Author Thread: Tradtional Hyms,Vintage Good Ol' Gospel Music(40s-90's)& Mordern(Contemorary)Gospel music of today.Which to you is better?
Admin

Tradtional Hyms,Vintage Good Ol' Gospel Music(40s-90's)& Mordern(Contemorary)Gospel music of today.Which to you is better?
Posted : 29 Nov, 2010 03:36 AM

Even before i started going to church,listen to gospel music before i then know about it.My very first gospel group iv'e heard about was The Grace Thrillers,from my neighbouring country, Jamaica around the early age of 4 with an album called"Crown Him" which was owned on tape by my father in the earlier 90s before he left me & my mother & i now currently have the very same album which i have on cd years later.When i was later around the young age of 11,my mum (who's not a Christian) have then expose me to all kinds of music from calypso to reggae to rock n' roll (Elvis,Air suply-Queen) & country etc .But she have a strong,STRONG LOVE for oldie goldies/doo wop music which is old country & rock music.So when she first brought home this gospel tape with the a side "Did you think to pray" by Charlie Pride & the b side "We thank thee" by Jim Reeves around the year 2000, i was hooked! i could'nt stopped playing it even though i did'nt know it was gospel music! Then years later in my teens,i heard of Carman (who i have 6 albums),Kirk Franklin,Steve Curtis Chapman who sadly lost his daughter at his house,Shirley Ceasar,Amy Grant (i LOVE "El Sha Di")!,The orininal 60s-70s group The Imperials,Andrea Crouch & many others.I also love Hyms like "Stand Up For Jesus","Softly & Tenderly"."Blessed Assurance","Sweet Hour Of Prayer & others.I like to hear todays gospel music also,but there's a problem for me with that-MOST OF THEM I CAN't TELL IF they're GOSPEL OR SECULAR! (e.g The Washington Projects, Kirk Franlin, Canton Jones,Sixpence None The Richer Espesally with the song "Kiss Me'',John Ruben,Avlon with ''Can't Live A Day Without You" which they edit & put in lyrics with Jesus sometime later in 2000 but i first heard it then as a slow jam & Mary Mary & todays gospel reggae the singers most of the time say "Jah",but Rastafarians say the same thing).When i hear them on secluar radio stations back then,i definatley could'nt tell the difference! & my family always say you should since they do'nt go to church with me. So my questions are: 1 what is your favrourite type of gospel music,group song etc. 2:If you only like Contempary gospel,why that only? since most of you say that the old gospel is like"old" & we've got to catch up with the old times?

View Profile
History
Tradtional Hyms,Vintage Good Ol' Gospel Music(40s-90's)& Mordern(Contemorary)Gospel music of today.Which to you is better?
Posted : 29 Nov, 2010 03:42 AM

I meant to say "To catch up with the new times".

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 Nov, 2010 01:42 PM

Personally, I love the old traditional hymns. I really feel like I can worship when I'm singing or playing them.

Gospel music mostly grates on my nerves, but a little Southern Gospel can be enjoyable if it's done well. I like some of the older praise/worship choruses, too...not sure what category they fall into.

Contemporary Christian music is really not my cup of tea. I don't mind listening to it once in a while, and sometimes I'll even choose to listen to it, but I never feel worshipful when I hear it in church. Perhaps it's a problem of mine, and perhaps I'm wrong in that feeling, but I rarely enjoy hearing a praise team pounding out the same few chords over and over while screaming out a tuneless chant. Sometimes the words make very little sense or are really shallow. Sometimes they would fit better in a secular context. Some secular songs are more worshipful, in my opinion. If I can't tell the different in a christian song and a secular song, something is wrong somewhere.

That's just my 2 cents worth, though. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion.

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 Nov, 2010 03:29 PM

To: BCPIANOGAL,Agreed with everything you've said there! To me,the songs "Love lift us up where we belong,"Desidera" (you are achild of the universe),Bill Withers' "Lean on me","Heal the world","Like a bridge over troubled waters",Stevie Wonders' "My love" with Julio Igneles,Fantasias' "I Belive","You are the wing beneath my wings" & many others,have more stronger lyrics than most modern gospel songs (& i pesonally do'nt think these songs should be sing in church to "praise God with")All it looks like to me,is like they're mostly interested in being on the "Billboard Top Ten" & having "Non-Christians fans" than anything else.(i also forgot to mention the gospel-rock band "Stryper" with album "To Hell with the Devil" who i've seen on a love songs compiled cd earlier).But as you said,everyone have different taste & veiws on music!

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 Nov, 2010 06:23 PM

It's true that we are all different in our tastes so I try hard not to throw anything out just because I don't like it.

I have been on many praise teams and really got tired of the "clone" music that so many churches seem to be all trendy about. On the other hand, I do appreciate a lot of Hillsong and Vineyard music that brought me into a praise or worship mode.

My favorite is hymns done Selah style which is how I sing them~with soul and passion. Selah has an anointing that makes a big difference when singing them. The stories behind the hymns inspires me so much and reminds me that children of God do suffer and a lot some times.

I also love a lot of Gaither homecoming music like: The Isaacs, David Phelps, Guy Penrod, Michael English, the Hoppers, Vestal Goodman, Sheri Easter, Jessie Dixon, Russ Taff, Karen Wheaton, the Martins, the Katinas, Dottie Rambo and many more.

I also love the old contemporary Christian music from the early 70s like Keith Green, Mylon Lefevre, Rich Mullins, Barry McGuire, Larry Norman, Chuck Girard, Randy Stonehill and many others from that era that greatly touched my life.

From today's music I do like Kirk Franklin, Fred Hammond, Mercy Me, Third Day, Nicole C. Mullins, Crystal Lewis, Broken Walls and Jason Upton.

I don't like too much country or opera style music. Thanks for sharing. :purpleangel:

riveroflife1

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 Nov, 2010 06:28 PM

I guess mine is more contemporary...dont really care for gospel maybe that's becuz I raised listening to it.

The old rugged cross is a beautiful song.

One of my favorites is "I see the Lord seated on the throne, exalted...and the train of His robe, fills the temple with glory"

I cannot remember the name, but it gets me every time.

I really love the Vineyard Worship, also Darlene Zchech and Israel and New Breed.

dont know if you have heard of Jesus Culture, but them too.

of course Fred Hammond :)

River

Tulip89

View Profile
History
Posted : 2 Dec, 2010 11:46 PM

As a songwriter, I very rarely like new songs. The lyrics are too often throw away Christian cliche after throw away Christian cliche. One of the most recent songs I give my stamp of approval to is "You Alone Can Rescue" by Matt Redman.

Acoustic updated hymns tend to be my go-to though, usually Red Mountain Church over Indelible Grace, but both get my approval.

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Dec, 2010 03:55 PM

Thanks guys! most of these things i might have to look up.

SnugglyBear

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Jan, 2011 08:12 AM

Thanks Joey .. lots of good stuff that I will be looking into

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Jan, 2011 01:12 PM

Your also welcome Mr.S.Bear.That's why i've posted this before i'd left here.By the way,do you have any favourite artists?