Author Thread
DontHitThatMark

View Profile
Sabbath 6/20/15 Daytona SDB Church Pastor Wray sermon �The Landmine of Fear�
Posted : 23 Jun, 2015 05:33 AM

I would hope you would take advice from Paul. Maybe John. If it's bad or wrong advice, I'd like to know how it's bad. If you don't want to discus it, that's fine, but for the sake of everybody else, you might want to post a defense of your views before the evil SDA brainwashes everybody.

:devil::rolleyes:

:peace::peace:

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
Sabbath 6/20/15 Daytona SDB Church Pastor Wray sermon �The Landmine of Fear�
Posted : 22 Jun, 2015 12:23 PM

Colossians 2:16

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Romans 14:6

1Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. 2For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. 3Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. 4Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. 5One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. 7For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. 8For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's. 9For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

These verses cut both ways. If someone desires to keep the Sabbath of the bible, they should not be condemned for it. The same attitude you condemn is the one you're displaying right now, only instead of saying "you must keep", you're saying "you must not keep". Both of those are legalism.

1 John 3:4

"Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. 5And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin."

We only know sin by the law. So in the same way adultery/murder/idolatry is still sin, so is breaking the holiness of the Sabbath. By that reasoning, I cannot go against the convictions of my conscience and sin against God. Jesus, the apostles, and the gentiles, they all kept the Sabbath. Everyone in the bible kept the 7th day Sabbath. Taking up an offering on the first day, or breaking bread which they did everyday, does not transfer the solemnity or holiness of the memorial of God's creative power to a different day. Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath, the Lord's day is the Sabbath throughout the bible, it was a holy day before the old covenant and it will continue to be holy in the future. If you don't feel the same way, then I believe you might be stronger in the faith, but either way, we can talk about these things and not argue or condemn. As Paul implies, the most important thing is not what day goes where, it's treating each other with respect and christian love.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
How do you know the Christian God is the right God?
Posted : 17 Jun, 2015 08:33 AM

1. some of the ''Christians'' I have met have treated me the worst out of all people. I am a nice person and didn't deserve to be treated that way. I treat others with kindness, and would expect the same in return.

:bouncy:I think someone already said it, but we shouldn't set up human "Christians" as the standard. Jesus is the standard. He will treat you with kindness.

2. Does God make the rules? It seems awfully harsh that our sins would be so bad that he would *have* to send his son on a cross to die for our sins. Like, is it really that hard to forgive us? humans are somewhat stupid after all, and aren't all knowing like God. I don't think we are always aware of just how bad our actions are, and the effect they have on others. Surely people should be forgiven, no matter how bad their sins are, once a certain amount of time has passed. If God made the rules, why can't he be more leniant?

:bouncy:This is a common misconception throughout time. God didn't give us the rules for us to keep them. He gave us the rules to show us that we are sinful and need to change. Not just to change our actions and keep a list of rules, but to change our heart, our minds, the way we think, the things we value. Everything! He wants to make us new creatures. The new creatures he wants us to become will live His true rules. Justice, Mercy, Humility. He can't be more lenient, even though He is being extremely lenient, because sin is a destructive infestation that perverts every beautiful thing. It has enabled humans to turn on their Creator who wanted only good things for them, and to eventually kill Him in one of the cruelest ways possible. We hurt and torture and kill even our fellow humans, even our own children, even animals. Sin cannot be tolerated. It must be defeated, and if we won't see the truth and run away from sin, we will be destroyed with it because we will be shown to love sin more than life.

3. Why is homosexuality considered a bad thing? It doesn't make sense to me. Males and females are made differently so we can reproduce, but surely, we have enough people on earth as it is, and we aren't managing to feed everyone and give them what they need. Surely, less people would be a good thing (I'm not promoting abortion or anything, that I disagree with).

:bouncy:Homosexuality is not as "wrong" as people make it out to be, it's not worse than drunkenness or gluttony, and "Christianity" is already rife with those sins. I've met homosexuals that are better people than a lot of Christians. The issue is, what is good, what is right, what is pure, what is healthy. I don't have to describe homosexual behavior for very long until it sounds pretty degrading and unhealthy. Again, that doesn't make it worse than any other sin. Pedophilia is far worse. Rape is far worse. Regular heterosexual fornication is far worse than a committed homosexual relationship, but that still doesn't make it good. Christians need to be much less hypocritical in how we respond to homosexual behavior, and much more merciful, but it's still not right. It is a unnatural and backwards use of the original purposes for those body parts, it's just as simple as that. Same thing goes for the same body part uses in a heterosexual relationship. Putting things where they don't belong is not good no matter what.

