Author Thread: Listen
Admin

Listen
Posted : 27 Sep, 2020 06:57 AM

Scripture: Isaiah 50: 4-5

The Lord God has given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him who is weary. He awakens me morning by morning. He awakens my ear to hear as the learned.

The Lord has opened my ear and I was not rebellious. Nor did I turn away.

Insight: The ability to counsel others is from the Lord, He is the one who will give the right words to say (or not to say) when comforting or counseling someone;

- The ability to listen well is first practiced by listening to God – morning by morning – and being obedient to what He says.

Application: God is able to instruct me on how to be a good listener and counselor. Therefore, I will

-spend time listening to the Lord, everyday

-be obedient to what the Lord tells me to do

-listen well when someone needs and asks for a listening ear

-ask God for wisdom in giving encouragement or counsel to others

Prayer: Lord, give me the passion to hear from you everyday. Give me the gift of listening and teach my heart to be obedient to what you tell me to do. Please help me to practice compassion to others and lead my lips to speak words that will be beneficial to those who hears them.

Thank you , Jesus. Amen.

Marcouse

View Profile
History
Listen
Posted : 27 Sep, 2020 07:23 PM

Get your debts paid down, put away food, water and cash while you still can.

View Profile
History
Listen
Posted : 28 Sep, 2020 02:31 AM

Marcouse: I would like to hear the context of your reply in this post.

Quiznos

View Profile
History
Listen
Posted : 29 Sep, 2020 04:58 AM

Ned,

The problem with using a study book written ny man, is that most of the time the context is left.

The scripture you posted leaves out who this section of Scripture is talking about, and the events surrounding the person.

I believe you would be better off learning to read, study and translate the Scriptures, as the 50th chspter of Isaiah is about Messiah, Yashua Ha Maschiach, the SON of GOD Almighty.

Isaiah 50

1 Thus says the LORD, "Where is your mother's bill of divorce, with which I have put her away? Or to which of My creditors have I sold you? Behold, you yourselves were sold for your iniquities, and your mother is put away for your transgressions.

2 Therefore, when I came, why was no one there? When I called no one answered. Is My hand shortened at all so that it cannot redeem? Or have I no power to deliver? Behold, at My rebuke I dry up the sea, I make the rivers a wilderness; their fish stink because there is no water, and die for thirst.

3 I clothe the heavens with blackness, and I make sackcloth their covering."

4 "The Lord GOD has given Me the tongue of the learned, to know to help the weary with a word. He awakens Me morning by morning, He awakens my ear to hear as one being taught.

5 The Lord GOD has opened My ear, and I was not rebellious, nor turned away backwards.

6 I gave My back to the smiters, and My cheeks to them that plucked off the hair; I did not hide My face from shame and spitting,

7 For the Lord GOD will help Me; therefore I have not been disgraced. On account of this I have set My face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed.

8 He is near who justifies Me; who will contend with Me? Let us stand together; who is My adversary? Let him come near Me.

9 Behold, the Lord GOD will help Me; who is he who shall condemn Me? Lo, they all shall grow old like a garment; the moth shall eat them.

10Who among you fears the LORD, who obeys the voice of His servant, who walks in darkness and has no light? Let him trust in the name of the LORD and rely upon his God.

11Behold, all you who kindle a fire, who gird yourselves with firebrands; walk in the light of your fire, and in the sparks which you have kindled. This you shall have of My hand--you shall lie down in sorrow."

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Listen
Posted : 30 Sep, 2020 12:28 PM

Nedthur, when you want us to “listen to God”, are you encouraging us to understand the written Word of God, the Bible, or are you encouraging us to hear voices that we can assume is God speaking directly to us ?

View Profile
History
Listen
Posted : 3 Oct, 2020 01:26 AM

Quiznos: You are right in saying that the context of Isaiah 50 is Jesus; there are a lot of passages in Isaiah that were quoted in the Gospels.

What I am trying to share here is that as Christians, we are to follow Jesus’ example on how we deal with other people. We practice compassion when we listen to others.

Little David: Yes. When we let the Word of God speak to us and do what it says, that’s how we listen to God.

Have a great week-end ahead!

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Listen
Posted : 3 Oct, 2020 11:32 AM

Nedthur, thank you for your answers.

I don’t mean to grill you harshly, I just wanted to know where you stand.

I think you’re genuine

I’m asking because of the many deviations, unbelief and out right disobedience that characterizes modern “Evangelical Christianity” today.

In fact, the terms “Evangelical” and “Christian” have become so muddled and eroded by certain tendencies to accommodate false teaching.

It’s gotten to the point some believers resist using either term in a positive sense.

One of the worse examples, of accommodation includes the inadvertent rejection of the trustworthiness of the Word of God, starting as early as Genesis 1 .

In Genesis 1, many Christians favor a humanistic interpretation of Genesis 1 which may include all evolution doctrine or parts of it and it’s millions and billions of years of age

Seems to me you’re genuine.

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Listen
Posted : 4 Oct, 2020 01:58 PM

Christians should follow the Word of God and be obedient.

Only Jesus is perfect.

Man is human and will never be Perfect in character.

Yes, we should practice kindness and compassion.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Listen
Posted : 7 Oct, 2020 05:33 PM

You’re right, we should practice kindness to all. Unfortunately, some Christians practice “christian lite-love” instead of costly love. Christian lite-love is sorta like “Pepsi lite”, no power, kinda weak

The trouble with that, the world also does nice little things to its friends. The world and “christian lite-love” is only nice it’s friends too.

Real Christian love is the kind of love that loves just like God loves, which even dies for its enemies, something non believers and Christian “lite-loves” would never do

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Listen
Posted : 7 Oct, 2020 05:35 PM

Love for Enemies

Matthew 5:43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[i] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

View Profile
History
Listen
Posted : 9 Oct, 2020 05:03 AM

Moonlight and Little David: Yes, we get disappointed and we disappoint others because we cannot love perfectly. We appreciate morefully the love that God has for us because He loved and loves and will continue to love us despite our imperfections.

Little David: I have come across that same verse about ‘loving your enemies’ this week. I believe that more than praying to be loving towards others, I need more intentional actions - like listening to those who may have a different view than the one that I have - to be obedient to God’s message on this.

Praying both of you have a restful weekend ahead 🙏

Page : 1 2 3