Author Thread
Ohiograce^

View Profile
Understanding Scripture
Posted : 25 Sep, 2022 04:55 AM

"II Timothy 2:15

I'm in the process of writing an article about this verse considering the larger context of II Timothy. This verse is written specifically to Timothy. It also has nothing to do with reading or studying. Paul is concerned that Timothy is on the edge of collapsing in the face of persecution. In 1:7 Paul reminds him that God did not give them a spirit of cowardice. What God did do was give them a spirit associated with power, love and spiritual common sense (a sound mind, healthy thinking). Paul doesn't want Timothy to be ashamed. In 1:8 Paul tells Timothy, don't be ashamed. In 1:12 he gives his own example as he says, I am not ashamed. In 1:16 Paul says, Onesiphorus was not ashamed of my chain.

Without a doubt, this is an example for us. But only if we understand that it isn't about reading or studying the Bible. Darby's translation says to strive diligently. The word "study" had a different meaning in the 1500's and 1600's. It's about standing up and suffering hardship in the face of persecution. Paul is facing death. Timothy is wavering. Timothy needs to give it all he's got. Paul is essentially telling Timothy not to cave in or run away. Be diligent, Timothy, to present yourself approved to God, an unashamed worker.

A good thought for believers in any country or at any time."

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Understanding Scripture
Posted : 25 Sep, 2022 04:28 AM

I Corinthians 14:26 what is it then, brothers and sisters? when you come together, each one of you has a song, has a teaching, has a language, has a revelation, has an interpretation. all things should be done for building up. 14:29 And two or three prophets should speak, and the others should judge. 14:30 If anything is revealed to another sitting by, the first should be silent.

There is not one person who monopolizes the time when the saints gather. He mentions "each one" has something to offer. Then he focuses on the one who speaks a language (verse 27), the one who interprets (verse 28) and the prophets (verse 29). He does that because of the problem with speaking in languages (verses 1-25). the corinthian believers were more interested in speaking in these languages than they were in building up the Body. Verse 29 indicates that the whole gathered Body judges what is said by those who have prophesied. Verse 30 indicates that the one speaking has to be silent so others can make their contribution. There is no one person who is hogging the show. These verses certainly show that the whole concept of one person, who stands in front, controlling it all is false. Where are the gathered saints who practice these things?

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Understanding Scripture
Posted : 24 Sep, 2022 06:32 PM

I grew up in a church that taught doctrine as doctrine. I have attended churches who do that. They don't really teach the Scriptures. They only use the Bible to teach their doctrinal statements. They do teach truth. But it is limited to using Scriptures to teach THEIR conclusions. Conclusions can be true or false. When we deal with false teaching, we have to show what Scripture teaches in context. False teachers always say, "well, that's your interpretation!"

What does Scripture say? It isn't what any teacher or preacher says. Something isn't the truth just because someone says it. even paul was challenged by his hearers.

Acts 17:11-And these were more noble than those in Thessalonica, receiving the word with all readiness of mind, daily searching the scriptures if these things were so.

Every teacher/preacher should expect to be challenged. indeed, they should want to be held accountable to the Word. If a teacher/preacher has the attitude that they should never be challenged as to the Truth, then that is a bad sign in and of itself. They have the attitude they already have it all. You need to run from those people.

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Understanding Scripture
Posted : 24 Sep, 2022 03:55 PM

If we take verses and passages out of context to prove our point, how does that make us any different from those who do the same thing when they teach error? In our discussion with those people, not only are we being dishonest before God with His Word, but we just show the false teachers that we are just like them.

Think about it.

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Study to show yourself Approved unto God
Posted : 24 Sep, 2022 10:45 AM

Sister,

I'm not denying the need to read and study the Scriptures. Even the one post you posted said that it doesn't mean "study."

If we take verses and passages out of context to prove a point, we have no leg to stand on in dealing with those who teach falsely who do the same thing.

