Author Thread
DontHitThatMark

View Profile
predestination vs free will > What do you think?
Posted : 16 Sep, 2014 07:49 AM

Thanks for your input, Spiritlover. However, I do believe in Christ, and I think you're stepping into God's realm in your apparent condemnation of me and my beliefs. I confess right now that Jesus is the Son of God and Lord of my life. I've been baptized, my life has been changed, I can call you a brother, and you really have no place deciding how my walk with God is going and your accusations are not welcome. I'd recommend, if you're concerned at all with evangelism or showing mercy, that you change your approach to those your consider unbelievers or heretics, you know, the ones you're supposed to love and win to Christ. I do not see the love of Christ in your approach, I see an accuser of the brethren. At best, you can say that some of my beliefs are in error and that you'd like to help me back on the path, but you cannot say that I do not believe at all. You do not know me, otherwise you could judge me by my fruits and not simply on something you personally consider a doctrinal error.

1 Corinthians 13

Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away.

Matthew 7

1For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

18A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. 21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

2 Timothy 2

24And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

1 John 4

15Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God. 16And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him. 17Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world. 18There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. 19We love him, because he first loved us. 20If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? 21And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

Luke 10

25And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? 26He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? 27And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. 28And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live. 29But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?

Hi, neighbor! As far as your biblical support, I think it can be explained very easily with the concept of the foreknowledge of God. God did NOT predestine before He foreknew, He predestined after He foreknew. So at worst, we are actors who have not read the script. That still allows free will to exist, there is no reason to make God the cause of sin.

Romans 8

28And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. 29For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Joshua 24

15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Also, consider this parable.

Matthew 22

1And Jesus answered and spake unto them again by parables, and said, 2The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son, 3And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come. 4Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage. 5But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise: 6And the remnant took his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them. 7But when the king heard thereof, he was wroth: and he sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city. 8Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy. 9Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage. 10So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests. 11And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment: 12And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless. 13Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. 14For many are called, but few are chosen.

God called all of those people to the feast. The first group(the Jews, God's chosen people) disrespected the invitation and were destroyed. The second group was gathered from everywhere, as many as the king's servants could find, and brought into the feast. But somehow, even among those gathered into the feast, there was still one who was not accepted. I'll reiterate that point. One was called, and let into the feast, but trusted on his own works instead of Christ's sacrifice and was cast out.

Luke 18

42And Jesus said unto him, Receive thy sight: thy faith hath saved thee.

Ephesians 2

8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God. 9Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Ezekiel 33

12 Therefore, thou son of man, say unto the children of thy people, The righteousness of the righteous shall not deliver him in the day of his transgression: as for the wickedness of the wicked, he shall not fall thereby in the day that he turneth from his wickedness; neither shall the righteous be able to live for his righteousness in the day that he sinneth.13 When I shall say to the righteous, that he shall surely live; if he trust to his own righteousness, and commit iniquity, all his righteousnesses shall not be remembered; but for his iniquity that he hath committed, he shall die for it.14 Again, when I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; if he turn from his sin, and do that which is lawful and right;15 If the wicked restore the pledge, give again that he had robbed, walk in the statutes of life, without committing iniquity; he shall surely live, he shall not die.16 None of his sins that he hath committed shall be mentioned unto him: he hath done that which is lawful and right; he shall surely live.17 Yet the children of thy people say, The way of the Lord is not equal: but as for them, their way is not equal.18 When the righteous turneth from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, he shall even die thereby.19 But if the wicked turn from his wickedness, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall live thereby.

Again, a recommendation. Even if you disagree, a better approach for the future will be to engage those who disagree in a respectful, caring manner in order to persuade them to the truth. And yes, it's possible to persuade people.

Acts 18:4

And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.

Perhaps I'm like Saul, the pharisee, a man we all would consider an unbeliever, who by the power of God transforms into Paul, the great evangelist. If there's hope for Saul, there has to be hope for me. Maybe you can help me. Maybe you're sent to this forum to convert a whole bunch of Sauls. Or, maybe you are like a Saul? Is it possible?

:peace::peace:

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
predestination vs free will > What do you think?
Posted : 15 Sep, 2014 07:30 AM

I really don't like to see this topic come up because it only seems to create division, but perhaps we can keep it civil this time. I once went to a bible study with a friend of mine who believes in predestination. We talked about free will quite a bit, but were able to still respect each other's walk with Christ. When I was at the study, we were sitting at a table with 3 other "predestinators" and they started asking me questions about my beliefs. It turned into quite the discussion, but I actually was able to convince one to my point of view, and another one said that he could see my point, but "Romans 9" was the end all argument for him. The third person was the pastor of the study, and he and his wife ended up accusing me of idolatry(because I made up my own god) and wouldn't talk with me anymore(not very good teachers). Later, I decided to really study Romans 9 and try to see why it was held up as the end all argument for predestination. In Romans 9, I discovered that Paul is quoting from the book of Jeremiah, which sheds some light on the principles Paul was teaching.

