Author Thread: Babel Undone or Undue Babbling?
Admin

Babel Undone or Undue Babbling?
Posted : 7 Dec, 2010 10:13 AM

There is no reason to believe that the gift of tongues is anything other than the supernatural ability to speak in extant human languages that were previously unknown to the speaker. With the gift of tongues, we see Babel undone, not undue babbling.

For examples of this gift in action, see: Acts 2: 4, 10:46, 19:6

For other New Testament references to �tongues,� see: Mark 16:17; Acts 2:11; Acts 2:26; Romans 3:13; Romans 14:11; 1 Cor. 12:10; 1 Cor. 12:28; 1 Cor. 12:30; 1 Cor. 13:1; 1 Cor. 13:8; 1 Cor. 14:2; 1 Cor. 14:4-6; 1 Cor. 14:9; 1 Cor. 14:13-14; 1 Cor. 14:18-19; 1 Cor. 14:22-23; 1 Cor. 14:26-27; 1 Cor. 14:39; Philippians 2:11; James 1:26; James 3:5-6; James 3:8; 1 Peter 3:10; 1 John 3:18; Rev. 5:9; Rev. 7:9; Rev. 10:11; Rev. 11:9; Rev. 13:7; Rev. 14:6; Rev. 16:10; Rev. 17:15.

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Dec, 2010 04:49 PM

If it is a human language not known and was not learned through study, hands down from GOD!

riveroflife1

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Dec, 2010 06:12 PM

when the tongue is not understood by the speaker, but understood by an unbelieving bystander it is meant to be a sign of the Kingdom of God.(1 Cor 14:22; Acts 2:12)

tongues when used in public enables the church to function as a body. Different members are involved, one speaks, another interprets and another person is blessed through the interpretation.

the main use of tongues whether for public or private is edification (Jude20 & 21; 1 Cor 14:4 a, 5b)

tongues is always speaking to God and that the interpretation will be either praise or prayer addressed to Him.

tongues are used for praise, a love language when one is lost is wonder, love and praise and human words are inadequate or exhausted: We hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!" Acts 2:11

For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God Acts 10:46

definition by David Pytches "Ministering in Power"

spontaneous inspired utterance by the Holy Spirit, where the normal voice organs are used, but the concious mind plays no part. the languages spoken or sung are entirely unlearned by the speaker.

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Dec, 2010 07:56 PM

Godsjude,

I ain't skeerd to answer your question :

*There is three types tongues spoken of in scripture:

1) A foreign language from another nation given by the Holy Spirit. : Acts 2:5-12

2) A prayer language given by the Holy Spirit. : Rom 8:26

3) A tongue whose origin is questionable. : 1Cor14:28-29

*And two types of tongues not 'specifically' addressed

1) A tongue given by demonic influence. : 2Ths 2:9

2) A tongue manufactured by human effort. : 1 Cor 14:28-29

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 05:02 AM

twosparrows,

In response to your question a few posts back, I just believe that any time someone denies the power of God or gives Satan credit for something God has done grieves the Holy Spirit. God has given me the precious gift of divers kinds of tongues and it breaks my heart when people make fun or try to cause others to disbelieve something God has for them. It's a gift.

There is no way to intellectualize a spiritual Truth, and it seems like that's what's trying to be done here.

God Bless,

Deborah

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 06:14 AM

@ Deborah

Do you understand what I mean when I say the enemy counterfeits this gift as he does the other gifts?

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 06:27 AM

no------not exactly sure what you mean.

God Bless,

Deborah

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 06:33 AM

I understand (sorta)

Do you mean some people pretend to heal, speak in tongues,

etc.?

Deb

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 06:39 AM

But a true believer would be able to tell the counterfeit, ---right? I sincerely want to understand.

God Bless,

Deborah

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 07:26 AM

@ Deborah:

But a true believer would be able to tell the counterfeit, ---right? I sincerely want to understand.

How many professing Christians sit and listen to men such as Benny Hinn

T.D.Jakes

The Copelands

Almost all those on TBN,700 club,T.V. and the radio.

The Toronto Blessing movement

Pennsecola and Brownsville,Florida,

And now Mobile,Alabama has a movement.

Yet these same people see nothing wrong with what they are listening to from the above crowd.

Without the Holy Spirit revealing these false teachers and false prophets;Many are being led astray by their own Biblical ignorance and their wanting riches and having their ears tickled.

Also,they are being told not to be using their minds to disern or to understand Scripture.

I will talk more with you about this off post,for I believe some might take offense to these truths.

St.George

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 08:33 AM

trucker you are so spot on! If I lived for 6,000 yrs I would be the smartest man walking on the face of this earth! Satan is way smarter and far more powerful than if I was 6,000 yrs old. He is the master of deception. Job shows us some of what he can do to a man. I firmly believe he stages events to miss lead. He can make people believe they are performing miracles and doing spiritual things. He is the 2nd most powerful being in the universe. GOD gave us a book with everything we need to know in it to discern what is truth but people smash in what they want to believe. I always ask and never get an answer, but why in the hundreds of thousand maybe millions of Christian writing do we not see the gifts being used through out 2,000 years of Christian history like the charismatics do today? They came around in early 1900's so you have a 100 yrs of a very misleading doctrine sweeping our nation. When someone comes around and describes something not in the Bible and wants me to believe it is from GOD I don't care how nice and sincere they are I can't accept that. I picture the devil as a Joel Olsten, all smiles and good lookin and you would want him to be your best friend! So being skeptical of my senses being tickled by a master of deception is for my eternal protection!

Page : 1 2 3 4