sep, 2010 11:48 PM

I understand where you're coming from, Joy, but I really started to like being called "sister" or "sis." Granted, I have a boyfriend so there's not the let-down when a guy calls me that. And if my bf started calling me that, I'd start to wonder... To me, though, it's just an affectionate thing, and I like affection =) I'm one of those starved for affection types. LOL.

View Profile
History
"Sister"hood
Posted : 22 Sep, 2010 08:11 AM

Thx arthlyna. silverfire, NOT a term for dateability -but NON-dateability.

Now-when i KNOW a man and all of his feelings about many things and belief systems are quite clear -i have NO problem with any of it. Im saying asa stranger: i find no affection -justa distant general (HI-PERSON WHO BELIEVES IN CHRIST AS I DO) greeting. nothing special -like saying HI-NUMBER 6,748TH CHRISTIAN I WORSHIP WITH IN SPIRIT FROM AFAR BUT NO USE GETTING TO KNOW. love is up close and personal -the general thot duznt mean much to me -thats all

when im trying to maka connection with someone -and they back into "hi sister" -i feel demoted ona connection level -NOT in respect. keeping sister/brotherhood in its proper place (spiritual, not romantic) -i can fully appreciate it.

Please wonderful men: call me your sister AFTER we become familiar, not while we're strangers. sister is special to me -and not meant to confuse relationship purposes. thanks for helping me out here.

yes -I DO realize that my relationship background is different which causes me to see these things the way i do -so it isnt a right/wrong kind of issue.

I love ALL the men (because of how God honors them), but Im waiting for a man who doesnt treat me like his sister. Thats a man I can get closer to.

View Profile
History
"Sister"hood
Posted : 20 Oct, 2010 07:23 PM

I would openly address anyone on this site as bro or sis as long as I can see clear dedication to Jesus. Family in Christ, or in the body of Christ.

If God is putting something on my heart, and referring to me as His child.. it's doesn't insult me or offend me. It makes me feel welcomed with open arms.

On the internet it's easy to misinterpret some people.

Smile though.. you've got Jesus! :waving:

View Profile
History
"Sister"hood
Posted : 2 Feb, 2011 10:21 AM

i enjoy men Im NOT attracted to calling me "sister" -b/c I feel like I got a "consolation prize" for not being attracted to him -and he will still think purely of me and give me my place.

but when men call me "sister" and im trying to go deeper than ONLY spiritual into a relationship with him -i feel that he is rejecting the rest to keep me in a 1-dimensional view and i think i resent it.

i am a godly woman and LOVE to do things the way God instructs us in His Word. But -if Im dating or wishing to date a man and he insists on calling me "sister" -i feel a little uncomfortable. -as Chakal said above -culturally, sisterly love is ANTI-sexual and UNromantic and gives the connotation of something incestuous or just WRONG. it duznt "feel" right when a romantic interest uses "sister" on me. i GET the spiritual TRUTH behind it -but, is it necessary for him to call me sister more often than girlfriend? i know i shouldnt, but still feel that it undermines me and our relationship.

THERE! thats the psychological evaluation I was trying NOT to get into. -but, im finding it makes more sense if i explain it.

Page : 1 2