4. Alot of things in the bible don't seem loving, or even make sense.

:bouncy:You'll have to be more specific here, but I'll introduce you to the concept of "sufficient moral reasoning". What might not look good to us in the short term, may be the best thing possible in the long term. Sometimes we look at little sins or choices and we don't see the results for a very long time, but God sees the end from the beginning, and sometimes a very tiny sin/choice results in World War II. When we meet Him face to face, we can ask Him why things happened, the point right now is to get to know Him. We get to know Him thru Jesus, and from what I see of Jesus' life, I can trust Him with the rough edges. Jesus only came to love and to heal, He was never unfair. He took part in our suffering with us, to relieve our suffering and give us abundant life, to the point that He was willing to die a cruel death at our own hands.

5. Why are people allowed several wives or to keep slaves and then things like homosexuality are frowned upon?

:bouncy:All of those things are wrong. God allowed some of those things in the past because of the hardness of our hearts. We would reject God completely if He tried to rip sin out of us all at once, He's trying to bring us closer to Him all the time. You can apply that to kingdoms and nations as well. He is very merciful and long-suffering, and He tolerates our sin as He guides us down the path of repentance. There will probably be polygamists and slavers and homosexuals in heaven, but when they get there and see the clear truth, they will be very repentant and very grateful that God was merciful with them. The bottom line is that they were serving God to the best of their knowledge, they were following the truth that He was revealing to them, and He knows that they will continue to do that for eternity.

6. Is God ok with *some* people being rich, but not others? why?

:bouncy:God isn't here to provide material goods or comfort on this earth. He's trying to offer us something of such an immense value that His son gave up all the riches of heaven to come to earth and die so that we could see it. God is NOT ok with greed, but He is ok with people who work hard and make a lot of money. He is NOT ok with taking money from rich people by force(stealing) to give to poor people. That is just as bad as being greedy.

7. What has convinced you that the Christian God exists over other Gods? I geniunely want to know. I don't like Christianity a lot at the moment, but I like the idea of having someone that watches over me, that loves and cares for me. There are parts of the bible that make a lot of sense and things that make me want to like God, but then things that don't make any sense. Originally, I was a Christian because I didn't want to go to hell. I don't know if I even believe in hell anymore. I believe in a God, but I'm not sure what one. I'm not convinced by the Big Bang Theory or that any of this could exist without a creator. I want to believe the truth, but to do that, I need to know what the truth is, and I need some convincing. I've tried looking for answers by myself and haven't found them. I don't want to doom myself for eternity if the Christian God is the real, only, genuine God. I've never found peace praying, or felt like my prayers were being answered. I don't feel like I have a relationship with God, and either that's because there isn't one, or I haven't been able to open myself up fully out of fear. I go to Church and see people claiming to be healed or hear things from God, or they claim they can see angels, and it feels like they are either lying or delusional. I used to believe those things too, so maybe they genuinely believe. I don't know.

:bouncy:I felt the same way for a long time, but I went thru an experience where all the dots were connected for me, and I am absolutely certain that the Christian God is the only true God. I'm also certain that the Christian religion is not the only way to find God, but it is the best way. All I can tell you here is to really study the bible, using the character of Jesus as the key. Jesus is the clearest example we have of what God is like. If you know Him, you know God. If you know God, you can understand how God as acted throughout history.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
Alleged "Christian" beheads ISIS militant. Do "Christians" behead people?
Posted : 17 Jun, 2015 07:43 AM

It depends on if it was for revenge or not. Revenge should never motivate a christian, but I don't not believe that stopping an evil person in defense of the helpless/innocent is wrong, even if we have to kill the evil person.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
Should Christians Oppose Social Drinking?
Posted : 17 Jun, 2015 07:24 AM

And I just want to point out that I said the bible "allows" for alcohol drinking, I did not say that it's "recommended". I do firmly believe that the closer we get to Christ, the less we'll want to drink alcohol. The main point is not to judge or condemn someone because they drink a couple beers a week. And again, I'm not speaking from a biased position, I have never drank alcohol in my life.

:buddies::toomuch:

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
Should Christians Oppose Social Drinking?
Posted : 17 Jun, 2015 07:16 AM

Romans 14, or any of Paul's writing, is an interesting read. I also used to believe that all drinking is wrong, and while I myself still do not drink, I no longer believe that alcohol is sinful. Drunkenness is sinful, creating stumbling blocks for weak people is sinful, but temperately drinking alcohol is not sinful. If you go down the road of condemning it, many many other things fall into the same or similar categories, and it's the pathway to righteousness by works. What Paul says is that a strong believer, the ones with great faith, they understand that eating meat offered to idols is no problem, only if it causes a brother or sister to stumble. I believe that principle applies to anything not directly labeled as a sin by God's word. A strong believer, one with great faith, understands that alcohol is not evil by itself.

