Author Thread: Ever been "set up" by friends?
bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Ever been "set up" by friends?
Posted : 8 Nov, 2010 07:03 PM

Have any of you ever been "set up" by friends? How did they do it? Did you appreciate it? How did the other person feel about being set up? How did it turn out?

I'd never been "set up" until yesterday. A couple people had tried, but their plans always backfired before I ever even met the guy in question. But last night, I ended up meeting a guy through a mutual friend...it was definitely a "set up," and both of us knew it in advance. Of course we were a little nervous, but since we were in a group of friends, it wasn't awkward. It turned out that he was really nice, pleasant to talk to, and actually a little shy...though not horribly so.

To my surprise, the guy got my phone number and called me later in the evening to ask me if I'd like to get together sometime so we could get to know each other better...the group setting hadn't been conducive to really good conversation. I liked what I saw of him, so I said sure.

I guess we'll see what comes of this "set up". I'm not getting my hopes up. There is still WAY too much to learn about each other.

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Nov, 2010 09:31 PM

That sounds terrific, Pianogal. :applause: Let us know how it turns out.

I have been "fixed up" once -- and it was a BIG mistake. The guy turned out to already have a girlfriend, he was a total mama's boy (he admitted it) and he was cheap, cheap, cheap! My friend apologized to me later LOL

1desire

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Nov, 2010 11:29 AM

Wow!! Hope all goes well!! =D

Tulip89

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Nov, 2010 11:30 AM

My roommate set me up with one of his fiancee's sorority sisters to be her date to semiformal. I think that counts.

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Nov, 2010 12:20 PM

:excited:...Prayin for the Best for you BcGal...Keep us posted...I myself have never been setup for a meeting or date...at lest not that I know of...:rolleyes:...xo

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Nov, 2010 12:39 PM

It really depends on how much effort your friends put into it. If the criteria they used was "Hey, she's single and he's single. They'ed be perfect for each other!", then I would run away. If they know both of you, and know that you have similar interest, then it might work out.

I personally have put two couples together, and they both got married, so it can work out.

My personal opinion about meeting someone, how you meet is completely irrelevant. That only happens once in your life and has no affect whatsoever on the rest of your relationship. It is how you build your relationship that matters.

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Nov, 2010 10:05 PM

That sounds promising, pianogal! I'm excited for you =)

I've never been set up, but my parents were set up my mutual friends of the family. It was an older couple and they invited my dad and mom over for dinner as a sort of chaperoned blind date. My parents started dating after that and were engaged after 1 month. They've been married for 35 years.

So, who knows... this could go very well and you could have a ring by Christmas!!

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Nov, 2010 06:29 AM

Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone, but y'all don't start planning my wedding yet! I've not even heard from the guy again!

He's out of town a lot with his job, and he told me up front that it could be a few weeks at least before he's back in town for any length of time. By the time he gets back, he'll have had plenty of time to change his mind about wanting to get to know me.

My parents were "set up" by my mom's sister and brother-in-law (my aunt and uncle). My uncle worked with my dad, and said that he was a good Christian...which meant (to my uncle) that he and my mom would get along well. So my aunt and uncle invited my dad over for supper while my mom was in town visiting them for a week. He always said that he nearly turned around and went home that day instead of actually going over there for supper, because he couldn't believe that this girl would be any different from any of the others that he'd met. But she was, and they were married less than a year after they met. They stayed married until his death 14 years later.

I guess being set up has its good points and its bad points. I'm always very wary of it, but it CAN work. I suspect that most people end up marrying someone that they were either directly or indirectly set up with.

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Nov, 2010 01:10 PM

I was set up once. My friend kept telling me about this girl who was single and very nice. Eventually I caved in and agreed to meet her for lunch. She was nice, and lunch was rather awkward. I think she's married now, as has been my luck with going on dates. I'm like a good luck charm, as two girls I've gone on dates with are now married, and the third was engaged at one point (she's now in the Marines, so a shout-out to her since today is Veteran's Day).

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Nov, 2010 11:10 PM

Congratulations, BC! Hope to hear some gud news :goofball:

I've been set up by friends a couple of times but none of them worked out =(

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Nov, 2010 11:33 AM

nope, but yall feel free to hook me up.

Page : 1 2