Author Thread: Whatcha think about God and the big bang all being one in the same?
Admin

Whatcha think about God and the big bang all being one in the same?
Posted : 17 Dec, 2010 06:27 PM

Hi friends,

My 19 year old son is agnostic after being a real God-seeker as a child and young teenager. There were some wounds in his life that played a big part in his condition, now, but I pray and believe he will allow Jesus to heal his unbelief.

Anyway, him and I had this late night talk about astronomy, God, the age of the planet and the big bang. I am not all "this is the way is is" with him because I don't see where God made that a major point for us to know.

He made the statement that it could all have come from God and I agreed. The earth could very well be much older than what we think as the garden of Eden is where it began for our reading.

What do some of you cosmic comrades think? :)

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Dec, 2010 11:04 PM

I try to follow and keep up to speed with understanding the evolutionary theory. I'm no expert, but I do search for stuff on it from time to time to see how things began and how we got to where we are now. Something can't come from nothing is what it always comes back to for me. And the more I learn the more I come back to find that one way or another, we are insanely lucky to be alive. I just go about it by asking honest open minded questions, such as 'So according to the theory, how would this happen?' I really don't see it as a threat to my faith or proving God does or does not exist. After all, why couldn't He use evolution to accomplish His work? I think there are lots of good things in favor of both God and evolution co-existing. God is God. Evolution is evolution. And somehow life exists.

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Dec, 2010 11:07 PM

Something can't just come from nothing. However far back they draw the line for evolution starting there is always that first domino.

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Dec, 2010 12:41 AM

Genesis is arguably the most important book in The Bible. Genesis sets the stage for the rest of The Bible. If we cannot believe Genesis�if we cannot take it Literally�then we will have a difficult time believing the rest of The Bible.

God said �six days��six days is what God took to make EVERYTHING! Can we prove it? Well�we have an eyewitness report�God in The Bible.

If it took only six days then this world and the universe can not be more than (at the most) 12,000 years old. If this is true than how can we be seeing light that has traveled for over billions of years? Or rocks that �appear� to be millions of years old?

When God Created Adam He did not Create him as a baby. God created Adam as an adult. If a doctor were to have examined Adam just hours after God Created him�that doctor would have come to the conclusion that Adam was just a �few hours� old�yet Adam�s APPEARANCE would say differently. God Created this world in a Mature Condition�able to reproduce (tree bearing fruit and so on).

In astrophysics there are �things� called White Holes. They are basically the opposite of Black Holes. And just as in a Black Hole there is an �Event Horizon� (where time gets �distorted�) so too is there one in a White Hole.

God could have used a White Hole to Create this universe and the Earth could have been at the Event Horizon. Thus while one second could have passed here on earth�a million years could have passed out in space (as space expanded away from the Earth).

��a day on earth could have been a million days somewhere else� (sound familiar?)

Scientists are more and more turning to God and Religion as they realize that The Bible makes more sense than their textbooks. Believing in God opens them up to more possibilities and frees them to be able to �Think oUtSIde the BoX� and therefore discover much more!

God did not �use� evilution to create mankind. That would mean that He lied to us in Genesis and that Death was already in this world before Adam and Eve sinned. That The Garden of Eden was Created on the bones of dead animals that suffered and died.

I have dozens of books that would be great for your son to read.

Joy2theW0rld

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Dec, 2010 06:34 AM

Science is an attempt by men (one of God's creations) to explain the phenomenon of God's creation. Oftentimes scientific theories are discovered to be flawed and many current theories are actually updates to previous scientific theories.

Fortunately the bible offers an unchanging truth.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

On Christ the solid rock I stand all other ground is sinking sand

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Dec, 2010 07:50 AM

If we don't question our faith the way non-Christians do, or the way we question other faiths, then is that really faith or hard headed ignorance? Is that how we are called to be?

I think it's ok to to say 'I don't know' or 'That's not good enough'. We know what the Bible says about how things came to be, but we don't know how. I think this can and should be investigated. Why couldn't the universe be 15 billion years old? I think we run into very dangerous territory when we don't honestly question what we believe and why, or make make the evidence fit the case rather than the other way around. Case in point: Galileo. Galileo was religious, but that didn't stop him from pursuing science and becoming one of the greatest scientists of all time and it didn't stop the church from running him into the ground because it questioned what they believed (Which couldn't have been more false). Let's be like Galileo. It's not 'us' vs 'them' and digging in. It's honestly seeking the truth.

The Bible didn't tell us how to cure polio.

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Dec, 2010 12:44 AM

Good dialogue here~Brandon. I think the bible is a science book and God wants us to ask questions and explore within the contest of His word, as long as we stay teachable and correctable.

Cited from, "Science and Scripture; Geology and Genesis:"

Let us clearly state up front that the ongoing controversy of "Creation vs. Evolution" will never be resolved to the satisfaction of the secular scientific community. It cannot be resolved in a secular context regardless of the well-intended efforts of many on either side of the debate, or in between, because the current focus of the argument is emotionally and factually misdirected.

