Author Thread: Trying not to be bitter and cynical.
bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Trying not to be bitter and cynical.
Posted : 19 May, 2011 09:50 PM

I've really been struggling for about a month with a feeling of bitterness. I've also found myself becoming cynical. Yes, it usually has to do with the fact that I'm still single. My 28th birthday is only 6 days away. My mom was 28 when she got married...but she met my dad when she was 27. I haven't met anyone yet.

I don't want to be bitter and cynical. I know those aren't attractive qualities. They SURE aren't very Christ-like. The only way I know of to deal with them, though, is to pray really hard, spend time in God's Word, and keep myself as busy as possible.

Any thoughts on how to deal with bitterness and cynicism? I know the "right" answers...I want practical answers!

apcameron

View Profile
History
Posted : 27 May, 2011 05:59 PM

bcpianogal

I will pray for you.

Sometimes we do not see God's Plan for our lives until we look back.

One thing I know is that since my wife passed away it is only with God's help that I have been able to live each day without her.

He has been faithful in answering my prayers and I know he will answer your prayers and help you in his timing.

cowgirl1984

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Jun, 2011 09:47 PM

BC, You are so totally not alone!!! I will be coming up on 27 in a few months, and the last year or so I have been understanding my older sister's frustrations. It doesn't help that our mom got married at 18! I'm thankful that I did not marry young, but sometimes it gets frustrating that I still haven't met anyone, especially since I want to know someone for a few years before tying the knot. I think it is hard sometimes for men and women to communicate on this topic because many men often take a different approach to emotions than most women do. What I know I do NOT want is to be so desperate to marry someone that I fall for some guy's lines while he is still married and then marry him very shortly after he gets divorced because I feel like I'm just getting too old to have to keep waiting. (I have a friend who did this, and I guess she's happy, but it hasn't been very long. Not to mention it was wrong...) So I'm just going to keep plugging along and throwing the occasional "pity party" myself :goofball: My personal favorite way to throw a pity party is get some semi-sweet bakers chocolate and dry figs and make chocolate covered figs to eat while drinking tea and watching a good movie or tv show. Then maybe "spoil" myself by giving myself a home spa treatment or doing my hair up nice for no reason at all. Sometimes we ladies just need to pamper ourselves. I am finally happy the last few years just being single, but that doesn't mean I don't get down sometimes because I haven't found someone. It is okay sometimes to just say, "It SUCKS being single!!!!!" because sometimes it just does!

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Jun, 2011 09:59 AM

Cowgirl, I was hoping you would get desperate enough to marry a old farrt like me!

:excited:

Okay not really, wish you the best and wish you were older....no....wish I was younger!...lol

cowgirl1984

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jun, 2011 10:48 PM

:ROFL: Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll stick with the chocolate covered figs :eat: I'm sure you understand!

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Jul, 2011 06:47 AM

from the end of an article here:

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/267677/jewish/Wipe-Out-Amalek-Today.htm

..."But this doesn't mean that Amalek has disappeared. Amalek is alive and well today, albeit in a different form. No longer a foreign nation, today's Amalek is an internal enemy. We each have an Amalekite lurking within our very self. The inner Amalek is unholy cynicism. That little voice inside each of us that derides, belittles and attacks truth and goodness; our irrational tendency to mock people who act morally, to be cynical when we see altruism, to doubt our own or other's sincerity - these are the modern day Amalekites. They wage a lethal war with our soul. If we let it, cynicism can kill our every attempt to improve ourselves and smother any move towards refining our character and expressing our soul.

There is only one effective response to Amalek's attacks: Annihilation. Don't argue back, it won't work. The power of cynicism is that it is irrational. The most inspiring, uplifting and profound moment of spiritual awakening can be dismissed in an instant by Amalek's sarcastic taunts. The most logical and sound arguments can be deflected with his quick one-liners -- "Get real!", "Who ya kidding?" or "Hey, you think you're so holy-moly?" There is no answer to such cheap pot-shots. You can't fight cynicism with reason. Just wipe it out. No dialogue. No compromise. Erase it from the face of your soul.

Next time your cynical Amalekite raises his ugly head, stomp on it. Beat him at his own game: Do good things for no good reason. Be kind without an explanation. Love your fellow irrationally. Become the hero of your own inner battle, and free your captured soul--kill an Amalekite today."

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Jul, 2011 04:09 PM

Try? It's a choice of renewing the mind alone or asking another Christian you trust to help you.

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Jan, 2012 03:33 PM

Bitterness and cynicism are all that's left. In a world where everyone's only looking out for themselves, what other recourse is left? I read my Bible every day. I consider it a gift from the Creator himself. On the pages of this Most Holy book, there is no shortage of violence, rape, warfare and torture; just like in our modern times. Yet through it all, we are told to remain faithful to the end. We're not told that it's going to be easy. We're not told that we'll always be surrounded by those we love and respect. We're not told that we'll find our perfect mate and grow together in the Holy Spirit. So rejoice in the fact that YHWH is looking after you and protecting you from the users and con-artists of the world until He sets you up with someone truly worthy of you. Shalom!

Page : 1 2 3