What is the truth of these Scriptures
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 10:49 AM

Acts 2:4, Acts, 10:44-46, and Acts 19:2-6

marikashome

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 12:54 PM

PJ, I was surprised when you listed these three sets of verses together. Had you included Acts 2:38, I would have been almost positive that you must be from a group that I'm very familiar with.

Interestingly enough, the Bible never says exactly what tongues was. Tongues are languages, and we all agree with that.

Therefore:

And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other languages, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

...on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. 46For they heard them speak various languages, and magnify God.

6And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake various languages, and prophesied.

I'm quite familiar with the various interpretations of what tongues are (as well as of other innuendos in those verses). However, we have no evidence, historically or biblically, that shows that "tongues" is what it has come to be understood as in many circles today. Does that mean that tongues is wrong today? Not always or necessarily. However, it does mean that I will not come to the absolute conclusion of those who studied at Stone's Folly in the early 1900s. Believers in Bible times also magnified God and prophesied. Therefore I don't subscribe to the initial evidence doctrine, either.

I've stood at too many altars watching people sobbing and screaming and begging for "the Holy Ghost", meaning they were desperate to speak in tongues so they'd "know they got it". Whatever the purpose of tongues in the Bible, it isn't that.

~Mary

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 01:07 PM

Mary it would seem as though you put experience before scripture.

marikashome

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 01:16 PM

You have got to be kidding, PJ. I look at what the Bible actually says, and you say I place an emphasis on experience rather than the Bible? Put your glasses on and read what I said again. :ROFL:

marikashome

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 01:22 PM

I assume by "experience" you are referencing:

"I've stood at too many altars watching people sobbing and screaming and begging for "the Holy Ghost", meaning they were desperate to speak in tongues so they'd "know they got it". Whatever the purpose of tongues in the Bible, it isn't that."

I'll rephrase for you. Don't place more emphasis on tongues than you do on the rest of the Bible... or even on the Holy Ghost itself. No one in the Bible ever cried in screamed and begged for the Holy Ghost. Not once did someone seek tongues. The Holy Ghost fell, and at least some spoke in tongues. Tongues was never the emphasis. The Holy Ghost was.

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 01:23 PM

Finally! The alpaca picture! (I've been waiting for it) hurray! hurrah!

marikashome

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 01:29 PM

LOL Twosparrows. The alpaca, the camel, and the horse. It was too good to pass up. Took awhile to get that alpaca to pose though... :winksmile:

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 01:50 PM

WOW!! The false teacher exposes himself for what he really is!!! I knew it would only be a matter of time!

I am in agreement with Shawn:

But this puffed up attitude of, "I'm filled with a spirit that tells me everything and you know nothing" well that ain't cool.

PJ has always been this way!

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 02:08 PM

Horse, alpaca, camel, :applause:

Who's going to have the fourth photo? Maybe an Ostrich? A giraffe? lol

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 02:52 PM

Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Act 2:5 Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven.

Act 2:6 And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language.

Act 2:7 And they were amazed and astonished, saying, "Are not all these who are speaking Galileans?

Act 2:8 And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language?

Sorry, I'll have to address the passages individually.

We need to view verses and passages in the context of all of scripture. In this case, I believe the Holy Spirit "translated" what the disciples were saying into the language of the individual hearers. There is no indication that any of the disciples were multi-lingual. :-)

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 03:07 PM

Act 10:42 And he commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one appointed by God to be judge of the living and the dead.

Act 10:43 To him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name."

Act 10:44 While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word.

Act 10:45 And the believers from among the circumcised who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles.

Act 10:46 For they were hearing them speaking in tongues and extolling God.

Presumably the new believers in Caesaria were speaking in a language that those from Joppa didn't know, yet they understood, by the power of the Holy Spirit, that the new believers were praising God.

Page : 1 2 3 4