Author Thread: Ever been "set up" by friends?
bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Ever been "set up" by friends?
Posted : 8 Nov, 2010 07:03 PM

Have any of you ever been "set up" by friends? How did they do it? Did you appreciate it? How did the other person feel about being set up? How did it turn out?

I'd never been "set up" until yesterday. A couple people had tried, but their plans always backfired before I ever even met the guy in question. But last night, I ended up meeting a guy through a mutual friend...it was definitely a "set up," and both of us knew it in advance. Of course we were a little nervous, but since we were in a group of friends, it wasn't awkward. It turned out that he was really nice, pleasant to talk to, and actually a little shy...though not horribly so.

To my surprise, the guy got my phone number and called me later in the evening to ask me if I'd like to get together sometime so we could get to know each other better...the group setting hadn't been conducive to really good conversation. I liked what I saw of him, so I said sure.

I guess we'll see what comes of this "set up". I'm not getting my hopes up. There is still WAY too much to learn about each other.

Elisa

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Nov, 2010 08:47 AM

It has happened to me twice. The first time, sure am glad I wore comfortable shoes because the eight mile walk home would have been miserable otherwise.

The second, well, 25 years later we are still friends. So, wishing you the best Pianogal.

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Nov, 2010 03:06 AM

Good for you, pianogal! Wishing you the best.

I haven't been set up by friends but my daughter tried to set me up with a friend of her husband's. He was a nice guy. Rather quiet and shy. But he was still pining for his ex-wife. We met, we talked on the phone a few times. I found out recently that he and his ex have reunited. That's good thing!

Although my children are very supportive of me in dating and hoping to find the right man for myself, I've asked them not to set me up again. LOL :laugh:

UNC2011

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Dec, 2010 02:36 PM

It's really the only way I meet people. My job isn't really condusive to meeting girls. I work at UPS and that's just not a place girls are going to work unless it's an office job and I don't run into them. I go to a small church in Greensboro, NC and although I love it it's doesn't have any Christian single girls I'm interested in. We also don't get a lot of visitors so I can't really meet people through my church.

I'm having to rely on my friends keeping an eye open for me and have even told them if they see someone they think I'm interested in, put a good word in for me and introduce us. I've also joined a lot of dating sites hoping the Lord will use one of these avenues to allow me to meet someone.

I've gone on dates where I've been set up in the past but nothing has ever really transpired unfortunately. I'm still looking and hoping I meet that special someone some day.

Tulip89

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Dec, 2010 04:42 PM

As an update (in the event anyone was wondering), the semiformal date I was set up with turned out not to be very outgoing and somewhat awkward. This is just further proof that beauty does not negate a need for personality.

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Dec, 2010 07:10 PM

I guess I can give an update on my set-up guy too... I sent the guy a "Hi, hope you're doing well" message on Facebook about 2 weeks ago. He replied fairly quickly (within a couple hours), and said that he was going out of town for a week, but would be back the weekend after Thanksgiving and he'd definitely be calling me after that. I haven't heard from him again. And I don't really expect to. It was a nice thought, though, that he might be interested in getting to know me...I just wish he'd actually been interested.

Tulip89

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Dec, 2010 07:19 PM

I know it sucks, but just remember that in a sense, it didn't work out for you because he wasn't good enough for you.

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Dec, 2010 07:37 PM

Yeah, I know. A small part of me still hopes he'll call, because he did seem like a really nice guy -- the type of guy that I could be interested in dating. But unless I'm mistaken, if a guy is really interested in a girl, he probably wouldn't wait too long to call her. That's why I really don't think I'll hear from him again. And that's ok. There must be someone even better out there somewhere!

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Dec, 2010 10:22 AM

Tulip and BC, it's nice to "hear" updates from you two.

I'm sorry that things seem to not be working out with that guy, BC =( Tulip is right, though, it means he's not good enough for you. Your future hubby will be amazing because you're amazing =)

Tulip89

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Dec, 2010 11:36 AM

I kind of wish more people would post updates about good dates they had, etc. We all need encouragement, even if it comes in the form of hearing that others are doing well.

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Dec, 2010 02:15 PM

So...guess who I heard from yesterday? Yep. Mr. Missing-in-Action himself. He didn't call, but he did initiate a FB chat that lasted for a whole 5 minutes. lol

I don't know what will happen in this situation, but I'm going to just see how things play out. Either he will disappear again, or he's telling me the truth that he's been busy with work and will make a real effort once things slow down.

Page : 1 2