Jeremiah 18

6 O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith Jehovah. Behold, as the clay in the potter's hand, so are ye in my hand, O house of Israel.

7 At what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up and to break down and to destroy it;

8 if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them.

9 And at what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it;

10 if they do that which is evil in my sight, that they obey not my voice, then I will repent of the good, wherewith I said I would benefit them.

**This is consistent with the rest of the book of Romans and the rest of Paul's letters. In the book of Jonah, Nineveh was a sinful city of gentiles in the old testament, and God sent them a prophet and told them they were to be destroyed. They repented, and God spared them. The reason this is significant is because these people were not Jews, so even though Israel sinned and repented many times, this example holds double significance because the people were not "God's chosen people".

Romans 10

8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach:

9 because if thou shalt confess with thy mouth Jesus as Lord, and shalt believe in thy heart that God raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved:

10 for with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be put to shame.

12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek: for the same Lord is Lord of all, and is rich unto all that call upon him:

13 for, Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

15 and how shall they preach, except they be sent? even as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that bring glad tidings of good things!

16 But they did not all hearken to the glad tidings. For Isaiah saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

Romans 11

17 But if some of the branches were broken off, and thou, being a wild olive, wast grafted in among them, and didst become partaker with them of the root of the fatness of the olive tree;

18 glory not over the branches: but if thou gloriest, it is not thou that bearest the root, but the root thee.

19 Thou wilt say then, Branches were broken off, that I might be grafted in.

20 Well; by their unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by thy faith. Be not highminded, but fear:

21 for if God spared not the natural branches, neither will he spare thee.

22 Behold then the goodness and severity of God: toward them that fell, severity; but toward thee, God's goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

23 And they also, if they continue not in their unbelief, shall be grafted in: for God is able to graft them in again.

24 For if thou wast cut out of that which is by nature a wild olive tree, and wast grafted contrary to nature into a good olive tree; how much more shall these, which are the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?

1 Corinthians 9:26

I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Hebrews 10:26

For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins.

Romans 5:12-21

Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law. Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come. But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many. And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification. For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.) Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

**There are many many more verses I could quote here, but I'm just trying to limit it to Romans 9 and Paul's writings for now since it was held up as the last argument a man had before he would believe in free will. God will do His will, but He also has said many times that His will is for us to have the option to repent (unless we sin against the Holy Spirit). To me, that means we have free will, not apart from God, but by His mercy. We could never repent unless God was first merciful. I believe we have free will, that Christ died for all men everywhere, and that we must take heed lest we fall into unbelief after we have tasted the grace of God. I do not believe the bible teaches predestination, limited atonement, or unconditional salvation.

Just as a quick example of the rest of the evidence, we can go to the beginning of sin, and see what God says about men.

Gensis 3:22

And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know both good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.

God notes very early in the bible that man knows both good and evil, just like God does. Men continued in sin until they knew only darkness, which is why God sent Jesus to bring knowledge of the light, but that does not mean man lost his free will. God winks at our ignorance until we are aware of the knowledge of the truth, and then we are called to repent from our evil ways. Jesus came to reverse the damage done at the tree of good and evil, bringing us the same type of choice that Adam and Eve had in the garden, to know both good and evil, but this time to choose the good, to trust God again by the knowledge of His sacrifice on our behalf.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
Christians in politics
Posted : 15 Sep, 2014 06:26 AM

The apostles and Jesus were under the influence of the Jewish and Roman governments, both of which were corrupt and sinful. I don't think our government is quite as bad yet, even though it is not safe for a christian to endorse certain views. Either way, we're not supposed to shove Christianity down people's throats, or run and hide from "the world". We're called to be in the world but not of it. As far as legislation goes, I think we're supposed to vote for what we personally believe and advocate, so if we're christian, our political stance should be merciful, but holding fast to what is good.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
KEEP His commandments
Posted : 15 Sep, 2014 06:04 AM

Christ is also our example. We are to walk as He walked. Love is the fulfillment of the law, love does no harm to God or to our neighbor, therefore a christ-like person will fulfill the law just like Christ did.

Romans 13:10

Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Matt 5:17

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.

Galatians 5

13For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. 14For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 15But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. 24And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts 25If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
KEEP His commandments
Posted : 12 Sep, 2014 07:56 AM

John 8:11

"And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more"

1 John 3:4

"Sin is the transgression of the law"

Matthew 5:17

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

Jeremiah 31:33, Hebrews 10:16

"This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them"

Hebrews 10:26

"For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?"

Galatians 3:24

"Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster."

1 Corinthians 9:27

"I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway."

2 Peter 1:4

"Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust."

