Author Thread: Gideon's Fleece
Admin

Gideon's Fleece
Posted : 3 Dec, 2010 06:24 AM

Judges 6: 36-40

Even 'tho God had already told Gideon He would save Israel by his hand,Gideon still layed out his fleece.

Do you think it's right or wrong for Christians today to ask God for a sign?

God Bless,

Deborah

View Profile
History
Gideon's Fleece
Posted : 3 Dec, 2010 06:40 AM

Well, I think it's a heart issue. If it's a case where you've already received an answer (or instructions, etc.) from God but you're hoping that you misheard him, then you're in sin. Something that Christians around here like to do (and keep in mind that I live near Seattle where it's cloudy and rainy A LOT) is to ask for weather signs. Example: "God, I know you told me to go witness to my neighbour, but I'm not 100% sure that I heard you right. So, if you didn't really mean what I might have heard, then let it rain tomorrow." People especially like to ask for the rain sign when it's been raining nearly every day for the past several weeks and there's no sign that the forecast will soon change. A variant of that is saying that God's words are null and void if you see a cloud in the sky... and it's a rare day around here that there ISN'T a cloud in the sky!

So, I suppose it comes down to this: Do you mistrust God or are you looking for an excuse to not obey? Or, do you genuinely need clarity and are seeking wisdom and discernment?

riveroflife1

View Profile
History
Gideon's Fleece
Posted : 3 Dec, 2010 06:46 AM

Deborah it is NOT wrong to ask God for a sign. He's approachable, he's not a mean Father. He knows the heart of His children...I'm pretty sure if we are all honest with ourselves, we all ask Him for confirmation on things.

Look what He did with Gideon...powerful!

View Profile
History
Gideon's Fleece
Posted : 3 Dec, 2010 07:55 AM

If you are a christian it is wrong! Why would you ask for a sign when all of the Godhead lives inside of you?

View Profile
History
Gideon's Fleece
Posted : 3 Dec, 2010 09:15 AM

Here is a great example of the types of things I struggle with, or at least in the answers provided.

Here is a concept that we as Christians want to use. "God please talk to me directly I need guidance, please show me a sign". Is this wrong? How do we even know what those signs are? How do we even interpret those signs?

Yet the first three answers reflect all three possible answers. It is sometimes wrong, it is never wrong, it is always wrong. If Christians can't even agree on whether or not it is ok to ask, how are we even supposed to know how identify the signs and then interpret them?

View Profile
History
Gideon's Fleece
Posted : 3 Dec, 2010 10:31 AM

LOL!.......three possible answers and you actually have four!

Back in the day, (pre-new covenant) men asked for signs, it is all through the old testament. It was common religious practice to discern the will of God using the Urim and Thuim, basically the modern day equivalent of throwing dice. But now we have the promised Holy Spirit who dwells inside of us guiding us into all truth.

The answer. ?

If you feel you need a sign God will understand,

Psalm 103:14 ~ "For he knows how we are formed he remembers that we are dust"

But you should be trying to wean yourself of the milk of "signs"

Hebrews 5:13-14

" Anyone who lives on milk being still an infant is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themelves to distinguish good from evil."

Although our salvation is a done deal, but we 'practice' Christianity, that means we work at getting better. We work at hearing His voice.

John 10:4

"His sheep follow him because they know his voice"

In summary: Learning to hear His voice builds relationship, relying only on signs turns God in to a magic eight ball.......sometimes we feel we need a sign, God understands, but he also desires us to grow to hear his voice and when we can't we just need to trust. I think that is the kind of stuff that really makes him happy.

MargoSolo

View Profile
History
Gideon's Fleece
Posted : 3 Dec, 2010 10:35 AM

Great answer, TS :applause:

View Profile
History
Gideon's Fleece
Posted : 3 Dec, 2010 12:24 PM

@everyone:

Let us give heed to the Word of YHWH.

Mat 12:38 Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee.

Mat 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

Mat 16:1 The Pharisees also with the Sadducees came, and tempting desired him that he would shew them a sign from heaven.

Mat 16:2 He answered and said unto them, When it is evening, ye say, It will be fair weather: for the sky is red.

Mat 16:3 And in the morning, It will be foul weather to day: for the sky is red and lowring. O ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not discern the signs of the times?

Mat 16:4 A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas. And he left them, and departed.

Mat 16:5 And when his disciples were come to the other side, they had forgotten to take bread.

Mat 16:6 Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

Mar 8:12 And he sighed deeply in his spirit, and saith, Why doth this generation seek after a sign? verily I say unto you, There shall no sign be given unto this generation.

Luk 11:28 But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

Luk 11:29 And when the people were gathered thick together, he began to say, This is an evil generation: they seek a sign; and there shall no sign be given it, but the sign of Jonas the prophet.

riveroflife1

View Profile
History
Gideon's Fleece
Posted : 3 Dec, 2010 01:38 PM

Deborah- there is NOTHING wrong with asking for a sign.

We're human, yes we have the spirit of the Lord BUT we are human...prone to making mistakes.

We cannot live in that place of always second guessing the Lord, YES we need to learn to discern His voice but, asking confirmation is not wrong!

View Profile
History
Gideon's Fleece
Posted : 3 Dec, 2010 02:09 PM

Judges 6:36-40 (NJK) The Sign of the Fleece

36~ So Gideon said to God, �If You will save Israel by my hand as You have said�

*** Gideon had some doubt that GOD would do as said�

37~ look, I shall put a fleece of wool on the threshing floor; if there is dew on the fleece only, and it is dry on all the ground, then I shall know that You will save Israel by my hand, as You have said.�

*** Gideon asking for confirmation�

38~ And it was so. When he rose early the next morning and squeezed the fleece together, he wrung the dew out of the fleece, a bowlful of water.

39~ Then Gideon said to God, �Do not be angry with me, but let me speak just once more: Let me test, I pray, just once more with the fleece; let it now be dry only on the fleece, but on all the ground let there be dew.�

*** Gideon asking for a second confirmation�

40~ And God did so that night. It was dry on the fleece only, but there was dew on all the ground.

*** So GOD did what Gideon asked as to Affirm & Confirm HE is GOD�

As far as Right or Wrong to ask ?�It wasn�t for Gideon in this situation�:excited:...

I myself do not pray for Signs�I ask & receive confirmation of my prayer / request / petition through the WORD from the Lord Jesus...thats how I know without any doubt its from Him...xo

View Profile
History
Gideon's Fleece
Posted : 3 Dec, 2010 02:11 PM

@Deborah and river:

The just shall live by faith not by signs,miracles or wonders.

Has God not said it,and will He not do all that He has said,the way that He has said it in His word..

By the testimony of two or three shall a witness be established..

I have given to you The Word of YHWH,

1Co 1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

1Co 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

1Co 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

1Co 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:

1Co 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

1Co 1:24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

1Co 1:25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

1Co 1:26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:

1Co 1:27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

1Co 1:28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:

1Co 1:29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.

1Co 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

1Co 1:31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Will you Glory and testify of Yeshua,orglory and testify of miracles signs and wonders..

St.George

Page : 1 2 3