Author Thread: Is a self defence couse acceptable for christian women?
meeky200

View Profile
History
Is a self defence couse acceptable for christian women?
Posted : 21 Apr, 2017 01:39 AM

Is it a good idea to think about visiting a self defence course?

Is it against the will of God to hurt a person or is to okay is the person wants to hurt you?

CuriousGeorge

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Apr, 2017 09:46 PM

Is it acceptable? Why would it not be? If someone was trying to kill you would you defend yourself or roll over and die?

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Apr, 2017 11:21 PM

Well, Jesus said turn the other cheek, but I am not sure I would be ready to do that. I do not want to learn self-defense fighting technique. If you see trouble, go around the block. Avoid it. Don't walk through trouble, knowing that you are going to fight them off if they attack you. Just avoid it. Don't go out at night alone, if you don't want to fight. I was once attacked at gunpoint. Two teenage black boys stuck a gun in my face and demanded that I give them everything I had, and no amount of karate would have saved me at that moment. This could happen to anyone. Ultimately, I think, being careful and praying can protect you more than a gun or Karate.

I have noticed that people who learn martial arts like to fight, and they can't wait to get attacked. So, instead of trying to avoid confrontation, they often seek out trouble. The purposely walk through the path of danger because they trust their own ability to fight off bad guys. And they want to fight. If you don't want to fight, then you get on the other side of the road. or you go around the block or avoid that bad neighborhood altogether and don't get out at night. I think, the best strategy is to try to avoid the dangerous situations altogether.

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Apr, 2017 02:16 AM

The best defence is remembering that reality does not care about opinion. Don't stupidly put yourself into dangerous situations and expect the world to treat you nicely because "it should". The best defence is not being a short-sighted idiot.

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Apr, 2017 09:11 AM

The weapon you can always bring with you is prayer with faith. Of course you can't tell the person come kill me, I will pray for you. But if you believe that God will never put you into a situation you may not be able to withstand or to die not according to His will, it will be done. I studied martial arts but was not able to use it for self defense. Self defense is putting trust to your own self, reason it is called self defense. God can never be lesser than any of us because if someone thinks he is something, he deceive himself. Praying works, and remembering the verse "Be strong and of good courage, be not frightened neither be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. " Joshua 1:9

View Profile
History
Posted : 30 Apr, 2017 01:58 PM

Nothing sinful against self defence, though don't expect it'll bail you out of all situations (you still can't stop bullets!), and it could give you a false sense of security or cause you to take unnecessary risks.

aChristianBoy

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 May, 2017 07:00 PM

In today's society where rapists and human traffickers are constantly increasing, learning self defense is practical and not sinful.

King David was a great warrior & fighter -- yet, he was known to be the "man after God's own heart".

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 May, 2017 04:59 PM

YES. I think it's totally acceptable. Especially if a woman's been in an abusive relationship. I've taken a R.A.D.self-defense course to prepare me for living by myself, and I recommend it to every woman. They've also got classes for men and children, too. It's kind of the reality we live in. Self-defense is not to be confused with martial arts, either - it's a systematic approach to dealing with various specific hypothetical situations and learning effective tools to deal with each one. What is the statistic now, 1 in every 4 women have been sexually abused/assaulted in their lifetime. If we are to honor God with our bodies, then we must learn how to defend against anything that would dishonor it - spiritually, YES, with prayer, but also physically as well, God made us both physical and spiritual creatures. I think getting choked/raped/molested/sexually harassed falls under the 'Dishonoring' category - for both men and women. Not standing up to a sinful world and saying 'NO' is like saying God is all soft hugs and rainbows.

View Profile
History
Posted : 27 May, 2017 02:10 PM

Why did Jesus tell his disciples to buy a sword?

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Jun, 2017 01:22 PM

Proverbs 21:31

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the Lord

Judges 5:24 Blessed above women shall Jael the wife of Heber the Kenite be, blessed shall she be above women in the tent.

25 He asked water, and she gave him milk; she brought forth butter in a lordly dish.

26 She put her hand to the nail, and her right hand to the workmen's hammer; and with the hammer she smote Sisera, she smote off his head, when she had pierced and stricken through his temples.

27 At her feet he bowed, he fell, he lay down: at her feet he bowed, he fell: where he bowed, there he fell down dead.

Yes, you can learn self defence, but trust in the Lord is more important than training. But you can do both!

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Jul, 2017 10:05 PM

Do you have a lock on your door? Why it deters criminals. Do you leave your money in plain sight? No, it makes it harder to steal.

The softest targets for criminals are the ones criminals always hit. The edlerly, the weak, the un-aware.

You should be a hard target. Maybe criminals would get an honest job as it would be the easiest way to get money. Same thing goes for your person.

Page : 1 2 3 4