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Study to show yourself Approved unto God
Posted : 24 Sep, 2022 07:44 AM

II Timothy 2:15

I'm in the process of writing an article about this verse considering the larger context of II Timothy. This verse is written specifically to Timothy. It also has nothing to do with reading or studying. Paul is concerned that Timothy is on the edge of collapsing in the face of persecution. In 1:7 Paul reminds him that God did not give them a spirit of cowardice. What God did do was give them a spirit associated with power, love and spiritual common sense (a sound mind, healthy thinking). Paul doesn't want Timothy to be ashamed. In 1:8 Paul tells Timothy, don't be ashamed. In 1:12 he gives his own example as he says, I am not ashamed. In 1:16 Paul says, Onesiphorus was not ashamed of my chain.

Without a doubt, this is an example for us. But only if we understand that it isn't about reading or studying the Bible. Darby's translation says to strive diligently. The word "study" had a different meaning in the 1500's and 1600's. It's about standing up and suffering hardship in the face of persecution. Paul is facing death. Timothy is wavering. Timothy needs to give it all he's got. Paul is essentially telling Timothy not to cave in or run away. Be diligent, Timothy, to present yourself approved to God, an unashamed worker.

A good thought for believers in any country or at any time.

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Favorite Bible verse
Posted : 25 Aug, 2022 02:44 PM

To those who wish to keep the rituals of the law of moses, the sabbaths and food laws and other things: why do you limit your obedience? Do you wear clothing made of mixed materials? See leviticus 19:19.

How do you have your hair cut or your facial hair trimmed, leviticus 19:27

Leviticus 19:30 says to keep the sabbaths and honor God's sanctuary. I realize y'all will probably tell me that the reference to the sanctuary doesn't apply. And if y'all say it does, y'all will say it's the church where y'all meet and not to the place of the altar in the tabernacle or the temple. Maybe y'all will be so bold as to say it's the sanctuary in heaven. Whatever!

But leviticus 19:37 says to " observe all my statutes and all my judgements and do them." Not just a few, not just the ones you pick and choose!

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Favorite Bible verse
Posted : 25 Aug, 2022 07:04 AM

I Know that you have a favorite Bible verse. So don't use this thread to spread your doctrines of demons. Go start your own thread.

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Favorite Bible verse
Posted : 25 Aug, 2022 04:23 AM

One of my favorites is galatians 2:20.

I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live but Christ lives in me, and the life which I now live in the flesh I live in the faithfulness of the Son of God who loved me and gave himself for me.

It has always struck me that Paul said, Christ loved me and gave himself for me. We can say that and rejoice.

In line with this theme of the divine love, we have romans 5:8.

God commends his own love for us, that while we were sinners Christ died for us.

This love is all about the divine initiative. God loves sinners as sinners. Christ died for sinners as sinners. God didn't say, stop sinning and I will love you. Christ didn't say, stop sinning and I will die for you.

Ohiograce^

View Profile
An analogy from marriage
Posted : 23 Aug, 2022 11:31 AM

Romans 7:1-6 is not about marriage.

Or are you ignorant/without knowledge, (For I am speaking to those who know the law.) That the law dominates/has lordship over a person as long he/she lives?

For the married woman has been bound to her living husband by law. But if her husband dies, she has been freed from the law of her husband. So then, while her husband lives, she will be considered an adulterer if she is (married/joined, this is understood from the context, the actual word doesn't occur) to another man. And if the husband dies she is free from the law so that she will not be an adulterer when she has( married/joined)another man.

Now, God has paul make the application.

So then also you, my brothers and sisters, you were made dead to the law through the body of Christ to be (joined/married) to another man who was raised out of the dead, that we might bear fruit to God.

For when we were in the flesh, the passions of sins worked in our members so that we bore fruit to death. But now we have been freed from the law, dead to that which held us, so that we might serve in newness of spirit and not in oldness of letter.

The analogy appears to be we were married to the law. In the application of it, we are the ones who died to the law. Since we have been released from the law, now we are free to serve God, not by the old letter(the law) but by the new spirit.

See 2 corinthians chapter 3.

Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10