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
SNAKES!!!!!
Posted : 12 Sep, 2014 07:36 AM

Humans are pretty evil, but thankfully we're still one of God's creatures. I'd say the same for snakes. God must have at least told Noah to put two snakes on the ark. Our environment is perverting and degrading and mutating our genes and DNA, but humans were still created by God. An interesting related point is that mosquitoes(another annoying creature), when they were originally designed, were probably more like butterflies, but because their food sources have degraded and contain fewer nutrients, they've adapted to use more nutrient rich sources, like blood. Snakes may have had a similar adaptation to help them survive the violence and harsh conditions that we face since the flood destroyed God's perfect environment.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
KEEP His commandments
Posted : 9 Sep, 2014 07:59 AM

"And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more"

"Sin is the transgression of the law"

The law is a schoolmaster until we come to a full knowledge of what Christ was trying to teach us. Yes, Christ is the fulfillment of the ceremonial laws, the ones written by Moses on parchment and placed outside the Ark of God, those ended at the cross. The 10 commandment law, spoken by God from Mt Sinai, written by His finger into stone, and placed inside the Ark of God, did not end at the cross. Love is the fulfillment of that 10 commandment law, and conversely, love does not transgress the 10 commandment law.

If you love God, you shouldn't worship false gods.

If you love God, you shouldn't create false idols.

If you love God, you shouldn't misrepresent Him.

If you love God, you should honor Him as your creator.

If you love your fellow man, you should honor your parents.

If you love your fellow man, you shouldn't murder.

If you love your fellow man, you shouldn't commit adultery.

If you love your fellow man, you shouldn't steal.

If you love your fellow man, you shouldn't bear false witness.

If you love your fellow man, you shouldn't covet.

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

"This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them"

"For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?"

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
Are you a Good Person ???
Posted : 8 Sep, 2014 10:28 AM

1 John 3

4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Romans 6

1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 2God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

This is how God deals with someone who has been forgiven a great debt, but does not change their heart.

Matthew 18:21-35

21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?

22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

23 Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.

24 And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents.

25 But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.

26 The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.

27 Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.

28 But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.

29 And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.

30 And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.

31 So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done.

32 Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:

33 Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?

34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.

35 So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

Jesus paraphrased the commandments of God in this way:

He answered, "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.''

Paul added this clarification of what love means in this context. Love works no ill toward your neighbor:

Romans 13

"8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. 9For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 10Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law."

You can replace "neighbor" with "God" as well, using Jesus's words:

Thou shalt love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind. Love worketh no ill toward God, therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

In this way, you fulfill the royal law of liberty, and every command of scripture.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
KEEP His commandments
Posted : 8 Sep, 2014 10:14 AM

1 John 3

4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Romans 6

1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 2God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Romans 13

"8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. 9For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 10Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law."

Matthew 5

16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

17Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

James 2

8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well: 9But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors. 10For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. 11For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law. 12So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty. 13For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.

1 John 2

1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: 2And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. 3And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. 4He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. 6He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

John 15

9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. 10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

We're supposed to keep the commandments like Jesus kept His father's commandments, to walk as He walked, to be changed into His likeness, to let the light of our good works shine, to be obedient unto death.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
The DOMINICAL DECREE / LAW !! (Series A: part: 1)
Posted : 28 Aug, 2014 06:50 AM

Hoosier, the disciples technically met together everyday, the point is that there is a law and a command to honor God's creative work, there is no command for honoring the first day.

It wasn't until some time after Constantine made Christianity the Roman Empires official religion that the first day of the week began to be considered more holy. Sunday was the main religious day of the pagan religion of the time, and in the same way that the church adopted the pagan idols and associated them with apostles, they also changed and adopted pagan feasts and holy days(Easter, Christmas, All Saints day/Halloween, Sun day, etc) and gave them Christian meaning. They also adopted the pagan "priest" and "virgin" castes, and renamed the idols and worship of the pagan god Diana to represent a sinless Mary, the mother of Jesus. All of that is evidence to support the idea that Man-made tradition supplanted the many of doctrines of the church and the commands of God until the reformation started to clean things up.

Additionally, the term "the Lord's Day" was simply hijacked for use with the first day. There is no association of the term "Lord's Day" with the first day of the week. Jesus said that the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath, that's the only place in the bible that gives a clue about which day is the Lord's Day. Anyway, I just feel that anything associated with pagan tradition and that is put before a command of God or a truth that the bible teaches, is absolutely not a good thing. God will wink at our ignorance if we simply don't know what we're supposed to do, but we should be seeking the truth so that we can truly be free. If we're willfully following a tradition of man, we're not free in Christ, we're slaves to men and their constantly changing ideas.

Isaiah 58:13-14

13 If thou turn away thy foot from the Sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the Sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honorable; and shalt honor him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.

And yes, I do believe we can worship God all the time and anywhere, but that is still not the issue. God made a day holy, apart from the other days, to honor Him as our creator. The first day was not made holy by God.

Page : 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13