Author Thread
Ohiograce^

View Profile
It's refreshing...
Posted : 25 Nov, 2022 12:15 PM

to read and believe the Bible, because some christians call into question the salvation of other "so called christians" just because they vote differently than they do. The Bible doesn't consider capitalism or democracy sacred or superior. The Bible doesn't even address those issues. God does not have any sacred nation. God has His Church the body of Christ.

I'll say it loud and clear! You can be a Christian whether you are a democrat or a republican. You can be saved whether you are red or yellow, black or white. You can be a member of the Body of Christ, which is His Church, whether you are an american, russian, chinese, swahili, pakistani, north korean or any other country.

Ohiograce^

View Profile
On a lighter note
Posted : 24 Nov, 2022 07:47 AM

Have a Happy thanksgiving!

After all, there is a little turkey in every one of us

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Are You Taking Someone Else's Word For It?
Posted : 14 Nov, 2022 02:29 PM

Psalms 119:99 I have more understanding than all my teachers; For your testimonies are my meditation. 

100 I understand more than the elders, Because I keep your commands. 

Our teachers are not the final authority. Our elders (bishops, pastors, deacons, etc.) are not the final authority. God and His Word are the authority.

The Psalmist meditates on God's testimonies. The Psalmist keeps God's commands. We do not judge ourselves by any human standard or by any human creed or statement of belief.

II Corinthians 5:10 For it is necessary that we all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive for the things done in the body, according to what each one did, whether good or evil. 

Ephesians 6:8 knowing that whatever good each will do, this he will receive from the Lord, whether slave or free. 

Colossians 3:25 For the one doing wrong will receive for what he did wrong, and there is no respect of persons. 

Ohiograce^

View Profile
What do Christians preach?
Posted : 7 Oct, 2022 02:37 PM

Not sons but sins

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Posted : 7 Oct, 2022 02:35 PM

Every Christian in every country, for the last 2000 years, has been and is responsible to God and his word in the exact same way. God is not saving nations. Christians in russia or china or israel are called by God to live the same way, in obedience to God. Read 1 corinthians 5:12-13. God judges those outside, the lost. We are to judge ourselves and preach the saving gospel of Christ to them. Morality is no better and no different than the old covenant which did not and never will change the heart.

Those who believe that God is on their side in politics are of the same league as Islam. In the past "christians"

like that put people to death. Both catholics and protestants were guilty of killing people they disagreed with. That is not the faith which agrees with the new testament.

The first settlers in the new england colonies killed quakers. They forced roger williams and Anne hutchinson into the wilderness. is that your faith? Will you put to death the lost because they kill the unborn? Will you kill the homosexuals and lesbians for their sons? Will you kill me because I will not preach that gospel of outward morality? Sinners will be sinners until God saves them. But God will judge them in his time.

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Posted : 7 Oct, 2022 12:56 PM

Are Christians preaching Christ? Or do they preach a gospel of moralism? In the 1800's, it was the liberals who preached a social gospel. Now the conservatives are doing the same thing. Both are equally WRONG. God is not Conservative or Liberal, Democrat or Republican.

Charles Hodge wrote the following in his commentary on II Corinthians 4:5 IN 1859. Nothing new under the sun!

"To make the end of preaching the inculcation of virtue, to render

men honest, sober, benevolent and faithful, is part and parcel of that

wisdom of the world that is foolishness with God. It is attempting to raise

fruit without trees. When a man is brought to recognize Jesus Christ as

Lord, and to love and worship him as such, then he becomes like Christ.

What more can the moralist want?"

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Weak and Beggarly Elements: Death and Condemnation
Posted : 5 Oct, 2022 01:22 PM

It depends on which branch of the seventh day adventists you talk to. Then there are certain extreme groups of Messianic Gentiles or Messianic Jews who do the same thing. They all just pick and choose what they want of course. I did use the word "extreme." I'm not saying every Sda or every messianic person follows that line of thinking.

That line of thinking may not manifest itself in keeping some of the laws of Moses. a form of Galatianism or moralism is rampant in Christianity, particularly in america. It may be like the situation this american author addressed in 1859.

"To make the end of preaching the inculcation of virtue, to render

men honest, sober, benevolent and faithful, is part and parcel of that

wisdom of the world that is foolishness with God.

It is attempting to raise fruit without trees. When a man is brought to recognize Jesus Christ as

Lord, and to love and worship him as such, then he becomes like Christ.

What more can the moralist want?"

Charles Hodge in his commentary on II Corinthians 4:5

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Posted : 3 Oct, 2022 01:11 PM

Another issue in the Galatians 4:8-10 passage is that Paul is actually comparing what they were in their pagan gentile religious practice with their actions in taking up with the law. Both are equally false. They contribute nothing to our walk with God, not for salvation, nor for our spiritual growth and maturity.

Gal 3:2 This only I wish to learn from you, was it out of the works of the law you received the Spirit or out of the message of faith/faithfulness?  3:3 Are you so senseless? having been begun by the Spirit, are you now making yourselves perfect/complete by the flesh? 

3:4 Did you experience such things in vain? if it be indeed in vain.  3:5  He therefore that supplies to you the Spirit, and works miracles among you, is it out of the works of the law, or out of the message of faith/faithfulness? 

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Posted : 3 Oct, 2022 12:51 PM

Galatians 4:9 But now, having known God, or rather having been known by God, how do you return again to the weak and poor elements, to which you are wishing to act as slaves again?

What exactly is Paul referring to? There are Christians who believe in keeping certain parts of the Law according to their own choosing, but not the whole thing. There are other Christians who don't know what to make of this because they hold the Law of moses in such high esteem that they end up watering down the Gospel. They feel the same way about II Corinthians 3:7,9 where Paul calls that written in stone a ministry or service associated with death and condemnation. He contrasts the law with the ministry of the Spirit and righteousness which God gave him. He compares the law to the glory on Moses face, which glory was disappearing.

Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Study to show yourself Approved unto God
Posted : 27 Sep, 2022 11:07 AM

See assembling.alanknox.net

Here is one response from him to a comment. I think it is very appropriate.

"I think you’re looking at this the wrong way. You’re asking, “Is it wrong to study the Bible?” That has nothing to do with the question that I’m asking. I’m asking, “What did Paul mean when he wrote 2 Timothy 2:15? Did he intend to communicate the importance of studying the Bible to Timothy?”

For example, if my evidence is correct, then “spoudazo” could not mean “study,” which means that was not Paul’s intention in this verse.

Regardless of the answer to my question, it is still good to study the Bible. However, if that was not Paul’s intention in 2 Timothy 2:15, then we need to try to understand what Paul meant. Otherwise, we are missing Paul’s intention and (in my understanding of Scripture) God’s intention."

http://assembling.alanknox.net/2013/08/did-paul-tell-timothy-to-study-in-2-timothy-215/

Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10