Author Thread: What is the right response to wink?
Admin

What is the right response to wink?
Posted : 3 Oct, 2014 04:12 AM

IMHO, I find winks confusing. I am not a huge fan of it.

I just feel like the guy is either too shy or too lazy to send a message. Eitherway, I don't know how to respond to it. Yes, I do peek at my winkers' profiles and it's sad sometimes, because though they seem nice, I just can't stop thinking that maybe they're too timid or just plain lazy. Hence, I end up not responding. Who wants a timid/lazy guy anyways?

I am just wondering if my thoughts about winks are valid.

Why do guys send winks? What do they expect out of it?

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 Oct, 2014 06:53 AM

Hi, I recently joined this site and was wondering about the wink thing. I think it is sometimes useful as a kind of first response from someone. I mean, if I really liked the sound and look of someone I might think they wouldn't be interested in talking to me at all if I contacted them straight away, but if they get a wink from me, they can send one back as a way of saying it's okay to approach them. Have I got it completely wrong ? I don't want to offend anyone or make myself look lazy by sending winks.:glow:

AriFi

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 Oct, 2014 08:04 AM

Exactly - I interpret winks as "hi" and I would expect another "wink" as "hi".

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 Oct, 2014 12:57 PM

I think it's like the guys ahead of me have said. I consider it the electronic equivalent of a shy smile across the room. If it's returned, then perhaps the initiator will feel like opening a conversation.

I'm more direct than all that, but understand that many are not.

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 Oct, 2014 03:19 PM

I see..from a woman's perspective, messages are preferred. I don't know about guys. Would u rather get a wink or a message from a woman?

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 Oct, 2014 03:21 PM

did u get responses from the winks?

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Oct, 2014 11:15 AM

A wink is a risk free way of gauging interest, it's permissible to ignore a wink but rude to ignore a message.

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Oct, 2014 04:25 PM

Touch�. That's the thing though, "the wink" is an avenue for missed opportunities. Too safe. Most guys probably already sent a wink to their future wife.

AriFi

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Oct, 2014 04:03 AM

DianFyr: "I see..from a woman's perspective, messages are preferred. I don't know about guys. Would u rather get a wink or a message from a woman?"

Rambo 919: "A wink is a risk free way of gauging interest, it's permissible to ignore a wink but rude to ignore a message."

Interesting. I would think that not replying to wink is rude too.

I would say that "wink-wink" means "hi-hi" and then anybody may or may not start a conversation.

I have a related problem with how to interpret "favorites". For me it means not just "perhaps I shall marry this woman/man" but also "I like this person" or "I'd like to have this person as a friend".

Maybe we should have two categories "hope-to-date" and "favorite". How do you view this?

In general, I think dating-sites should not be obsessed with dating. You know a person through interaction not just with you but with many other people as well. And anyway, being well married is good but not the most important in life, as we Christian know :-)

deblives4him

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Oct, 2014 05:28 PM

Interesting topic. Equally interesting replies. I noticed right away the dislike many have about winks. However, as an older gal, I'm still accustomed to men making the first move & it seems perfectly alright with me if they show interest with a wink. I like all the guys' answers. I think we need to stop judging winks & the people who send them. Let's approach all things with a positive perspective. We can open a door to conversation by replying to a wink. In no way does a wink have to be looked at as being shy (what's wrong with that?) or lazy. Consider it polite. Like the man said, a friendly smile. Would you like a healthy grab at first meeting? I wouldn't. Just another perspective & certainly not the only one! Personally, I prefer a guy to make the first move, but it seems that online friendships are primarily initiated by women.

Is that a true statement, guys?

flyby

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Oct, 2014 07:45 PM

Wella at the risk of soundin like a gatherer deb, Id have to agree with ya, yes for me more times than not friendships are primarily initiated by women.

Page : 1 2 3 4