Author Thread: drinking alcohol and buying alcohol for people
Admin

drinking alcohol and buying alcohol for people
Posted : 23 Oct, 2010 02:51 PM

Someone mentioned in an earlier thread about some down-on-his-luck guy who was bumming for money; the guy admitted he was going to buy beer with any money given to him, so he (twosparrows, whom I asked if I could use his story) bought him two beers and went and talked with the guy and the girlfriend about Jesus.

I liked this - it shows that the bumdude wasn't being condemned over a beer, plus he was told the Good News.

I must say - I've always been under the impression that to drink alcohol, or buy others alcohol, was like saying it's ok to drink alcohol, and that was wasn't what a "good Christian" should do. Is this just a blown-out-of-proportion tradition/ideal? Up to personal conviction? I think there's some scripture on not drinking to get drunk - but what other reason is there for drinking alcohol? And what about Jesus making water to wine for the Cana wedding?

Mercymay

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Nov, 2010 05:07 AM

First, I admire twosparrows� seeding activity, more power to you!

I think his buying some alcohol for the bum is for getting honest as a start. Not that 2sparrows support alcohol but the bum have to end his drinking in his own will� when he gets enlightened and be drunk with God instead. We cannot force other people to change their ways, we can only change our own ways.

I think it is ok to drink on occasions but a Christian should not be a drunkard.

Tulip89

View Profile
History
Posted : 2 Nov, 2010 03:30 PM

I grew up in an area where my neighbor thought we weren't Christians because my parents had wine in our house, where I was told in DARE that my parents would become alcoholics from one glass of wine with dinner a couple nights a week, and where other neighbors had my mom buy wine for them because they wanted to cook with it, but were too scared their friends would see them purchasing alcohol. All that seemed to line up a whole lot more with the Pharisees' behavior than Jesus or Paul's. Heck, Paul told Timothy to drink wine at one point.

You don't get drunk off of a drink or two. You just don't. (Ok, 5'0" 85 lb. girls might, but they aren't real people to begin with.) Should you go straight from your 21st birthday to St. Bernardus Abt 12? Of course not. But if you're having homemade spaghetti, a glass of wine tastes quite good with it. In the fall, Leinenkugel makes a great Oktoberfest for hanging out with friends. If you drink it because it's a tasty drink, what's the big deal? I mean, even if the alcohol has a small effect, the caffeine in Coke or sweet tea does too.

We have this stigma that being seen drinking alcohol is inherently bad. Is going to a night club and grinding with someone of the opposite sex while knocking back Jaeger bombs wrong? Absolutely. I can't imagine a scenario in which it wouldn't. But should we be worried about splitting a pitcher with coworkers after work, just on the assumption that "Christians don't drink"? No, that's ridiculous.

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 Nov, 2010 04:28 PM

This is why I say america's brand of Christianity is in the proverbial dumper. Isa 28:7 But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment. That's the verse for the "Christian" drinker

NOWHERE does it say Jesus turned water into alcoholic wine. All thru the Bible it mentions wine that's ok (fruit of the vine) and alcoholic wine that's not ok.

Pr 23:29-32 Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes? They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine. Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright. At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.--This is the fermentation process, & it says to not even look at it, much less ingest it.

The b.a.c. laws of .08 doesn't mean your mind automatically gets altered once your blood alcohol hits .08. Your mind is being altered all the way up to .08. Is God fine w/ you altering your mind? American Christianity says "YES!" 1Pet 4:7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.

The world is watching Christians to see if they're "real." 1Th 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil. This verse should answer any questions.

Pr 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.--"Christian" drinkers are obviously deceived by this devilish elixor, & are thereby not wise.

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Nov, 2010 02:38 PM

My dear friends as I grew up I only remember 2 times my dad has beer in the house.As a Christian I would drink a Pepsi when I minnister to someone. I never drink alcholic bevs. I just was not raised that way In no way do I cindem those who have a rare drink.Dennis :peace:

Tulip89

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Nov, 2010 05:44 PM

Trying to convince yourself that it's non-alcoholic wine is adding what you want to read into the Bible. It's ridiculous for you to pretend that it was anything other than alcoholic wine.

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Nov, 2010 09:23 PM

Mal 3:6a For I am the LORD, I change not--He already told you what He thought of alcohol. I gave those verses to you. Ignore them at your own peril, but you giving your blessings and encouragement to those who partake in booze, & you'll give an account for that.

Jer 6:16 Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.

There's the difference between modern american "Christianity" and the old paths.

Way to be a stumbling block to the seeker of salvation.

hubbarddebra99

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Nov, 2010 02:03 PM

twosparows,

you are a sweeter old cowboy than you seem to want people to know! GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and HE is!)

Debby

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Dec, 2010 09:05 PM

I do not believe in drinking alchohol at all. I think before people knew to sanitize/purify water they didn't drink water because it would kill them so they drank alchohol. In this day and age, we know about clean water and it is available. Alchohol is a mocker of a person and is responsible for destroying families and lives. I believe it is wrong.

Page : 1 2 3