History
What is the truth of these Scriptures
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 03:10 PM

P.J. is not a false teacher, mrrow.

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 03:18 PM

Act 19:1 And it happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the inland country and came to Ephesus. There he found some disciples.

Act 19:2 And he said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" And they said, "No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit."

Act 19:3 And he said, "Into what then were you baptized?" They said, "Into John's baptism."

Act 19:4 And Paul said, "John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus."

Act 19:5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Act 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking in tongues and prophesying.

I have to admit that I'm not sure how this should be understood. It seems they didn't believe in Jesus as savior and Lord when Paul first came, because they had never heard of His death and resurrection. I'm reminded of Romans 10 -

Rom 10:13 For "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." 14 How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching?

Once Paul told them "the rest of the story", they came to faith in Him and received the Holy Spirit. I'm not clear on the significance of Paul's hands laid on them. I'm not sure what languages, or tongues, they were speaking, but they, too, began praising and proclaiming things of the Lord.

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 03:32 PM

Excellent and well thought out response, Mary. :-)

marikashome

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 04:03 PM

Chosen2BeHis-thank you.

Good interpretation of Acts 19.

It's interesting to me that when people in Acts received the Holy Spirit they might speak the word of God with boldness, prophesy, speak with tongues, or magnify God.

Acts 1:8 says, "And you shall receive power after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you, and you shall be witnesses..."

All the things I list above could be used to fulfill Acts 1:8, "you shall be witnesses," EXCEPT tongues, if tongues isn't a known language.

It appears by 1 Cor 14 that at least in Corinth there were times when the tongues were unknown to all hearers. Paul didn't discourage that, but he did instruct them to pray for an interpreter. He then encouraged them to "be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues".

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 05:57 PM

Prove it Deborah!

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 06:58 PM

I read what you said, that is why I said what I said to you.

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 07:08 PM

There are a few people on these forums that I consider false teachers and you never hear me calling them false teachers. EVERYONE here use their brains when communicating with other human beings. The false teachers here can state their false doctrines clearly, and if you have a question on their beliefs they will articulate themselves so they are understood. They are still wrong and they still hold to false teaching but I let them be. PJ comes on here with this holier than though pride filled attitude that is offensive and disgusting and not one word of his is biblical truth. He CAN"T answer a question with a clear answer because he doesn't know the answer, and he has totally lost his mind. I am a firm believer if ya don't use it you lose it and he has gone for so long not using his GOD given brain he has completely lost it. I can expose him with one simple question he will not answer!

Here is a copy and paste of his post from another thread:

7.Professing the gospel is the forgiveness of sins.

(He says the gospel is NOT about forgiveness of sin! The Bible clear teaches it IS about forgiveness of sin!)

Explain yourself mister!!!

I have NEVER heard a claim such as this! This is what PJ needs to answer for himself! He needs to give scripture to back this up! He needs to explain his understanding of those scriptures that make him thin this. Clearly! I know it is impossible for him to do this cause he doesn't use his brain. But my proof he is a false teach will be in how he handles this! If he truly is a man of GOD and knows the bible like he claims this should not be a hard task for him. He made a statement NOW he needs to step up and tell all of us what he means.

Then this...LOL!!! :ROFL:

8. Boldly proclaiming your opinion as true doctrine.

This one has me rollin on the floor ! PJ you are number 1 on this site guilty of this it cracks me up that you listed it...pure arrogance & pride that you would even make this statement and it not hit home for you! If the lack of an answer above doesn't prove my point this one does for sure!

If he will explain himself clearly on HIS statement #7 I'll never respond to another PJ post! Deborah you can even help him if ya want.

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 07:50 PM

@ everyone:

While you are patting yourselves on the back,please note that there are men from other languages that HEAR the works of GOD in their own language.

Unless the Holy Spirit opens a persons ears,they cannot hear the word,nor the works of GOD.

Act 2:5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

Act 2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

Act 2:7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

Act 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Act 2:9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

Act 2:10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

Act 2:11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

Act 2:12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?

St.George

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Dec, 2010 06:13 AM

Not necessary to PROVE anything to you,mrrow--------- according to you anyone who doesn't believe Everything you say is a false teacher.

Therefore thou art inexcusable.O man,whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Dec, 2010 07:31 AM

The last words Jesus spoke before ascending into Heaven.

...you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth." Acts 1:8

The coming of the Holy Spirit and the beginning of the ministry.

Acts 2:4,5 The miracle in speaking in different languages for spreading the gospel to all nations.

4) it was very important that they should be endowed with this power in their great work. They were going forth to preach to all nation; and though the Greek and Roman tongues were extensively spoken, yet their use was not universal, nor is it known that the apostles were skilled in those languages. To preach to all nations, it was indispensable that they should be able to understand their language. And in order that the gospel might be rapidly propagated through the earth, it was necessary that they should be endowed with ability to do this without the slow process of being compelled to learn them. It will contribute to illustrate this to remark that one of the principal hindrances in the spread of the gospel now arises from the inability to speak the languages of the nations of the earth, and that among missionaries of modern times a long time is necessarily spent in acquiring the language of a people before they are prepared to preach to them.

(5) one design was to establish the gospel by means of miracles. Yet no miracle could be more impressive than the power of conveying their sentiments at once in all the languages of the earth. When it is remembered what a slow and toilsome process it is to learn a foreign tongue, this would I be regarded by the pagan as one of the most striking miracles which could be performed

This is describing the gift of tongues as a language from Heaven

Acts 10:44-48 The Holy Ghost fell upon others after they were baptized, to confirm them in the faith; but upon these Gentiles before they were baptized, to show that God does not confine himself to outward signs. The Holy Ghost fell upon those who were neither circumcised nor baptized; it is the Spirit that quickeneth, the flesh profiteth nothing. They magnified God, and spake of Christ and the benefits of redemption. Whatever gift we are endued with, we ought to honour God with it. The believing Jews who were present, were astonished that the gift of the Holy Ghost was poured out upon the Gentiles also. By mistaken notions of things, we make difficult for ourselves as to the methods of Divine providence and grace. As they were undeniably baptized with the Holy Ghost, Peter concluded they were not to be refused the baptism of water, and the ordinance was administered. The argument is conclusive; can we deny the sign to those who have received the things signified? Those who have some acquaintance with Christ, cannot but desire more. Even those who have received the Holy Ghost, must see their need of daily learning more of the truth.

Acts 19:2-6 Receiving the Holy Spirit

With the baptism of repentance - Having special reference to repentance, or as a profession that they did repent of their sins. See the notes on Matthew 3:6.

Saying unto the people - The design of his preaching was to tarn the people from their sins, and to prepare them for the coming of the Messiah. He therefore directed their attention principally to him that was to come, John 1:15, John 1:22-27.

That is, on Christ Jesus - These are the words of Paul, explaining what John taught. John taught them to believe in the Messiah, and Paul now showed them that the Messiah was Jesus of Nazareth. The argument of Paul is, that it was highly proper for them now to profess publicly that Saviour to whom John had borne such explicit testimony. "Jesus is the Messiah for whom John came to prepare the way; and as you have em braced John's doctrine, you ought now publicly to acknowledge that Redeemer by baptism in his name.

Page : 1 2 3 4