Author Thread: The hardest part of every day
NicoleMarieG

View Profile
History
The hardest part of every day
Posted : 7 Oct, 2010 12:54 PM

I recently moved to a more secluded area of North Carolina. I am interning on an organic farm for the next nine months. Which is actually quite a bit of time for me! I shift around a lot.

The hard part is not having a local Friend's Meeting House. Every Sunday, I watch as others go to their Church of choice. They are find comfort in the familiar. Comfort in their faith. Comfort in the structure. Comfort in the overwhelming sense of stability.

I miss going to Meeting. I miss the feeling of community. I miss silent worship. I miss meeting new Friends. I am aching for unprogrammed worship. I miss the kindness of Friends. The feeling of comfort and safety.

People say to just go to another Church. That Christianity is Christianity and that not going to Church on Sunday is sinful. That I should swallow my pride. But its not that easy. And I don't see this as a pride issue. How do I explain the loneliness I feel at other Churches? I mean, I could go to Catholic mass and be able to follow along. I went to Catholic high school and all. But...its just not the same.

I know I am being silly. I do. That this shouldn't be such a big deal. But I find myself crying. Alone. I worship on Sundays. I do. I devote time to worship. But I just miss going and being at Meeting.

Does that make sense? Am I really being dumb? I just feel so alone sometimes.

=[ Help?

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Oct, 2010 02:07 PM

I can produce scriptures to support the following if you like.

Scripture states that God chooses the times and places which people live. Scripture also says that there is a time for everything.

In light of this, I would say that God has chosen this at this time for your benefit. Do not miss out on this great gift, be bold and do not shrink back from dicovering what God has for you.

Attitude is everything!

cowgirl1984

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Oct, 2010 12:57 AM

You are not being dumb at all, and I know what you're going through. Finding a new church is discouraging, frustrating, and at the very best daunting. For one thing, it's only once a week, and going to a church for one service isn't always enough to tell whether it's a good one. In one month, you could make it to four churches, but that would only be one service at each, and it's impossible to get a read in that little time. And even if you do find a church you like, it's very difficult at most churches to actually meet people. Plus, finding single Christians over the age of 18 is nearly impossible these days LOL. It's a really hard thing. Unfortunately where I live, I couldn't find anything nearby, but maybe do a google search for Christian singles groups near you? Sometimes they have groups that do fun things on weekends, like hiking or whatever. I'm not sure what all they do, but those groups exist. Just not where I live, lol. But it's worth a search!

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Oct, 2010 01:55 AM

Yes, that makes sense, Nicole, and you're not being dumb at all. I'm struggling w/ finding a church home right now too. It's important to be in a church where you are comfortable and whose beliefs you agree with. One of the big reasons for church is fellowship with like-minded believers. We need each other so that we can remain encouraged, hold each other accountable, and do ministry together. And I don't think that necessarily has to happen w/in the context of a Sunday morning service specifically. So don't beat yourself up over not going to a church on Sunday!

I will be praying that God will give you a special dose of encouragement during this time, that you'll rely on Him for the fulfillment of all your needs, and that you'll be able to find a church home.

hubbarddebra99

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Oct, 2010 11:06 AM

NicoleMarie,

Oh sweetie, i am sorry you feel lonely! it hard when you are used to a certain "style" of worship, and can't find it in your area.

You said about Meetings and Friends, would I be right to assume you are what is comonly known as "Quaker"?

If so, they are not usally listed in churches in the yellow pages. I don't know where in NC you are, but in my NC town the Freinds meet at a Woman's center on Saturday morns. You could call the woman's centers, or Chamber of Commerse in your town to find Quaker Friends meeting.

I had a good friend who is Bahi, and this is how he found a place to worship.

Hope this helps!