Armed with only the observations of current and historical geologic processes and other empirical data, and assuming natural history has been a continuum across billions of years, the present secular paradigms of geological and evolutionary theory are about the best belief system that the educated carnal mind of man could be expected to conceive and accept from the available physical evidence.

Without the input of Biblical Authority, current theories are incomplete and many questions and mysteries remain unresolved, especially in relation to the origins of mankind.

Secular scientists are confident to point out scientific inaccuracies of the Bible because they have been led to view the Bible through the distorted lenses of traditional Biblical interpretation.

What these scientists have successfully contradicted is traditionally-held Biblical interpretation; specifically, that all things were created out of nothing only about six thousand years ago, as espoused by Young Earth Creationists.

However, when you get down to the solid core of what the Bible actually and truly says, Scripture compared to Scripture, there is no scientific evidence in existence today to refute what it actually says: All life, indeed an entire ancient world order, had already perished from the face of the Earth long before the seven days of Genesis.

The rightly-divided Scriptures reveal that the seven days of Genesis are a REGENERATION of the heavens and earth, and that life on this planet has not been an actual continuum. Both the Bible and scientific data are most certainly in agreement on one very key point: This planet Earth is very, very old, and if God authored both the Word and Earth's geologic record, no real contradiction in fact can possibly exist. The fault MUST be interpretive on both sides.

Noah's flood and Divine creative intervention by a Holy God are not factored into the world's accepted origins model, because God can't be observed or quantified in a physical system or seen under a microscope, although the results of His work can be observed and quantified.

For these reasons there is an unbridgeable gap between secular Empirical Science and the Christian faith in respect to both Creation and Noah's flood.

Empirical Science is the pursuit of quantifiable facts and repeatable observations and is limited to the physical sphere of reality.

From this purely physical perspective, the geological evidence appears to indicate that this planet and the life on it are the result of natural processes over time, and that the existence of all life forms and extinction must be credited to a natural process of random mutations and selection by nature itself.

In such a paradigm of interpretation, the researcher's faith is in a theory or synthesis of theories which seems to best fit the observations.

The Christian, on the other hand, must also deal with spiritual things, which are just as real as physical things, but can only be seen through the agency of faith by the illumination of the Word of God. An honest born-again Christian (who is also a scientist) cannot be fully objective in an empirical perspective in dealing with the question of origins.

The acceptance of God's Words on matters of original sin and supernatural agency hold us accountable to a higher interpretive system, a system which has no place of welcome in the institutional physical sciences of the world. No amount of compromise will be acceptable to either the Naturalist or Creationist extremes of each respective school.

That being said, please do not misunderstand. A lot of good knowledge emerges from the practice of good science and the scientific method, and there are a lot of good Christians who are scientists.

But when it comes to matters of origins and the things of God, natural science (without God) is as much out of its depth in providing the full truth as the Young Earth Creationist who ignores solid scientific data.

Leaving behind the vanity and politics of the Creation/Evolution debate, those who have a well-grounded faith in the Scriptures and a good knowledge of the geological evidence (not theories) are in the better position to attain to a more perfect understanding of how all the pieces of the puzzle fit together.

It is only when we accept God and His Words as the final authority in ALL matters that we are able to perceive the complete picture and resolve the "6,000 years problem" at the heart of the controversy.

The Bible will ALWAYS have an answer, although we may not immediately see it.

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein.

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Dec, 2010 04:56 AM

Joy2thewOrld,

:applause::yay::rocknroll::bouncy::bow::applause::angel:

I Agree!

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Dec, 2010 09:51 AM

Modern science is very grotesque today. It wants to be a theory and a universal truth simultaneously delivered in semantics to justify the athiest's morals and beliefs/lifestyle. I think if we were to pursue true science, we would find that it is 100% compatible with our faith. It's about being confident. If someone told a body builder he was not a strong person, the body builder would pay it no mind because he was confident and knew that he wasn't. If he just argued and bellowed until the other person was convinced, that's not confidence. In the same way if somebody says our faith is not true, we shouldn't feel threatened and bury our heads in the sand either.

I have a lot of athiests I associate with so that's why I try to stay up to speed on this and better understand what they're thinking so I can meet them where they're at. The way Jesus does for all of us. That is love, which is what it should always be about.

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Dec, 2010 12:07 PM

I agree, God made us and knew we would have questions. We are to study to show ourselves approved so we can answer the non-believers confidently by our faith in Him, even if we say "I don't know" ~we can still have the love and faith that tells us He holds the answers to everything in life.

I like how Jesus answered Thomas~"put your hand in my side and see for yourself." Notice he didn't rebuke Thomas at all? :purpleangel:

Maniacs1

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Dec, 2010 07:39 PM

in genesis, the order of creation is

day 1: light/darkness, day/night

day 2: the firmament (atmosphere)

day 3: land/plants

day 4: sun/moon/stars etc.

day 5: water dwelling creatures/flying creatures

day 6: land animals/humans

(this is just a quick overview)

my question then is how can millions/billions of years happen on earth when the order of creation is this way. plants would have froze and would not have been able to reproduce due to lack of heat from the sun/no insects to pollinate.

Page : 1 2 3