Matthew 15

10And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand: 11Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man

Romans 14

13Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way. 14I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean. 15But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died. 16Let not then your good be evil spoken of: 17For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. 18For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men. 19Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another. 20For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence. 21It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak. 22Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth. 23And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

"in essentials, unity; in doubtful matters, liberty; in all things, charity."

I take the approach now to live my belief as an example, and not drink at all; to recommend that people not drink, and give good practical explanations as to why not; but I cannot say that drinking is bad or sinful or forbidden. It is simply not biblical, and trying to determine which word meaning goes where stops making sense after a while. It is absolutely sinful and irresponsible to get drunk. Drunkenness is condemned throughout the bible, and alcohol is absolutely not allowed for people in high authority positions. However, alcohol is just as responsible for drunkenness as food is for gluttony. The problem is inside a person's heart and mind.

Here is a distinction that Paul makes between bishops(head of the church) and deacons(stewards of the church). One has the most authority in the church, one has less authority. (Caps added for emphasis).

1Timothy 3

1This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work. 2A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; 3NOT GIVEN TO WINE, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; 4One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; 5(For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?) 6Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil. 7Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

8Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, NOT GIVEN TO MUCH WINE, not greedy of filthy lucre; 9Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience. 10And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless. 11Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things. 12Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well. 13For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Both have the same requirement given for greed, but not for wine. This makes a perfect distinction that identifies the type of "wine" in question, and allows the use of "alcoholic wine" for those who have less responsibility and authority, BUT not to drunkenness.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
wives sumit to your husands.......
Posted : 3 Jun, 2015 06:27 AM

Little caveat though, wives should never submit to a husband that wants them to disobey Christ.

"The question is often asked, �Shall a wife have no will of her own?� The Bible plainly states that the husband is the head of the family. �Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands.� If this injunction ended here, we might say that the position of the wife is not an enviable one; it is a very hard and trying position in very many cases, and it would be better were there fewer marriages. Many husbands stop at the words, �Wives, submit yourselves,� but we will read the conclusion of the same injunction, which is. �As it is fit in the Lord.�

God requires that the wife shall keep the fear and glory of God ever before her. Entire submission is to be made only to the Lord Jesus Christ, who has purchased her as His own child by the infinite price of His life. God has given her a conscience, which she cannot violate with impunity. Her individuality cannot be merged into that of her husband, for she is the purchase of Christ. It is a mistake to imagine that with blind devotion she is to do exactly as her husband says in all things, when she knows that in so doing, injury would be worked for her body and her spirit, which have been ransomed from the slavery of Satan. There is One who stands higher than the husband to the wife; it is her Redeemer, and her submission to her husband is to be rendered as God has directed��as it is fit in the Lord.�

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
"THE GOSPEL OF CHRIST"
Posted : 3 Jun, 2015 06:22 AM

Did anyone mention Acts 8?

34And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man? 35Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus. 36And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? 37And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. 38And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him. 39And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

I have to mention though, baptism does not save anyone. Baptism is a natural and public response to a spiritual rebirth. Just like the fruits of the spirit are the changes AFTER giving your life to Christ, so is baptism. When Christ asked us to remember His body and blood with bread and the fruit of the vine, we do it because He commanded. When He told us to go and baptize, we do it because He commanded.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
There were Chrestians in the first century, but no Christians
Posted : 3 Jun, 2015 06:07 AM

I'm not trying to sound contrary, but you're talking about language. If you're worried about the word "christian", which is only one letter different, try reading the original king james bible. If we don't have the fruites of the spirit, or the mercie of God, then we're in trouble.

Apparently, both "chrestian", and "christian" mean "follower of Christ" in principle, so to quote a well-intentioned researcher on the subject:

"I can't find myself giving a toss."

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
THE JEWISH HOLOCAUST HOAX!
Posted : 14 Apr, 2015 06:05 AM

I just heard someone insist that the earth is hollow, and I think that conspiracy is more believable. If the holocaust were a hoax, maybe Jesus was a hoax? There were far fewer eye-witnesses and credible sources for Jesus than there are for the holocaust, and if it were possible to deceive the millions of people involved in WW2 and the holocaust, than surely it would be far easier to trick a bunch of superstitious sheepherders and fishermen into thinking a poor carpenter was the messiah. AND Jesus was a JEW. GASP. I honestly don't understand why people waste their time on this stuff. Let's imagine that the holocaust was a hoax. Let's think about our duty as Christians in that context. Hmm....absolutely nothing changes. Love everybody. Don't gossip. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10